SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

Should I repot my Kimberly Queen fern now?

Feathers11
5 years ago

About a year ago, I bought a Kimberly Queen fern that was on clearance. I've never had much luck with ferns indoors, but this one was so cheap--like $2--and I was desperate for some indoor greenery. I'm in zone 5a and I keep the house fairly cool (62-64 degrees) in winter. The fern was set near an east facing window and survived until spring. I repotted to a slightly bigger pot (orig. 4-inch up to 6-inch) with fresh soil. In the process, I divided it because there were 2 obvious offshoots. So, I ended up with the nice mama plant in a 6-inch pot and 2 smaller offshoots that I just plopped into small 3-inch cheap plastic pots that I had in the garage. Again, not expecting much but I enjoyed them all summer long.

If you're still following... fast forward to today, and all 3 plants (mama and babies) are doing well. But one of the babies started breaking out of its plastic pot. I assumed it was because the pot was a weak material but on closer inspection, there is a nodule or rhizome growing underneath that's forcing the roots to break out of the pot.

Can I repot it now, in the dead of winter here, so those poor roots have somewhere to go? I guess it can't hurt, right? I didn't expect it to live this long.

Comments (4)