SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisxiiii__

Does anyone make a practical and durable range?

louisxiiii .
5 years ago

I'm starting on a kitchen remodel, including replacing my 1979 Glenwood gas range. I've been looking at what is available, and after some thought, I just don't get it. All high end ranges and most lower end ones, have a cooktop covered in big heavy bare cast iron grates. My range has a porcelain surface on top, with small stainless steel platters around the burners, and thin porcelain coated grates made of welded sheet steel and wire.

Cleaning the modern stovetop after use requires lifting a series of heavy cast iron grates, and loading them carefully into an empty sink, because they would break anything else in the sink with them. I can toss my grates and burner pans into the sink with whatever else is in there easily without fear.

I imagine those heavy grates take a while to cool down. Mine are cool almost immediately after use.

Now that I'm looking at people's ranges, the ones with cast iron grates never look clean. They always look burnt, oily and stained. Mine still look pretty good after 39 years.

I'm told the cast iron grates will rust if left wet, like a frying pan.

I can use the space around my burners as a work surface for spoons, ingredient bottles, etc. Stuff will wobble or fall through the grates, and can't be retrieved until it all cools down.

Same if something flips out of a pan. I can pick it up off the porcelain top and toss it back in the pan, If it falls under a grate, it's gone.

But the modern grates are "Full Motion" meaning you can slide pans around easily. But who does that? And if the pan is so heavy that it can't be lifted a bit to move a foot, how are you going to lift it to serve the food? And if it's that heavy, it probably won't slide very easily.

I had been looking upscale in hopes of finding something that would be built to last like my '79, but the sales people tell me that they all will need replacing within 10 years. even the most expensive. Does anyone else find this appalling? I'm seriously considering having my existing range re-porcelained in a more appealing color, but the roof of the oven is corroded. I may be able to fasten a stainless steel sheet in place, and get it to live a while longer.

This all makes me think of Lamborghinis, which have qualities that are valuable to a professional race driver, but are useless on the road, plus are not as comfortable or pleasant to drive as a normal car. People buy them for lust, but have a Toyota (or something else practical) for when they just want to get somewhere easily. I don't think there are many people who have a fancy stove and a practical stove. I'm not even sure there is a practical Toyota-like stove on the market.

What do people think?

Comments (23)