SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rbrett

Outdoor ventfree Fireplace insert v Outdoor decorative gas appliance?

rbrett
5 years ago

We contracted to have a vent free outdoor gas fireplace insert installed on a screened porch in Ohio; where it gets cold. The unit recommended offered 55,000 BTU's which my research showed was more than sufficient to heat our 600 sq. foot screened porch. The only warning we received was to be sure not to enclose the porch as there was potential for carbon monoxide poisoning since it was not vented. No one asked us if we actually WANTED heat in a cold environment and I assumed with 55,000 BTU's there wasn't any question this thing would provide ample heat for our space. Silly me!

After the unit was installed, we noticed that those 55,000 BTU's did nothing to heat the actual porch area but instead, traveled straight up the front of the unit. So much so that the 8" deep floating wood mantle we planned to have installed approximately a foot above it became too hot (as in the finish was melting) that I had the carpenters remove it until I could figure out what was happening.

As they say, when all else fails, read the directions! So after reading the installations directions, that the contractor also failed to read, I noted that the specs required a 22" in clearance between the top of the firebox and the mantle. As I read further, it turns out we didn't get an actual fireplace insert but instead had an "Outdoor Decorative Gas Appliance" which apparently isn't designed to heat the space but simply to provide "ambiance." So essentially we purchased a $5,000 blow torch unit inside a reflective flame enhancing aluminum box POSING as a fireplace, complete with color changing LED disco lights, designed to provide "ambiance" but again, no heat. Unfortunately, my version of "ambiance" also includes being warm...not just hypnotized by the dancing flames. If I wanted that, I would have opted for a gel fuel unit and saved a ton of money!

We are currently in discussions as to where the communication broke down, why we would even want a heat free fireplace on an outdoor porch where it's cold and why I was wrong to assume that there might actually be heat coming from a 55,000 BTU unit. Apparently "people do this all the time" in Ohio. I'm thinking they probably don't know any better either and make the same assumptions. This may be a great outdoor option in warm environments like Palm Springs, Miami or LA...but not in Ohio where it snows!

BTW...had I known we were purchasing an "Outdoor Decorative Gas Appliance" I would have asked a lot more question a lot sooner! It was listed as a Gas Fireplace Insert on our bid and I didn't know what I didn't know! (I hope this discussion will help others avoid the same expensive mistake!)

The photo is a little dark but you'll note the mantle is actually laying on the floor. The 2" x 4" above the fire box is where we planned to install it, before we read the actual specs. Hanging the mantle 22" above the firebox would look goofy (it's over everyone's head!) So now we have several other issues involved; including the possibility of using a concrete non combustible mantle, installing a blower or my personal favorite, having the contractor replace the whole thing with something that is vented, has blowers and is designed to provide some heat for this area all the while looking fabulous.

Can someone with more knowledge in this area enlighten me about what options would be best to provide some heat to the area immediately adjacent and directly in front of the unit? Also, why have all those BTU's if all it does is "look good?" There's a significant amount of heat coming out of this unit! How might we be able to salvage this situation and redirect the heat safely? BTW, we're switch flipper city folk and not ax toting wood chopper types - so a wood burning unit is not an option for us.

Thank you!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus