SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannm2021

MGGS vs 511! 8 month update!

Jan
5 years ago

Hi all! hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas and happy new year to everybody! :)

last Year I posted on the topic of 511 and how I had rotted roots that fell off in chunks at repotting much like Alana’s experience so I decided to switch them to Brian’s soil the promix or use miracle gro garden soil like many on another citrus forum. Also to note that I moved most to clay pots so they can breathe better.

Anyways just a quick update on them now in the middle of winter. All of them actually held up very very very well:) I see no degrading of the soil and no compacting either I’m not sure if maybe it’s only been there for 8 months and it’s still too early too tell? Anyways, I water every 2 weeks as the soil is pretty dry then no fertilizer just rain wTer and a lot of them are starting to bud in new leaf growth and flowers. I had a couple dropped leaves from the var. Pink lemon and my finicky Meyer but I’m quite sure it’s because of the winter leaf drop Or perhaps just shedding of old leaves.

The conditions and environment of all my citrus: they’re in a single pane glass greenhouse and the greenhouse is able to keep temps of 40-50 degrees. Soil temp is at 40 or above. I get very little sun I believe 1 hour direct sun in the morning and that’s dappled sunlight through tall pine trees the rest of the day is indirect light. However the last month has been so cloudy I don’t even think I got any sunshine! I was just hoping to keep everything green and not drop leaves but I’m actually seeing growth guys! I’m so excited! :) I’ve included a bunch of pics!

first up my gold nugget

This is my cara cara and it’s showing growth every single where and it didn’t drop a single leaf

My Moro also blossoming and leaf growth some fruit but slow to grow bigger

Santa Theresa lemon no new growth no leaf loss but ripened fruits

Nzl new leaves and flowers

Kumquats Nagami no growth no leaf loss but fruit ripening

Close up of soil just watered yesterday

I forgot what this one was lol japanese mandarin of sorts

those are just a few!

Comments (30)