SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazerolm_3a

Your best pics of 2018

mazerolm_3a
5 years ago

Hi, would you like to share your best garden pictures of 2018? I'll go first! :)

My garden pictures · More Info

Comments (195)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Yes Paul so true! I too am swarming with deer and all the afore mentioned critters. My love hate relationship with the deer is turning decidedly to the hatred side. They are magnificent but they do not need to eat my garden. There is plenty of food for them.

I had a bear pressing it's face against the patio door whilst my dogs were inside furiously barking - until they ran cowering when it was so aggressive.

Here in the opening to the forest just steps away from my garden.

mazerolm_3a thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

Campanula..thanks for your nice comment..I've thoroughly enjoyed living in a "park"..I'm grouchy in the winter because I miss the tree canopy and plants so much!..it's so much fun to see everything grow back in the spring..

peren..I can't imagine seeing a bear that close to me..thank goodness it didn't hurt the dogs or you!..the deer in your picture look as if they're saying "what are YOU doing here?"..they're so destructive..you have my sympathy :-( I've had a similar level of disappointment when a branch has fallen and smashed something..a sickening feeling as you clean up the mess and see the damage..years of growth destroyed in a flash..

mazerolm_3a thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • Related Discussions

Pics of your best SWC veggies

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks, Farkee! I was pretty proud of it myself since it was my first attempt. I used a Gardener Supply SWC, the one they package as their Tomato Success kit. I chose that over an EB because it has a 1 gallon larger water reservoir. The season I grew that one I started off using Neptune Harvest Fish Hydrolysate and wasn't seeing good growth so I continued using it, but added Miracle Grow at the same time. That seemed to do the trick. I was using both products at full strength every week or two (wasn't disciplined about it). The year that one grew the vine was killed by frost a month earlier than normal so I was quite eager to try again the following year. Unfortunately I haven't had good luck. I have had problems with wind storms breaking the vines before they are large enough to reach and anchor to the ground and last year my dogs chewed a large vine that had set a fruit in half :( I have decided to give it a rest this year and try again in 2010 as the dogs just aren't mature enough yet for me to trust them to leave it alone. They get wild running around the yard chasing each other and become oblivious to what they are running into and over. I am going to try a few at a friends house along his wood line. These will be ground grown though as I won't be able to attend to them often. If I was doing it again I would do everything the same, but I would use Foliage Pro and Protekt in the reservoir at full strength every week, possibly more often. MG would be fine too, but I would want the calcium in the FP and the silicon in the PT. My opinion based on what I have seen with these pumpkins is that it's actually difficult to over fertilize them. I would encourage anyone to give them a try, they are a lot of fun and make impressive Halloween displays. The seeds are not much for roasting though, very tough and fibrous.
    ...See More

i need pics of your worst pest and best benie

Q

Comments (9)
    Ill Man, I don't have a lot of baddies. Would leaf miners be a good subject? I have some sharp easy to take pics of some on my tomatoes and gourds leaves. Too bad I didn't see this when in Chicago. It was like the whole town and 'burbs were over run with Benie's-Ladybugs Galore. They were everywhere we went! City, parks, malls and at DILs home. Very prolific. I'll hunt around for some other guys. Being gone a week has put me behind the 8-ball and I am not sure what all is out there! lol
    ...See More

My Home is on BH&G website under 'Your best 2009 decorating pics

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you hellokitty! I have an album on webshots & photobucket. I had the webshots one for back up incase my computer crashed which it did several times until I got a new computer & then started the Photobucketone for posting pics here. I will post them both for you. Thanks again for your sweet note! Bonnie http://community.webshots.com/user/bonniee04 Chrismas Last Year- 2008 http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/BonnieRebecca2008/ Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's at Photobucket
    ...See More

show pics of the best part of your island

Q

Comments (35)
    Taggie, I never even thought of that one. I can see how it would be good for cell phone chargers too. Great idea. Annie, another good idea for a charging station. Debra, I envy all the light you have! And heated granite too. Donnie, my plastics are that way too. I can find a lid but not the matching bowl or vice versa. I love those leather barstools. Makes me wish I had a place for them. We put in a speaker system too. Well, wired for it anyway. Speakers have not been bought, but we have the new receiver. Keep the ideas coming. They are all wonderful. Peke
    ...See More
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Recently posted this, though what the heck since it's my favorite shot of 2018 !

Never have seen a bear in my yard and hopefully never will, certainly don't want one pressing its nose up against the window and then what kind of dreams that would lead to during my sleep! You know, no one seems to be able to run very fast, if at all, while in dream and I also apparently have lost my previous powers of flight, lol! With that said, black bears are nearby, there's warning signs posted at the local park and a cougar was recently spotted a few subdivisions over .... mmm, no wonder the hairs on the back of my neck had always stood up while making those summer late evening rounds! And, yes, deer are a continuous pain that I must utilize a number tactics to keep at bay .... hopefully, that fence gets built this year!

mazerolm_3a thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Outstanding FrozeBudd! I do hope you get your fence up. I would love to put one up but the cost would be prohibitive.

For weeks after the bear incident I would peer all around the yard before going out to work in the garden. They are always present but normally the resident bears would not be so aggressive. The problem is twofold.

The Ministry of Natural Resources brings problem bears from the Ottawa area up into my area approx. 40 miles SW of. That year by early Aug. they had already dropped off 60 bears. These poor things have been displaced and do not know the lay of the land.

The 2nd and more disturbing to me is a neighbour who makes his living bringing in people to photograph the bears. He has dogs that "tree" them for the photo ops. I feel that bear at my door was actually after my innocent dogs. It was summer and the windows were open so it definitely heard them inside. The scariest part for me was that the night before I had fallen asleep on the couch with the patio door open. It could have pushed right through the screen!

5 years ago

peren..I saw your comment..then I decided to read a little about problem bears..what a sad and difficult situation :-( I don't really know but what your neighbor is doing seems illegal..wildlife is protected..stalking them as he does is cruel..I would be tempted to report this to someone..

5 years ago

Yes nicholsworth it does seem cruel. Hunting with dogs is allowed in Canada & the US at least in certain provinces & states so I suppose the only saving grace with my neighbour is that they are be photographed and not shot. This man is a seemingly nice fellow ( I know him slightly) and I knew his wife fairly well before she passed away. I have no problem with hunting but I think of this as harassment and cruelty. It really bothers me.

On a lighter note I have another very eccentric neighbour, a lady that drives around with a bullhorn warning the deer that the nasty hunters are out when the season starts. She harasses the hunters too. The Game Wardens told her to go inside and cease and desist or they would have to arrest her. They get a kick out of her but she has been told they are within their rights - you are not.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

nicholsworth I really like the stone edging, it looks so solid and neat. I wish I had more stone! -but I guess that's another thing that you either have too much of and wish you didn't, or don't have and envy those who do.

I have a few 'sagu kaku' seedlings which will hopefully be as nice as the real thing. They color up nice, but they'll still need to get a little bigger before I can see if they inherited the red stems.

Frozebudd -as far as I'm concerned you can post that picture as many times as you want! All that color is exactly what we need to get through the cold.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

How about tulip season?

and daffodils?

the tulips like my crappy, dry soil and actually spread around with the compost.
    the last two springs have been very wet though, and tulip fire (a tulip disease) has taken hold and I'm not sure how they will be next year... but I'm sure May will still be awesome!

If worse comes to worse I'll let this little thug of a wisteria take over.

Keep warm!

mazerolm_3a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

peren..I'm sure your neighbor thinks "it's no big deal..I'm not hurting the bears" but I disagree..letting dogs chase them is terrifying for them..I wish everyone loved animals..what a funny but sweet eccentric lady neighbor..she has a big heart but she needs to stop..she could get in trouble..

katob..thanks for the compliment!..I love our stone too..it makes walking around the lot so much nicer..it used to feel like an obstacle course..visitors didn't know the best way to go..now it's obvious..I can't wait until the plants fill in..it should look even better..I hope your Sango Kaku seedlings do well..as far as I know I haven't had any seedlings from mine..I've had a few Bloodgood seedlings but I would find the tops chewed off..none have survived..I tried marking them with rocks..I guess they needed a netted cover or wire cage??..

katob..after I hit submit I saw your spring pictures..beautiful!!..I LOVE all the colors..I have a few but NOT enough bulbs..

back again..FrozeBudd..I meant to say what a fantastic pic to share!..I love that you filled your open ground with a sea of blooms..it's wonderful..so great for the butterflies and bees..AND people..

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@katob: your tulips & daffodils are so beautiful!! Thanks for posting!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

Peren.all what a frightening story!! I can only imagine how that must have made you feel....and your poor dogs must have been traumatized also :(

Stay safe!!

mazerolm_3a thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@katob: could you please identify the plant with serrated leaves and tiny pink flowers in your first picture that’s in the middle of your tulips? The flowers look like bleeding hearts.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

It's a fern leaf bleeding heart - Dicentra formosa or eximia or a hybrid between the two :-)

mazerolm_3a thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had no idea dicentras bloomed so early! I’m impressed!

5 years ago

mazerolm D. 'Luxurient' blooms from early April (depending on how much snow I still have) until Oct. It is hardy to zone 2 or 3a and is a wonderful plant all around. I grow others but none compare to this one IME.

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok now I have to get one!!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Katob, your spring photos are gorgeous and the shot with the hedge and tall yellow tulips just calls out, "come take a stroll" and being one I'd say is magazine worthy, love it! The wisteria is beautiful, I have 'Blue Moon', though it must be laid to the ground for winter due of the extreme cold experienced here.

Nicholsworth, thank you for your kind comments, I originally arrived to this property with chainsaw in hand, the lot being a virgin stand of forest and a overboard labor and love ever since!

Peren,all, wow, your locality really has an induced bounty of bears! I take it the region is rather heavily treed and lush. Now, with such numbers, I can't imagine one not having to keep their guard up, especially when sow is with cubs or when one's pets are looking like lunch to them! That patio door of yours, I imagine it's now always double checked and secured before deciding to catch any zzzz's on the chesterfield!

Okay, with the discussion dicentra, how has 'King of Hearts' performed for others, I know some have said these are challenging? I've had mine for about five or six years and each spring it's been an explosion of long lasting color, though plant has not much increased and needs lifting and soil replenished. I'd now want to try the even more brightly colored 'Burning Hearts'

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Coming from a wildly different climate zone, this may not be all that relevant to you but here, all the fernleaf dicentras do very well. They have a very long bloom time (they like our cool summers), the foliage holds up well and they spread to become almost a groundcover. In fact, they are excellent plants for dry shade in my area but will go summer dormant in drier conditions.

mazerolm_3a thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

I'd love to give burning hearts a try, the darker color is awesome but that grey foliage makes me think it's fussier and has alpine bleeding heart blood in there as well.

The ID on mine sounds right. A neighbor gave me one and these came up after the seeds got into the compost.

Frozebudd the wisteria was losing its flower buds to late freezes, so I actually ripped out the mother plant one day when I was annoyed. But of course anyone who grows wisteria knows it's not that easy to get rid of them so these are the suckers.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

Moving on I don't have many peonies, but I do have iris! -Mostly old ones though, the newer ones fade away as soon as I let some other plant sprawl over them.

Here's that dicentra again, now covering up the yellowed tulip foliage

Hopefully anyone who just came in from shoveling snow doesn't mind looking at a few white iris.

too bad you can't smell the fragrance on this one.

This was the second year for this lupine, but I'm 99% sure it died over the summer and I'm 90% sure I'll buy another if I see one this spring.

In June even weedy onions (a. nigrum) can look nice.

5 years ago

Valentine bleeding hearts..they were new and the squirrels would NOT leave them alone..I used rocks and bricks to protect them..I constantly put compost near them..I covered the area with compost after they died back..I hope I see them next spring..

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

I bet they'll come back bigger than ever, it looks like a perfect woodsy spot and all the compost will really do the trick.

5 years ago

katob..I hope you're right!..I could see the red blooms from the kitchen window and they were fabulous..

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Katob, the white iris and 'Tiger Eye' sumac sure do play surprisingly very well together and your variegated blue iris is a blooming fool! My eyes bounce all over the place with all the fantastic color and textures in your photos, job well done!

I have yet to try 'Valentine' dicentra, though do keep contemplating it. Now, again as for the fern leaf types, as Katob has mentioned, I believe there's a different bit of genetics going on in the background of some of these newer selections such as 'King of Heart' and 'Burning Hearts' and many folks find them fussier to grow. Years ago, I was given what I believe is 'Luxuriant' and that thing is tough as heck and spreads moderately. Now, although my winters are long and cold, summers for the most part being moderate and comfortable, but often very dry at my location due to the influence of a frustrating rain shadow.

5 years ago

I have just 2 bleeding hearts..both Valentines..I was reluctant to plant them because they die back not long after blooming..I didn't want gaps in my beds..last fall (after Halloween I think) I went to an estate sale at someone's home and saw gorgeous blooming bleeding hearts..pink blooms kind of chartreuse foliage..when I looked online I think it was a dicentra eximia which is longer lasting..I'm going to look back over this post for pics and names..this is where my bleeding hearts are planted..I surrounded them with Autumn ferns to hide dying foliage..there's also wild ginger..pic#1 is the front view from my kit window..it's quite a distance back..the log and rock edging will stay..
    they're behind log #2 which is visible to the left of the left tree..the curved line of stones (in front of the seam in the logs) has been moved..not sure the ferns were planted when I took this pic..thank goodness for Gardenweb..it's my "winter" gardening..husband watches TV while I play on my phone..

katob..did your bleeding heart last until Halloween or so?..looks a lot like the one I saw at the estate sale..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Nicholswort, I have the white bleeding heart and while it’s true it only flowers in the spring, I feel the flowers last a decent amount of time and the foliage (which is so pretty against the more robust hosta leaves) lasts until everything starts to go to sleep in the fall.

5 years ago

oursteelers..thanks!..mine are short lived..flowers and foliage both die off kind of quick in my opinion..I never knew there were so many kinds..the plant world is enormous..I'll look for yours..back to show you descriptions..excuse my highlighting (not tech savvy)..#1 - Valentine #2 - came up with "dicentra white flowers"

going forward I'll plant the longer lasting varieties..

• User
    5 years ago

mazerolm_3a thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

mazerolm_3a thanked User
  • violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

Wish I could comment on individual pictures, but all I can say is there is a lot of garden love here! I'm wondering how many people use a serious camera and how many of these shots are simply from a phone? Whichever, the quality of the shots--mostly great, imo!

mazerolm_3a thanked violetsnapdragon
  • violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

• violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

That last one was an impulse purchase from Bluestone. It's a single flower on a six-foot stalk--I believe it's in the sunflower family. It just made me smile.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    5 years ago

Outstanding FrozeBudd!

Peren.all, I was fortunate to see Frozebudd's gardens a few years back and I can tell you that it is the most beautiful home garden I have ever visited (and I have seen many super duper gardens in my time ;)).

(I wish he would post many more pictures through the year).

mazerolm_3a thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@catkin: your pictures are amazing!! I love the combination of blooms and foliage. What are the small trees with white blooms?

@violetsnapdragon: thanks for posting these lovely pictures!! In your middle picture, is it an hydrangea in the background? (Pink flowers)

• violetsnapdragon
    5 years ago

spirea

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Bluestone and their freakin 1/2 off Friday‘s are TERRIBLE!

• User
    5 years ago

violetsnapdragon(6A)

Wish I could comment on individual pictures, but all I can say is there is a lot of garden love here! I'm wondering how many people use a serious camera and how many of these shots are simply from a phone? Whichever, the quality of the shots--mostly great, imo!

Violet, I use an old Motorola cell phone.

mazerolm(3a)

@catkin: your pictures are amazing!! I love the combination of blooms and foliage. What are the small trees with white blooms?

Mazerolm, they're Viburnum (plicatum f. tomentosum var.) 'Mariesii'.

mazerolm_3a thanked User
    5 years ago

rouge I do recall you visiting FrozeBudd. What a joy that must have been for both of you. What is missing from photos unfortunately are the scents and sounds that bring a garden to life. I can only imagine the beauty intensified through sensory perception!

Lovely, I too wish I could comment on every pic. I have been thoroughly enjoying every single one.

Great to see you back catkin, amazing pics as always!

• User
    5 years ago

Thanks, peren :~)

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

Following for inspiration - your gardens are all so wonderful! My goal for this year is to learn (or start to learn) the art of layering and pairing plants the way so many of you do. Keep the pics coming!

mazerolm_3a thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@biondaninima: Check out this page for more inspiration: https://www.gardenia.net/plant-combinations

There are so many combos I’d like to try!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

Thank you mazerolm! That website is fantastic...I have found a new and dangerous way to goof off at work!

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    5 years ago

Oh I am so ready for spring to get here!!! All these pictures are pushing me to buy plants online lol

Here are a few of mine :)

mazerolm_3a thanked Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Roxana: gorgeous pictures!! You must have one heck of a camera!

“All these pictures are pushing me to buy plants online”: tell me about it...I’ve already placed 5 orders!! lol!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Rouge and peren.all, I appreciate the kind and complementary words. I don't get around to posting as much as I would like, the place is very large and just keeps expanding! I think many others know how such goes when space permits! Otherwise, I've actually been working to reduce the size of most flowerbeds and giving them an improved overall more appealing shape and flow. The place has certainly been a labor of love and a foolish overboard driven passion!

mazerolm_3a thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Roxana..beautiful plants!..so colorful!..just testing myself - is that a Twist-n-Shout hydrangea?..

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

Wow, it's so nice to see all that green and flowers.

Roxana you have a real talent there!

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    5 years ago

@Mazerolm - Yes, I thought it everything she knows!

@Nicholsworth - The pink one is a quick fire hydrangea, the "white" ones are Lime Lights

@Katob Thank you!!

mazerolm_3a thanked Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    5 years ago

Roxana..I have those hydrangeas too!..my Quick Fire doesn't have the pretty red stems or as much pink on the blooms so I guessed yours were something else..too much shade here for mine to look like yours..