SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsnoble22

1952 Living Room, beautiful bones, can't figure out how to furnish it

Kristy Nole
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

New year's resolution: time to refurnish the living room.

I love my original fireplace and original white oak hardwood floors. Love my bookshelves and book collection.

Could take or leave the rug.

Everything else has to go. The hanging blinds especially should be buried somewhere deep - very, very deep. Next to the 1980s lamps.

Yes the TV is huge. Just got it 2nd hand from my BIL, so it must stay for a while. And there are definitely TOO MANY SOFAS!

I've lived here 5 years now, and can't figure out a good flow, given the doorway, the sliding door, and the fireplace, although I've rearranged quite a few times. The walls and floor are neutral, and I'd like some color for contrast. Sliding door entrance is on the side nearest the fireplace.

Use - not often because it's such an awkward space, but I host an annual party that includes 15 people + musical instruments once per year. Would use it more if I could make the space work better.

Any ideas anyone? Help! THANK YOU!!!!!

Comments (47)

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    I love your house!
    the mantel is obviously something added since the 50s. if its a bidget matter, paint it to match the trims... later on, chunky and plain would be better.
    too many sofas... too little time... but, you know that.
    what do you see in this big room? one conversation area plus others?
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    oops, i meant paint it to match the brick...
  • Related Discussions

Trying to figure out how to be a good adult stepdaughter...

Q

Comments (18)
    I don't see/smell any trace that OP is the other woman in her relationship with her father. I feel sorry for the father who lost so much joy with the family due to his insecure, control freak new wife. "Does your husband and his mother go to lunch and other leisure activities without including you? Would it be okay if they did?" - Why is it not OK? This question is beyond silly. In our family, we always have alone time with our parents and children. I still remember the wonderful time and conversation with my own father even it has been 40-50 years. HD was his mother's favorite, they always had private time together when we were on vacation visiting her. We also have great memory spending alone time with our own children in various countries and cities. southernsummer, do your own biological children spend alone time with you or your husband? If they do, does it make them the "other woman or man"? May be because I am the type of person who does not always remember my own birthday, I fail to see the big deal of spending time with your husband exact on your birthday, especially the daughter does not live with the father, and you live with him every single day of the year. Why cannot you find another day to celebrate? In your other posts it seems you have problem over Christmas gifts from your husband to his children. Again, I fail to understand the issues. In our own family we don't see children until Christmas break due to all of us have busy careers. We are so appreciative that they spend vacation and airfares, expenses coming home to see us ( they could well afford traveling to anywhere in the world if they want to). As always, we give high dollar gifts to indirectly compensate the expense they incur. If the once a year gifts impact your financial future, you need to have a serious discussion with your husband, otherwise, why interfere? Relationship between each parent and child is unique, it does not need to be according to others wishes/rules.
    ...See More

Help furnishing odd shaped living room

Q

Comments (2)
    So I would have you cable outlet moved so you can put you tv in that corner area by the bathroom. Either put the tv on an articulating arm that you can pull out and turn toward the seating area or just angle the tv in the corner. To me, built-ins would be the way to go vs a tv stand/console. I also created another seating area which l linked together by doing a “wall” of drapery panels. With the sectional on the long wall, it gives you a nice focal point as you enter the home.
    ...See More

Need help figuring out how to make my house feel less "busy"

Q

Comments (23)
    I feel like lighting will make a HUGE difference. Usually when people say "busy" I imagine cluttered, but your decor looks intentional and your house looks lived in but not like a completely kitchy mess. I think it's just the light/contrast letting you down. So don't be so hard on yourself! I'm a photographer and the think that always stands out to me in houses that are really beautiful is how much light gives the spaces texture, definition, and brightness. Because you have darker floors and some darker pieces of furniture in some spaces they all kind of blend together and look really heavy even though they aren't packed too tightly. It's super easy to just plug whatever lamps you have into outlets and flip a light switch that turns on some lights on your ceiling and stop there, but I think the big difference between really put together living spaces and those that don't quite feel as polished is often the intentional use and choices of light. Layering lights at different levels, paying attention to task lighting, and being selective with fixtures can really make a huge difference. I've no where near perfected this in our house yet, but the few changes we've made in some rooms have really had a big impact. I think the right lighting in your home can do wonders and really help establish the ambiance you are going for.
    ...See More

Help.... Can't figure out how to decorate my living room wall

Q

Comments (108)
    Roopa if you bought that oriental rug with the bright red and the aqua background, I would go with a pale aqua or pale blue wall. Off white, pale yellow or cream works very well too. It's the daytime light with all the beautiful windows you have to feel airy during the day and a pleasing wall color to look at night and enjoy, not overpowering!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Kristina Lawrence Interior Design
    5 years ago

Wow...that's a lot of sofa! Just at a quick glance, I would suggest reducing to ONE sofa facing the TV straight on, with two swivel chairs along the glass doors that can turn to face the TV, and a nice rectangular cocktail table to center it all. Use two additional chairs in reading area fashion in front of the bookcases that face the fireplace in a bit of a diagonal arrangement. With this arrangement, you should be able to get flexibility in your seating. YES to the painting of the brick and burying of the blinds...hold a ceremony... :) Create a larger mantel if possible as the current one is too tiny. You need more scale there. And please please PLEASE lower the TV. Right now it looks like a threat to life and limb to anyone walking near it or sitting under it. There should be no seating beneath it whatsoever...maybe an entertainment console, but certainly no seating. When the appropriate in-law-gift period has passed, make it a priority to replace it with one that is more appropriately scaled to the room because it really is overwhelming to the room and will remain so despite any changes you make. To get you some contrast, think pillows on the sofa and chairs and a couple of great pieces of art above the fireplace and next to the 80s floor-to-ceiling lamp thing. Having said all that, definitely draw your potential furniture sizes on paper to make sure it fits and make sure you are giving yourself adequate circulation paths or you'll just end up not liking a new configuration either. It's got to flow! Hope that helps.

• acm
    5 years ago

I would try putting the TV where the bookcases are, about three feet lower (so at seated eye level), and arrange one seating group facing the two foci, with an area rug and a coffee table. Then use the current TV wall for bookcases and either a couple of reading chairs (with a table and lamp between them) or something else useful like a small game table. For sure a room this long is asking to be subdivided into two zones.

I would also plan to put a long console under the TV to help ground it and to hold any cable box or other accessories. Whether you can go longer than the TV, as is preferable, may depend on the wall...

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Some questions: who lives in this house? yourself and who else?

How often do you use the sliding door?

Does the TV have to stay in that spot? Since you just got it, how much do you think you will use it in that room?

Do you use the fireplace? Can the book shelves be moved or are they attached to the walls?

What is your budget?

My preference would be to put the shelves where you have the TV and then mount the TV much lower over a console on the wall adjacent to the FP. That way you could arrange the furniture facing the 2 focal points.

ETA: we were all typing at the same time. The OP clearly stated he/she loves the original fireplace so I don't think the emphatic "paint the FP" is appropriate.

• kaye1951
    5 years ago

It's a lovely room with loads of potential. What style do you like? Two seating areas, as Oliviag mentioned, is probably a good idea. The TV is mounted far too high and needs a console beneath to ground it. It is recommended the console be 25% longer than the TV is wide. You don't necessarily design for an event that happens once a year. There are so many professionals on this site who can draw floor plans and photoshop actual pieces. I am looking forward to seeing this room become beautiful!

• gduplessis
    5 years ago

I love this room. My advice..take everything out. Decide what you mainly use this room for. TV watching and hanging out? Find some inspirational pics and start from there. What colors do you like? What style are you going for? I would keep the blue couch under the TV. It's classic. I find it interesting that older couches keep their shape so much better than the pricey new ones. The bookcases are competing with the fireplace. Move the bookcases or paint them white. It has so much potential.

• gigirambles
    5 years ago

Too many (and different) sofas, for my taste. I'd have one (maybe two, at the most) with one facing the fireplace and a couple of chairs. You said you host an annual party of about 15...I'd have some nice folding chairs on hand for that but otherwise keep it simple.

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    Keep the cat!
  • lorraine368
    5 years ago

It is an interesting room. I have always felt that if one worked with the unique features of a house or room and built on these, you would truly have a very different look than most people could even envision. Having said that, I feel you could take this room in two different directions. Some of the previous comments have already touched on some.

Before I make my suggestions, I will say that I’m not sure how high the fireplace wall goes up.

If it is like the book case wall, I see where the ceiling and wall meet. I’m not sure of the look you want or your favourite colours. Also not sure how much light you get during the day.

My first suggestion is to paint the end wall (fireplace wall and book case wall) a rich colour that you like in the brick fireplace. Thicken the mantel, give it more weight with a heavier piece of wood. This can be done by adding another piece of wood on top and then painting it. Remove the book cases and put them on the tv wall. Buy a heavy tv console and put it where the book cases used to be. I say heavy, something with weight to balance the fireplace and the shelves across the room. It should also be low and long.

I see you have a curved sofa but it seems to be missing the other armrest. This inspired me to think about having a large curved sofa in front of your feature wall. This way you could admire the fire and watch tv.

In front of the book cases you could have a couple of comfy chairs with a table and lamp for reading or a chaise lounge to stretch out on to read.

In another direction you could go shabby sheak (spelling?) Paint the fireplace white, thicken the mantel and leave the walls white Or some shade of white. The placement of furniture will be the same but in a totally different colour palette. The tv console will also be some shade of white and the book cases. If you are into painting furniture this is your opportunity to be creative. Since you may decide to go this way, use a lot of texture in your room, it creates interest, white on white and even sizal or jute carpets.

I hope you let us all know what you have decided to do and have photos of the finished room.

• Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your ideas!!! You give me hope!

To answer some of the questions:

* I live here alone, but my children visit a couple of times per year.

* I don't use the sliding door much - I've tried arrangements where a sofa blocks it completely, but I hate giving up the light and the view into the back yard, so it's currently not blocked.

* A few years ago I updated the wiring and put the TV outlet on its own breaker on the TV wall. I don't think the original 1952 house wiring (and it IS original!) and breakers can support the amount of power a TV and associated equipment would draw. I could also try to re-wire the fireplace wall, but it's not as accessible as the TV wall, from under the house.

* I don't often use the fireplace, although it is fully functional. Air pollution laws here preclude. Bookshelves are movable. Only 3 of the 4 fit on the TV wall, though.

* Budget: maybe a couple of thousand dollars?? I have more money to play with, but also more projects that need doing. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, and craigs list hunter, but will shell out for something new if I love it enough. I haven't been an empty-nester for long, used to spend it all on the kids, and don't know how expensive these projects tend to run.

Some quA you use the sliding door?

Thank you gduplessis, for your suggestion about keeping the sofa under the TV. Of all of them, it was the one I like best, and was considering keeping. However, it's teal, not blue (my photo didn't catch the color well at all.) It kind of clashes with the other sofas, but I wasn't going to keep them anyway.

My style: I'm not sure. I have always liked whitish walls and honey-oak furniture, though I know it's not trendy. But the golden-brown and white combination just seems so light, and it makes my heart feel light and peaceful and comfy when I'm in it. The style of the house is mid-century cottage (if there is such a thing), and I think it's fun to decorate in a style that doesn't clash with the style of the house. But it still has to be livable for a modern lifestyle. So in my kitchen I have original pale yellow tile counters, original copper fixtures, and kept the original mosaic on the wall. I kept the bathroom true to the era, but not original. (Pink walls, cabinets, and ceiling was too, too much! But that's another posting.) For colors, I like blue and teal and rose (not necessarily all of them in the same room - just one or 2 of them is sufficient.) I would also be happy with some shades of green. I'm not a fan of bright red or orange, though red in very small amounts is ok. I do like color, and they seemed to like to use more of it back in the 50's than they do now.

I'd like to go a little bit (but not over-) formal in this room. (I have an open-plan kitchen/dining room/den that I use for a more informal space.) Well, formal might be too strong a word. Something I would be comfortable inviting my boss or his boss to sit in, but that I could also snuggle in with a good movie or a good book. The teal sofa is kind of like that, I think.

What really has me stumped, though, is the drapes/curtains. I hate-hate-hate those plastic hanging blinds. But what to replace them with??? I'm lucky to have the windows I do - 10 foot slider, and diamond-paned front window - and I want to enjoy them rather than cover them up or overpower them. And I want the light coming in during the winter. If I get pattern curtains, how do I find furniture that doesn't clash? And if I get solid color curtains, it makes huge blocks of color. I'm assuming they should match? Should I get the old fashioned drape kind that you slide across with a string? Or the kind you see in the big-box stores with the holes at the top that you slide across chunky rods? We have hot summers, so I'll keep them mostly closed in summer. Should the front ones be floor to ceiling, or half-way to match the window? Too many choices!

Thank you all for your ideas - I'm beginning to feel like I could make this work.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Mostly I'm just following for now because you've already gotten the best first steps lined up for you: the TV is an emergency, it's not functional where it is, and it makes the room look like a sports bar. It should be very low to the ground, so that the center of it is at Eye level when you are seated. I would call Big brothers big sisters or another such charity that picks up and have them pick up all but the blue velvet sofa ASAP. Once the room is empty you'll be able to start building. The blue velvet sofa looks pretty worn but you need something to get you through and it's not too bad. I actually really like the curved sofa but the fabric is a no go and it costs a lot to reupholster furniture. From there, a rug is a great place to start. Something big, 8x11. You mentioned that you love your 1950s room, so why not have fun with a swanky MCM vibe!

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    I don’t think the bookcases do your room any favors. I would opt for something lower, built in and painted white in that corner. This room is big enough to have two seating areas; a cozy one by the fireplace and another for watching tv. A large console under the behemoth tv( a smaller one eventually) and lower it. Decide what pieces can work and loose the rest. Area rugs can define these seating areas.
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    You may not be able to house all your books in this one spot but maybe you can add another bookcase elsewhere.
  • Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I see what you mean about the low bookcase. I do like that look - you're right it opens up the room more. But I love my books, and this is my library room. I'm thinking instead of a console under the TV, I put more low book cases, to match those low book cases on the fireplace wall. What do you guys think?

• always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

ok so reading and re-reading I see OP is open to getting rid of all the sofas except the teal one under the tv currently. I'd face the teal sofa to the tv wall as already suggested and bring the tv WAY down.

I think once get all the extra sofas out, you might be able to start visualizing what you could do with room as far as bring in more chairs etc. What about a table and couple chairs, like a small dinette type in that corner with the bookshelves. Can't tell from the angle of the pics if that space would allow that, but just an idea.

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

I agree with others to not have seating under the TV. Be it a console, or bookcases, or whatever that is there instead... better than seating.

And there is too much seating. Keep the teal couch you like, maybe the curved one for now. Take out the other two. See how you like how it opens up the room without so much surround of seating.

• Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm also open to getting rid of the teal sofa. Gotta keep the books though. It's my only collection, and it's not out of hand. Much. They all fit on the shelves, and believe it or not, I thin them occasionally.

Thanks to you folks, I'm sold on low book cases. Do you think white or honey oak? I have a favorite cabinet maker that will make anything I want.

Still stumped on the curtains/drapes.

I'm posting the 3 blue floral sofas on craigslist now, for free. Hoping they'll go fast.

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Sorry for the crude drawing, but I thought of this layout. You could do some stools or a bench in front of the fireplace maybe. I know it's not 15 seats, but you may have room for more in the corner or 2 in front of the fireplace.

Other · More Info

• Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oooh! I really like that. What's behind the sofa? Love the idea of swivel chairs. The fireplace is at an angle, though - see my drawing at top - which adds to the challenge. For the 15 guests, I'll just use folding chairs.

Drape ideas, anyone?

• kaye1951
    5 years ago

I vote for white bookcases partly because I like the contrast between the white bookcases and the taupe lynartist painted on the wall! Bookcase under the TV is a great idea. You may want doors on that bookcase. Please note Lynartist made the TV bookcase as long as the wall though do allow for curtains to be fully open. Love that you already have sofas on Craigslist! (I probably don't need to say this and certainly do not want to be condescending, but please be careful about letting strangers into your home. Maybe you could move sofas to the garage.)

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    I would do the bookshelves in white painted wood. It would keep this room light and bright and is more in keeping with the lovely architectural style of the ceiling. I would beef up the mantle why your at it. You could add a nice wide shelf on top of the shelving to display loved books and artifacts. This should be your reading corner. S small sofa , a couple comfortable chairs and ottomans; good lighting.
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Drapes are easy but you need a design direction first. Color scheme? Do you have any inspiration photos? Me, I love a MCM house with oriental rugs, so I would start with a rug that got my heart pounding and pick colors from there. But maybe you want all neutrals, a dhuri rug, a thick and luxurious flokati rug....show us some stuff you love!

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I would also lose the mantle. Your guy can do better. The full length of the hearth, not white. My personal choice would be stain Grade book shelves as well-every room needs the warmth of good woodwork and that's pricey to come by in store-bought furniture, what is also very expensive to have it custom built so you may end up with painted

Kristy Nole thanked greenfish1234
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    Because the fireplace is so dominant I would prefer the bookcases to be less so myself. Since all your walls and woodwork are white I would do them in white. The mantle can be done in something else, that doesn’t seem to go with the brick at all!
  • partim
    5 years ago

Newer TV's don't need to be plugged in where the "TV outlet" is. They can communicate remotely to that location. Our "plugged in" TV is in the basement in the furnace room, and the one we watch is a smaller (32" diameter) screen that we've attached to a rolling cart, that goes wherever it is convenient. If you haven't bought a TV recently, you may be surprised that the smaller screen "smart" TVs will cost you less than it will cost to buy a TV cabinet that looks good with that large screen.

Here's my suggestion for your room. Either of the 2 long 8' sofas could be replaced by a pair of chairs, but I like the look of long sofas for a big room.

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

If you have a fave cabinet maker... Another idea to consider. Finish building the current bookcase corner up to match the fireplace height. It's kind of an awkward size/space, so a cabinet maker would be helpful. Match the new stuff to the existing bookcases.

For sure build in the low bookcases under the TV spot. Not sure if I like wood or white better.

If you wanted to get real crazy, you could line the area under the window and leave it low between the window and brick planter too. If you did that, when you have company and need to expand the room, slide the couch from it's regular "living spot" to up close to the window and have more open floor and an area behind the couch to use for their tableside. If your cat is anything like mine, it may love a full bookshelf ledge right under that window :) And if you leave it low to the brick planter- it looks like its already capped and you use it like a bench? The bookcase height would give you tableside space that is going to be freed up soon :)

Another trick then- in times of company, you can use curtain tension rods and fabric of your choice to pop up instant covers for your shelves when/if needed. Use in areas where furniture will be backed up against, helps save your shelves from any accidental spills and such during the party.

But then, I'm a book nut. My little library is crammed full.

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    Here are some curtain ideas.
    Kristy Nole thanked AC LB
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

In my sketch, I put a sofa table behind the sofa in front of window.

Kristy Nole thanked kulrn
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I was also thinking about a full-on built-in library. I love the look, and the room is certainly big enough

Kristy Nole thanked greenfish1234
  • Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just measured and calculated. I have 68 linear feet of small books, and 29 linear feet of large books. The bottom of my windowsill is 30 inches from the floor. I could custom-build some 7-inch wide bookcases along the entire length of the window wall, and fit most of my small books there. Then I could float a sofa with its back to the window, but push it back against the bookcase for larger gatherings. I saw this example I like - I think the mix of white and wood on top makes it so it doesn't overwhelm. A plus: the cat would like the window perch. What do you guys think?

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    Beautiful!
    Kristy Nole thanked lynartist
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

I like how you work...already have those extra couches listed on CL. Can't wait to see your space once the other couches are gone!!

Kristy Nole thanked always1stepbehind
  • partim
    5 years ago

This would work if you don't have heating ducts below the window.

Kristy Nole thanked partim
  • Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do have heating ducts below the window. I was thinking that if I'm making custom shelves, I can have cutouts made for them.

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    following
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I like that bookshelf a lot. But make sure your plan for books is uniform and cohesive. Don't just build shelving for small books under one window, make a plan where all needs will be addressed and all shelves the same depth throughout the room.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

This is obviously not to scale but something like this. Put the TV on a retractable swivel arm next to FP

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Or this:

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    Kristy, I was trying to draw up a floor plan for you but you figures don’t add up! I’m not sure if you can give us a more detailed sketch just yet with all the furniture still in here though!
  • lynartist
    5 years ago
    I’m confused, you say there are sliders next to the fireplace but in your photos they are on the wall were the tv is! The opposite wall has windows. Need better photos and a more detailed sketch!
  • Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi lynartist,

I did my sketch with 2 little squares = 1 foot. It's pretty close to scale. The wall with the sliding doors is perpendicular to the wall with the TV. In the photo, you can see by how each wall hits the ceiling. The TV is on the wall that measures 9'1''. I think my measuring of the opening is off by a few inches - it was hard because there is no door, and it's perpendicular to the floorboards, so it's hard to go straight across with the measuring tape.

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

So many good suggestions so far my head is spinning.

kristy, since you seem to be settling in on what you are liking so far with building in bookshelves... could you maybe post a new sketch of the room? Even use your original measurement sketch, just pencil in where you are thinking you are liking shelves going in.

If you go with the fill the book nook to match the fireplace, the TV kind of has to stay on the same wall with low shelves under it. If you go with all low shelves, it opens up your options for where a TV can go.

If you add in bookshelves, that will likely eat up a lot of budget and be more permanent.

Kristy Nole thanked beesneeds
  • Kristy Nole
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Life intrudes: I've had to work, and Friday is a busy day too. Also, I'm fielding lots of Craigslist responses to my sofa postings. I expect the 3 floral sofas to be gone by Saturday morning. I'll have time to work on it again on Saturday, and can post some new sketches then. (Also, my neighbor just stopped by, and offered to buy my tall bookshelves, so that solves the problem of how to dispose of them because they're too nice to throw away.)

I'm really grateful to to everyone for the ideas and support. I'm feeling courageous. Thank you!!!

• Kim
    5 years ago

Plants would love your room. : )

Love the idea of swivel chairs. Also like the mirrored bottom of this coffee table reflecting the sofa color. Looking forward to seeing how things shape up.

• Larri
    5 years ago

Following & looking forward to seeing how your room turns out, Kristy Nole.

Happy Houzzing!