SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

No, please, just no...

Annie Deighnaugh
5 years ago

I know TV has lots of air time to fill and multiple media to compete with which seems to have only driven the quality of what's available down the tubes...with maybe a few exceptions.

But please.

I'm watching a program and the ad comes on for a new show called "Dr. Pimple Popper". No, please just no....

Right up there with that skittles ad with the kid with the pox and the girl picks the skittles off his face and eats them.

No, please, just no...

Comments (48)

• wantoretire_did
    5 years ago

Good grief, they are worse than the pilot and his new catheter, at supper time.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ughh....both are disgusting. FF for me!

• Related Discussions

Composting moldy hay - a no-no?

Q

Comments (14)
    Any of these; musty, stale, mouldy, smelly, stinky, rotten, rancid, soggy, filthy, dingy, yucky, uncleaned, putrid, overripe, dank, fetid, decrepit, skunky, icky, scabby, malodorous, unsanitary, waterlogged, dusty, crumbly, drafty, crummy, mushy, leftover, mildewy, vinnewed, fenowed, mucid, frowy, frouzy, hoared, ratty, maggoty, finew, rotted, unappetizing, vinewed, soiled, flavorless, gloppy, cobwebby, unkempt, unrentable, putid, sticky, putrefied, foetid, damp, greasy, yellowing, runny, discolored, gummy, foistiness, inedible, mucilaginous, misshapen, chalky, insanitary, soupy, saltine, drippy, brown, flavourless, dilapidated, papery, goopy, fracid, sodden, tattered, uneaten, weatherworn, cruddy, unusable, overstuffed, floury, unbuttered, cluttered, decayed, unkept, unwatered, wormy, juiceless, nubbly, unsightly, cramped, crinkly, wrinkled, unbreathable, spongy, shabby, putredinous, unmelted, sniffly, mealy should be okay.
    ...See More

Oh no! Just read the posts on Maples!!! :(

Q

Comments (7)
    Or fix it so it doesn't matter whether they are maple or not. Lowe's and most Big Boxes that sell pond material sell a thick spun bonded material to keep roots from poking holes in the rubber liner. Ask or real about the mature size of each hosta and get a section of this spun bonded material large enough to make what would look like a coffee filter and line the hole. Water will flow in and out thru the material, roots probably wonÂt come thru. If you really want to be sure get spin-out treated material and do the same thing. The Spin-Out cloth will probably be available from a grower supply house. Or plant them and watch them get smaller and smaller unless you have the same type maples that Phil has.
    ...See More

No, no, no, I don't want to do it.

Q

Comments (2)
    Ha ha! You're just like me, and can't stand to see anything go to waste. I knew you were going to bite on that recipe when you posted. Well, I don't think you'll be sorry come next winter, when you pop open one of those pretty jars. I did think the taste improved even with a weeks aging, but I couldn't resist either and had to chill and sample some! Your recipe adjustment sounds like it's going to be muy caliente. I may have to try that myself. Let me know how it worked out. Barbara
    ...See More

95% done! Marble w/quartz, polished w/honed, and other no-no's

Q

Comments (49)
    cjc123, sabjimata, flwrs-n-co, jkom51, mtnrdredux thanks! We are really enjoying the new space. It is so much more functional and easy to work in. Ginger25 and jenhp: "Blizzard" is warmer than the pure white or organic white from Caesarstone. I think it works better with the rusty Danby marble than those purer whites. Here are some closeups of the Caesarstone, as requested (these are in artificial light): You have to get REALLY close up (3 inches in this case) to see the fine speckles. From farther back but as close as a foot, it reads solid white: Elba1, the uppers are 37 inches tall. The trim between the cabinets and ceiling is under 2 inches, just enough to tie the cabinets to a little bit of a crooked ceiling. There is also a 1 inch light rail underneath the uppers, to hide the under cabinet lights. The ceiling is 8 feet. I thought about incorporating some glass, but I wanted to avoid breaking up the space, for a more contemporary look. If my ceilings were higher, I would have considered a top glass section as well!
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

TV has gone so far down hill .... I won't even waste my electricity on most of the shows.

• User
    5 years ago

Since she has that show what she is posting on YT has gone down hill. I admit I watch her on YT. Tried once on tv and hated it but I like all kinds of medical stuff.

• User
    5 years ago

Yeah, I saw that too. No way will I watch it, and I agree with the Skittles commercial. I don't think I've eaten one since they started that commercial.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

People like extremes. It's the modern day side show. It's why the same network that shows the pimple popper show (TLC) features such gems as "My 600 lb life" ,."Extreme Couponing" and "Sister Wives" as well as many shows and special about extremely large families or families with multiple children of the same age.

People like to gawk at the expense of others. Sad but true. Modern day entertainment has caught on and now it seems there is a battle of who can come up with the most extreme,grossest, or most outrageous concept for a show.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I saw that ad, too. I just tell my husband, "we are not their demographics" and let it go.

Another "not us" are ads for the gummi worms.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I saw the ad for that show and had the same reaction and I HATE that Skittles commercial. Yuck!

Other ads I've seen lately include a reality show about people meeting prisoners and marrying them when they are released and one called Extreme Love. It's about things like a man helping his wife break the record for fattest woman, a man in love with his car in a sexual way, a woman who dresses up in diapers and drinks from a baby bottle while laying in an adult sized crib, etc. Geeeez, whatever happened to shows like Andy Griffith and The Brady Bunch?

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

You can thank The Doctors program for Dr. Pimple Popper.

They had her as a "guest" several times. Gross.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

It started on YouTube. It’s been on the air for months now. Too gross for me.

• ont_gal
    5 years ago

I PVR pretty well all television programs that I am interested in,just so that I can fast fwd the commercials.

I detest the ads for feminine products of any sort-and those ones Brook Burke from dancing with the stars fame does for "bladder leakage"....good Lord....NOTHING is private anymore....and according to what I am told,"we" are the squares.

Good to know-I'll remain a square with some morals,thankyouverymuch.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Feminine products? Then you'll hate this story, but it's nothing short of amazing.

A Menstruation Movie Is On The Short List For An Oscar Nomination

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/12/31/678247107/a-menstruation-movie-is-on-the-short-list-for-an-oscar-nomination?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2061

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

catticusmockingbird...I take it that movie is a period piece.

Sorry, I can't resist a pun.

• gyr_falcon
    5 years ago

ha. Oh, wait--I think it is more proper to groan at puns. ;) Ick on the Mr. PP. I'm glad I've missed that and the skittles commercial; hoping to remain blissfully unaware. I see trailers for new shows and the vast majority don't sound like anything I'd want to watch. But that one sounds like one I won't even look up out of curiosity.

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

I don't watch reality shows, or most comedies / sitcoms. Comedy isn't what it used to be. it used to actually be comedy. Bob Hope, Rickles, Newhart etc.

and commercials like skittles and many others just add to my list of products I won't buy. while they might catch my attention, it isn't in a good way.

Nor do I watch any of the nighttime talk shows. in yrs past I watched Carson and Leno. I don't watch those on now. haven't watch one since Leno left.

I don't watch the View, TMZ or Wendy someone. they come on, I change the channel. I have Roku and Hulu Live so I have many good options. I don't need to watch that trash.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    5 years ago

Sooooo glad I don't have a TV. Never have.

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

While I was reading your posts, bed-bound from having minimal sleep the night before, the other hand touched the story-reference to the story of the movie on menstruation that's close to being nominated for an award.

About a guy in India who wanted to build a machine that'd make pads that many poor women could afford, his wife left during the developing ... and is coming back, now that he's built a machine that'll make pads for....

... PENNIES! _________________

There's been TVs sitting here pretty well unwatched for over 10 years: uncle had a small one and I brought one of the more or less usual modest kind.

I've acquired a few of the larger, old boxey kind, whether from houses being cleared, "temporary" storage by friends, etc., as well.

It was about the time when the transmission technology changed and I never got the upgrading equipment required.

Now, with winter coming and my not running around as much, I've wondered about getting those upgrades ...

... and your stories don't offer me a he!! of a lot of incentives!

ole joyful

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

I'd read about the man who invented an improved feminine hygiene product for the women in his impoverished culture. How terrible, how revolting! And the film makers who brought his achievements to light? They should be flogged and thrown into a dungeon. Shame on you, people!

I, for one, am glad to hear about the different products on the market that may make my life more comfortable. How on earth are women going to know their options......from their doctors? Hahaha. Do you really think that menstruation and incontinence are shameful topics?

Menstruation is not a subject that should be taboo, it is a normal, healthy, function of the female body. Tsk tsk to anyone who thinks that a documentary about this man belongs in a dark closet, wrapped tightly in plain brown paper.

I'm going through the education of menstruation with one of my sprites. Her grandfather is involved, too, and his presence in the discussions has helped break the ice for her. But she came to me when she first started spotting, frightened and embarrassed.

G'pa went shopping with us for her first pads. It was very hilarious, he struck the perfect note. I was so proud that she carried her little box of pads to the checkout counter on her own, not in the least embarrassed. I hope that she doesn't run into someone who feels like the subject of a girl's period should be taboo. How ridiculous.

• User
    5 years ago

Way back in the beginning I remember that the Learning Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. were, although dry and unexciting, very educational, based on fact and to me, informative. Now it's a contest to see who can portray the most revolting, low, base, and vulgar aspects of our society. It's like way back in the late 19th to early 20th century side shows. When all that base and gross behavior becomes a bore I guess the next thing will be like the Roman gladiators and torturing and killing of the early Christians in the Roman arenas. Mankind never really changes, just newer versions of the old stuff.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's not that periods are shameful, but just like other natural body functions, I tend not to talk about it in polite company. Frankly they were always a pain to me ...in more ways than one... and I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about them any more. It's one thing I'm glad I aged out of.

Of course there was that time, when I was a teen, I needed tampons and since Dad did the grocery shopping, asked him to pick up a box for me. When he handed me the box he said, "Don't use 'em all at once."

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

The Temptation Island promos have me wondering just how depraved we will get. And people deny there is a slippery slope!! Is this the bottom???

• MrsM
    5 years ago

I haven't seen the one with the pilot/catheter. But Depends ads have been around awhile for women. Now I'm seeing way more ads for Depends type products for men. I saw one last week where the guy is kind of a macho dude with an active life to live! And now it seems he pretty much throws on a Depends and goes about his busy day. Who's got time for urinals?! lol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Then there is the one about Herve Villechaize...the actor who played Tattoo on Fantasy Island. He wanted to share his good fortune with other little people like himself, so he built condos designed and scaled specifically for them. After he got it done, he decided he would give them away. He called them...

...wait for it....

Stay Free Mini Pads!

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I too was rather appalled at the title of that new show Annie. I did watch one episode and it was fairly informative, although graphic. The episode I watched happened to deal with a medical issue I had on my scalp. It was a couple of small benign cysts I had removed. Simple in office procedure and she did exactly the same. I wouldn’t watch this on a regular basis though.

The skittles ad though...ugh!

• nickel_kg
    5 years ago

The very name is revolting. To me it says they are going for shock value, not for legitimate medical interest, so I'm not even going to give it a chance. If they'd called that show something else, maybe "Dr Ewwww" ....

• ratherbesewing
    5 years ago

I watch Dr Pimple Popper all the time. I saw her on The Doctors show years ago and was intrigued then too. I agree it's not for the faint of heart, but she is helping people who have some obvious disfiguring maladies. Many of these patients have been to their hometown doctors that tell them to live with their obvious cysts and Llipomas. These can't be good for anyone's self esteem. I much prefer this show to Botched which is about plastic surgery overload (clown-like, to me).

• User
    5 years ago

I should not be surprised at the people that do not want to know about things that make the lives of people that must use them more comfortable and allow them to do more than just sit at home in their own waste. Where do you think people are to receive information about these products if not from tv or magazines.

• frogged
    5 years ago

TV has lost a lot of its charm. Producers make the subjects as dramatic as they can which tends to make what ever the subject is ridicules, and annoying to watch. I like PP cause I like seeing the before and after and how she fixes things that other doctors won't help with. I don't like the over emphasis on the lives of the patient. I think all of TLC show are of this same format. The one thing I took away from the PP show is how many people live with issues. A lot because they just don't know and they are either scared or told by doctors there is nothing to do. I do think there is a lot of relief when she can help. So as revolting as the topic is to some I do think that it helps. I would enjoy the show and others if they would just dump all the overly dramatic nonsense. But I agree that most of what is on tv could just go away.

• MrsM
    5 years ago

I think someone may have taken offense at my observation of a common incontinent device that are used by both men & women. My FIL has to wear Depends for the time being while his doctors are trying to figure out where his bladder/kidney problem is originating from. He is living his life as usual, driving, visiting friends etc but it's a major annoyance for him. He's certainly not playing tennis or working out as the ad that I saw depicted. It's just the way the ad was presented that struck me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

For folks who find these programs or commercials objectionable, the solution is pretty simple......just don't watch them!!

I live alone and find the TV a great source of companionship...at least the noise, as I do not sit and watch all day long :-) But I seldom ever watch network TV. I tend to watch only PBS and a few other very specific cable channels.......Animal Planet (which my dog loves), Food Network, now and again DYI or HGTV. But mostly I watch Netflix, Acorn or Britbox. No commercials!! And no inane reality shows!

• sleeperblues
    5 years ago

A lot of the nurses I work with love Dr. PP. They also love popping those pimples on patients, if need be. Not me. I find it disgusting. As to the skittles commercial, nothing would ever me make stop liking skittles. One of my favorite candies. Can't remember the last time I had them, though.

• joann_fl
    5 years ago

I watch but sometimes have to turn my head.

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Hi JoAnn,

I think that I've heard that some kinds of entertainment, programs ..

... are head-turners.

Not in present company, it appears?

o j

• User
    5 years ago

Wondering how many understand how important those male incontinence products are to many men. I never thought about them until I overheard someone asking about which ones were white about the time Depends started being in a tan color. The white ones would look like mens underwear if no one was paying attention in a gym or other changing room the tan color was not a normal color for men's underwear. I found out later that men with an enlarged or no prostrate dribble. Prostrate problems are common in men. Now they do not have to use a "woman's product" and with the various types can select what fits their situation. Most men without advertising would never know that they were available.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

There's a commercial on one of our local radio stations that seems to come on whenever I'm in the car. It's for some kind of product to aid in intestinal issues - I don't even know the name of it because I tune it out after the spokeswoman talks about her bathroom problems: "I don't know what to call it. It's not a Number 1 and it's not a Number 2. Is there a Number 3?" OMG

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Hi littlebug,

With regard to the lady whose message on the radio didn't please you, it appeared to me that the story that said that it was not No. 1, ... not No. 2, ... is there a No. 3? was a quote of what she'd said.

Maybe the No. 3 ...

... might be the crap that comes out of the orifice beneath her nose?

He's wondering. (the device says).

Jes wonderin'. ... I said.

Hope your new year will be one of the best ever ... and if you've journeyed through a number of years, that should up your possibilities of having a super one!

ole joyful

• Cat Church
    5 years ago

TV has really gone south over the years. Too many ultra graphic programs and not to mention movie channels that show films with language that would embarrass a longshoreman. I do like Hallmark, and a few PBS channels and movie channels, but reading a good book is usually my media of choice these days.

• User
    5 years ago

It’s the commercial that’s telling folks to be ashamed in buying depends etc in stores. Of course they send them to you in brown boxes.

who cares if it’s in your shopping cart?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I love both Dr. Lee's show and Botched because they fix problems and make people happy. Botched sometimes fixes problems created by unscrupulous "physicians" (some are licensed, some aren't) and sometimes tell people to stop doing more surgery. I love that they helped the concrete face filled lady, as a for instance. Dr Lee's show could be named better, but it probably came about because of all the videos on YouTube. Those gross me out. Some people don't think so.

• Dolly
    5 years ago

I have never tried skittles and after seeing the commercial, I have no desire to.

• Rusty
    5 years ago

Dolly, I'm with you 100% on that! I've never tried Skittles, either, and I'm pretty sure that commercial has ensured that I never will intentionally! I often wonder what in the world the people that dream up some of the commercials are thinking, or even if they are thinking at all.

But I grew up in a much different world than we live in today. So many things that are up front and in your face now were then called "unmentionables". When commercials for personal hygiene products first began to show up on TV, I was rather disgusted. And it bothered me quite a lot when they showed up on primetime, when my little boys were watching. I am still embarrassed at times by some of the commercials. But I also now realize that these same commercials for feminine hygiene products, and for incontinence products for both male and females, can be very helpful. As someone above said, how else would people know about these things? I can also see the benefits of the tiresome ads for prescription medicines.

But I've wandered off topic here. I've never watched Dr. Pimple Popper, that title turns me off completely! But after reading all the posts here, I will maybe, probably, one of these days, look for an episode of it to check it out. I do like to "know stuff", as someone once said. And it sounds like it could be interesting. But why of why did they give it such a disgusting name! !

Rusty

• FlamingO in AR
    5 years ago

The name is off-putting, for sure but she seems to be a very kind, compassionate doctor with a wonderful way with people, some of whom are feeling completely helpless and neglected. I’ve seen people with skin conditions that I have never heard of before or seen and I think watching this show will help people be kinder to others. And it should encourage people to keep looking for a good doctor instead of suffering, if they have a problem themselves.

Some of her patients have suffered for 30 years. It’s so sad to think no one has helped them.

And I’ve yet to see a pimple. Cysts, lipomas, skin diseases, etc, yes.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Not a fan of all the singing contest programs and the dancing ones, now there is a new one with the singers disguised in costumes and masks. The three judges must try and discover who the singer is. It's so contrived and the judges I'm sure are coached on how to look ga-ga and scream "OMG!" I can't even stand the previews for it.

• User
    5 years ago

• Janie
    5 years ago

It seems to be that many commercials are dumbed down lately. I come from a marketing and advertising background and I've been to innumerable focus groups over the years and I can't believe some of the stuff I see on tv. Thank you to whoever invented the "mute" and the "off" buttons.

NO PLEASE NO to the commercial (I don't even know what they're selling) of the family at the table all sitting in massage chairs that are vibrating and their food is dribbling down their shirts and the food on the table is all being shaken up and spilling all over, it is nauseating.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    5 years ago

I worked in the medical field 20 years and think Dr. Pimple Popper is a good show. She has never popped a pimple on it. She removes fatty lumps, cysts, growths, and anomalies. These have hindered their lives for years, and her surgeries make them so much better.

She is also wonderful meeting patients, greeting them cheerfully and asking what they came in for - even if it is a lump the size of a walnut on their forehead. These are people who have been told nothing needs to be done, "It's only cosmetic." Believe me, this is critical to normal self esteem - these are the people who make kids stare and point, or employers pass them over, have endured rude comments for years.

Very informative program. If you are squeamish, don't watch. I am fascinated, but I worked with doctors doing these procedures.

• Naomi Hertz
    5 years ago

And I hated the skittles commercial now a pimple popping show? Lawdy!