SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Cracked glass cooktop tonite--replace w/induction??

loves2read
5 years ago

I did something stupid and cracked the 36" Kenmore Elite glass cooktop that was installed in this house when we bought it 6 yrs ago...It is on the island/bar and oven is further down island--

I really like the cooktop--had a custom cutting board made to fit over it to avoid just this type of problem because I have had them before in other homes and had them break...the cutting board ensures the cooktop area in a limited space kitchen can be used as just countertop...

For various reasons I would just as soon replace the glass top vs buy a new one--mainly because I like how the touch controls are all on right side vs toward the front...

Cheapest replacement I found was little over 1K--from Appliance Parts website in Canada

From Sears Direct it is over 1500--w/yr's warranty...

I have not paid any attention to induction cooktops but know they are very popular...

would mean new pans and learning a new method--

I am also concerned about installing a differen type of cooktop in my current granite countertop--

How difficult a transition to induction would the electrical wiring be for instance?

Are the sizes similar?

My cooktop is 36" w/5 burners--I rarely use even 3--but I won't risk trimming the granite or replacing countertops for something I don't really need...

We are seniors--don't do lot of entertaining most of the time--this is in our 2nd home in FL.

have a good electrician locally but would hate to have to pull a permit from the country--

they can be a real PITB...

Comments (28)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH