SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

55" or 65" TV and brand

secsteve
5 years ago

I also posted this in the electronics forum, but always seem to get a better response to my questions here.

Geo and I have decided to get a new tv. Nothing wrong with our old Samsung 42" but just want to upgrade. He feels 55" is good, but I think 65" would be better. Both sizes get good reviews, but I figure if we can afford it, why not go for the larger one. We watch a lot of movies and from what I've seen 65" would be better.

Checking things out and Samsung still seems the way to go. But have been told (and will be checking in store later) that Sony and Vizio are also good buys.

Appreciate any input you can give.

Happy New Year to all.

Comments (35)

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Beyond what looks better do you have a place to put it? If you are planning on placing it in an existing cabinet either or both may be too large.

• User
    5 years ago

It depends on how big your living room is. I wouldn't get the 65" in my house. We have a Samsung Curve 3D tv that is 55". It's pretty big.

• Related Discussions

Built in 55" TV above a wood burning fireplace. Pics!

Q

Comments (1)
    That's a beautiful room. I love the wall of windows.
    ...See More

what brand of lcd tv do you have? do you like it?

Q

Comments (46)
    We just went from a 27" crt tv to a 42" LCD Emerson (bought at WalMart on Black Friday) for Christmas. We LOVE it. It's not even hooked up to HD, just DirecTV. We've only seen HD on it when I get a blu-ray from NetFlix. We really love the picture. We also got a Sony blu-ray player that can stream NetFlix. We got the 4 Monster HDMI cables (5 feet) on Black Friday for $10.00 each. We also got a Wii, which we also love. The bowling is so much fun. We will probably get a Wii Fit for it, too. When we get back to MN, we will get a 46" Sony Bravia or a 50" Sanyo plasma. Our tv has a refresh rate of 60, it works for us. And it cost $398 on Black Friday. The LED and the plasma have beautiful pictures, but the LED is a jump in price. I think they will drop though, as the stores push 3D more. The LED is noticeably brighter than the LCDs, to me. But they all look wonderful in the big sizes compared to a 20 or 26" CRT tv. Like being at the movies!
    ...See More

Discount Plasma tv sets / Lcd tv sets for sale.

Q

Comments (1)
    spam
    ...See More

ANOTHER UPDATED...Need help deciding on tv size, 55 or 65 inch

Q

Comments (14)
    I found the wood tv stand I am considering on Kaiyo, a used furnitre site but it seems pretty legit…its $288. plus $99. for delivery but for furniture order of $350+…so i found a picture i like 28x33 in size…for arounf $100. to get my order eligible to ship…so for both its still cheaper than i can find the tv console new for $745. on the fence whether to place the order or not!! Anyone ever order from Kaiyo?
    ...See More
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I had Sony TVs for years, but now I have two LGs and I love them.

I will never buy another Visio, the one that I had stopped working after 18 months and it would have cost more to fix the power supply than to buy a new TV.

I can’t advise on size, 46” is as large as my wall unit can handle. My brother has a 65” LG and he likes it (also a former Sony TV person).

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We have a 55 inch Plasma tv that I hope never breaks because I really love it. Our living room is long and narrow. We’re only 10 feet from the tv and can watch it comfortably, it’s a good size for the space. My DH keeps trying to talk me into a larger 65 inch, but I’m just not interested,

I totally agree with Diane, we recently replaced a Visio with an LG in our master bedroom and there’s no comparison between the two. The Visio got little use and the on/off switch broke after only a couple of years. Not sure how since we only used a remote but one day it just stopped working and apparently that’s not uncommon for the Visio brand. The LG is fantastic, great picture, good options to fine tune it and the sound is strong and clear, no need for a sound bar.

• fran1523
    5 years ago

The biggest problem with the new TVs is they have crappy speakers. i would try to budget for a sound bar as well as the biggest tv you can afford. I have no preference for brand. have an inexpensive Element in the kitchen , another cheapy in the bedroom and an 11 year old Sharp in the living room. As for size I say the bigger the better.

• sephia_wa
    5 years ago

I had two Vizio's die so went with Samsung. After the second Vizio, I read in a couple of different sources how they're relatively cheap and not high quality.

• terilyn
    5 years ago

Samsung and a sound bar!

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

We have a 55" Samsung and soundbar. My father just got a 75" Samsung, and loves it! The distance from your sofa/chairs to the TV should be a consideration. Our 55" is OK, because it is only 10' from the sofa. My father's TV is about 16' from his recliner, so that's a good size. I have several Sony TVs, and happy with all of them, but I will likely buy another Samsung when I'm in the market. I recommend a Smart TV, with the remote that you can talk to. Enjoy!!

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

I have a 32 " Samsung and really like it. I am going to try to go up to a 42" next yr. I'd go to a 48" but don't have the space for it. The 32" seemed so huge after my 26"! Maybe by next yr I'll figure out how to fit a 48" in here.

go to a store and stand in front of both sizes (tv on), stand back as far as you can to equal the distance you'd watch from when at home and see what you think of each size. Then decide.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Love my Samsung 65 ". Loved my previous Samsung 58" plasma before the flood.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

It also depends on the resolution of the tv. Plus the height you place it in relation to where you will view it from. Here is a good guide to sizing a tv by type and for your viewing habits.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/choose-right-tv-size,news-24708.html

• ritamay91710
    5 years ago

You won't regret going bigger. And another recommendation for Samsung.

• katlan
    5 years ago

Go as big as you can. Our LR is 16x19 and we have a 70" mounted on the wall. It sat on a stand for years but I wanted it wall mounted to clear some visual clutter from the room. Love it! We've had it for probably 5 or 6 years now. We will buy that size or bigger when the time comes. Hopefully not for a long, long time!!

I do agree, the speakers are crappy. I have a bluetooth speaker we use. Not all the time. But in some shows/movies the background music just overwhelms the words. With the bluetooth speaker we can hear the words over the music but still hear the music in the background. I have 2 bluetooths, one is a little cube you can hold in your hand, great for setting it right beside you because it can be kept turned down so low you can't hear it in the next room. The bigger one we have, we use if everyone in the room wants to hear the show.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

There is a ‘rule’ or more of a guide for how big your tv should be. Measure the distance from your sitting area to the tv location. Multiply by 12 (example, if it’s 10ft, multiply by 12 inches which would be 120). Then divide by 3, which would be 40 in the example. That is the size tv (diagonal measurement) you should get. You could go up to the next size.

As to brand, there are many reviews for the size you are looking to buy. Samsung and LG get generally very good reviews as does Sony. Sony is going to be higher priced. Vizio has fallen off in ratings lately. Just be sure to get the features you need and want. Sound is usually bad and you will need augmented sound via a sound bar or similar. Curved screens have not proved to be popular and aren’t viewable from every angle in some rooms. We just bought a new tv a few months back so did a fair amount of research.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

We have a small sony tv and it plays an extremely loud two-tone when you turn it on. Fortunately it's in the office and not in the bedroom! The tv is fine but that noise is most annoying...and I've not found a way to turn it off.

We have a 50" LG plasma that we put in in 2010 and are still happy with it. But technology has changed so much since then, that it's probably already quite out of date.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

We treated ourselves to 4 TV's last year when we moved into our new place: a small 20" LG for the kitchen shelf, a 60" Samsung for the family room and two 55" Sony's (one in the bedroom and one in DH's study). We like the picture quality in all of them.

If you're planning on wall mounting your TV my DH really likes the Sonos extension mount. We bought everything from Best Buy and had them do the installation. The extension mount can hold large TV's and articulates which allows for flexibility in viewing - it tilts up and down, swivels and extends out to 20" + and holds the sound bar.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

Samsung is still VERY good. Bigger is better! I have sound systems attached to ALL my TV's.

I just purchased a 32" Sceptre. My dentist has them in all her patient rooms. They are cheaper, less dpi's.....but.....seem to last, per my dentist's experience. The sound was especially bad on THIS TV.

• quasifish
    5 years ago

I agree with what someone previously said about it depends on how far away you will be sitting from the screen. Our living room is 15' wide- sofa on one wall, TV on the other. We had a 55 for a couple of years and when it had problems and died, there was no doubt in my mind to go to 65.

When we were first thinking about buying a big TV, we cut out pieces of paper the size of the actual TV and taped them to the wall where the TV would ultimately be. Then we lived with the paper for a little while to get a feel for how it would fit into the room. It's not the same as a TV, but will give you some ideas as to how big it will feel in the room.

• salonva
    5 years ago

We went from having a 32 inch to no tv, to now having a 50 inch. It seems quite fine to me (still adjusting to the big-ness!!) . Reading these it sounds like we should have gone for the 55 but I am really quite pleased with the 50 inch. It's a Samsung which we got promotionally from Verizon. Costco had it as well but with our points and credits, it was significantly cheaper from Verizon.

• Michael
    5 years ago

How big it feels in the room has very little to do with how well it is viewed from the seating area. Use the math to configure your viewing area, otherwise you may be very disappointed.

If you're interested in full surround experience, you'll need to be in
    the middle of the room, not against the back wall. IMO, a 9' viewing
    distance is ideal for full surround theater.

A cheap TV, even with 4K resolution will require a bigger screen. Buy a high end Sony, LG or Samsung.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The suggestion of putting up paper rectangles is a good one. I think people often have TVs that are much too big for the rooms they're in. We don't watch a lot of TV but we've had a 44 inch Sony LED one in our house for the last 5 years or so and it's fine. I find watching larger ones to be uncomfortable.

• kris_zone6
    5 years ago

We had the same question a year ago, but went with a 65" Samsung with a Sony soundbar. Love it.

• carabubble
    5 years ago

We purchased a good 55" inch Samsung last year after our very old TV died. Sometimes I wish I'd gotten a 65" inch, but that's because I tend to be a person who wants more... I just did the math that Outside Playing shared and found that the 55" is the right one for us. Since we're not the type of folks to buy things like TVs just to have bigger and better, I made sure to get a good TV as it will probably be a long time again before we buy another.

It's true that the sound on the new TVs isn't great, so this year the present was to add a soundbar. We purchased a Samsung and found it extremely easy to sync it with the Samsung TV. Make sure you get a soundbar with a subwoofer. Ours also has Bluetooth. When my husband was out one day I linked it to my cell phone and played Christmas music VERY LOUDLY while I wrapped. Good times!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Go BIG!

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

lots of great advice! measure for distance and the spot where it will go...i would not want a huge TV if i am sitting close to it (small room).

we have a Sonos sound bar on the 2013 TV, its AWESOME. 2015 TV - Smart TV i s hooked up to Surround Sound speakers and it great!! both are Panasonic's Plasma's

one TV is 50" and the other is 55"...

GO as Big as you can, but again follow the guidelines for distance.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

We bought the complimentary Samsung sound bar this year that mates up with our Samsung tv. We have it hooked up with Bluetooth and put it directly behind our chairs and we can hear it so much better than in the front under the TV. We can switch back and forth with the TV speakers if anyone else is here watching TV. We had full surround sound in the previous homes but we didn't want all that. The one soundbar with all in one is just right. We could get a second one to put under the TV to have sound coming from front and back but for now it's fine. Actually our Samsung TV has quite good sound quality directly from the TV.

• Michael
    5 years ago

If you're using the bluetooth feature on the soundbar, and it's behind you, you can activate the TV speakers at the same time for something similar to surround sound.

Soundbars are ok for some, but I wouldn't be interested in watching movies at home with anything less than a full surround system, including Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers.

• caflowerluver
    5 years ago

We had a 42" plasma before and went up to a 55" Samsung smart TV. It took awhile to get use to it. We can't go much bigger because of a window in one wall and a fireplace in the other. We have it in a corner between the two. We have a Bose Soundbar speaker. We tried different speakers and this seemed like the best one. Though I am not that impressed.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

Haven't read the other posts... but we recently upgraded our Vizio flat screen to a Sony 65". The picture on the Sony is outstanding compared to the Vizio. So realistic.

This was our Christmas present to ourselves and we love it!!

Sony XBR65X850F 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2018 Model)

Don't know why the link didn't attach!!

SONY TV

• Michael
    5 years ago

pudgeder,

My daughter tried a Vizio 65" for their huge entertainment room. Within a week I hung up our Sony 900F and she immediately took advantage of the return window. Today I'll be wall mounting a 65" Sony for her.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

• randy427
    5 years ago

I like the sound quality on our Samsung better than on the Sony. It seems to be significantly better in the low frequency audio range. A 46" screen is adequate for me to view from 12', which falls in line with Outside Playing's formula.

• Michael
    5 years ago

It depends on the level of Samsung and Sony. A $2,500 Sony with 5 speakers and Atmos built in will blow away any Samsung on the market. It even makes some entry level surround sound systems weak.

As for me, I don't listen to TV speakers. I'd be missing all the sound effects.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ravencajun what model and sound bar did you get?

Thanks everyone for your input. Like the suggestion about going to the store and looking at both 55 and 65 at a distance that we'd have at home.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

Not sure why the link didn't attach ---

But today this TV was 100$ less than when we got it in November.

The picture is unbelievably phenomenal!

AMAZON - Sony TV

Our kids got us a sound bar for Christmas... now we need them to come hook it up for us. LOL