SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beej210

Anyone have experience with Cabinets to Go quality?

beej210
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are doing a large kitchen remodel, the space is an L shape about 24'x20', hence LOTS of cabinets. Most cabinet bids are coming in anywhere between $42k-$55k which is more than I'd like to spend on cabinets. For reference it's about 90-100 linear feet of cabinets. We have found a builder who has lots of 5-star reviews here on Houzz and he recommends Cabinets to Go. He said he's done a bunch of houses with their cabinets and had no issues at all. The bid for the cabinets AND installation came in around $32k so a solid $10k cheaper than the next cheapest option. Additionally, his installer used to work for a cabinet maker, knows what he is doing, and doesn't use the fasteners that come with it but instead glues each piece together.

Most of the reviews I've read about Cabinets to Go are negative because of delivery, damaged shipments, etc. But I haven't seen anything specific to their quality. We intend on staying in this house for 20+ years and would like something that will hold up.

So 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with Cabinets to Go quality (which from everything I can tell appears to be very good).

2. Any other cabinet lines we should be looking at for good quality and looks good? IKEA is out because everything I can see is more shaker style and we want more traditional. Costco has 2 companies one semi-custom and the other fully custom. The semi custom doesn't have the colors we want, and the fully custom shop quoted us $47k.

Comments (18)

• shrewdshoppa
    5 years ago

I have a friend that used them for his small kitchen remodel. He said he had no issues but he also used a good carpenter to install them and had them painted. I have been thinking Ikea for my remodel but only for the boxes.I would use semihandmade for doors. https://www.semihandmadedoors.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr7CBy4C93wIVgx-GCh3Odw-lEAAYAiAAEgKsjfD_BwE. If you go with cabinets to go or really any manufacter make sure you have plenty of leadtime and have a good installer. My parents have Kraftmaid and while to glass in their kitchen is pretty I really can‘t tell the difference with anything else.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone have experience with the Decor Cabinet Line?

Q

Comments (12)
    At one time I was considering using a designer and one of the brands she used regularly was Decor not Decora. They are made in Canada. At that time I posted to see if anyone had experience with them and got no responses except for Decora brand which isn't the same. I did find their website after some searching online. www.decorcabinets.com We decided in the end to go with a local custom cabinet maker so I can't offer anything more. Good luck.
    ...See More

Anyone have experience with JSI rta cabinets? Essex or Dover?

Q

Comments (12)
    After a lot of research and agonizing over our cabinet decision, we finally ordered Barker RTA in natural cherry with conversion varnish. In doing so, we saved thousands over our other quotes which will allow us to purchase higher-end appliances. We have already assembled them, and are in the process of hanging them this coming week (knock on wood on the timing). Based on our experience, I can say without reservation that Barker cabinets ARE definitely top quality USA made cabinets and are VERY easy to assemble.
    ...See More

Does anyone have experience with Gobrico cabinet hardware?

Q

Comments (1)
    https://www.houzz.com/user/gliderite-hardware
    ...See More

Blanco Ikon on Ikea base cabinet? anyone have experience doing this?

Q

Comments (16)
    That's why I asked what your backup was. If it'll work and the apron is just shy of 10", you use the two drawer fronts (the 15" and the 5"), which get fastened together on the inside and make one "tall" drawer. If it doesn't and the apron is too deep for both, then just use the 15" front and shorter cans. Get the two drawer fronts (15" and 5") and the fastening kit - if it doesn't work, you can return the other front and the kit. IKEA is having stock issues lately and it's easier to order and return if you don't need something, especially if you're on a timeline or hiring someone to do the work. Make sure you get a cover panel for the sink too, in case you have to go for the second (15" only) option (you'll need one anyway to go around the apron regardless, since it's a 27" sink in a 30" cabinet).
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I use Ikea in many of my kitchen designs and IMO best bang for your buck. I have always used the Ikea doors but have on occassion had them painted a different color for clients. As for the company you list even the name would turn me off. BTW IKea’s system of assembly and install is awesome and however puts them together needs to understand there is no glue needed . The first quote you listed would be a bargain for a big kitchen , this is not the place to cheap out . Make sure your design has all drawers for base cabinets too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Glue?? Ah, no. I too think you can do better than that, but for your size kitchen, and depending on the complexity and "bells and whistles and the fact you plan to have them for a long time, better get at least mid range cabinets. Skimp now, pay later.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    I’d bet you would be happy with Ikea. I’ve used them and was very happy with them. If you want a different style door, there are many shops that make doors to fit. Semi handmade is one, but there are others as well. I’ve never used cabinets to go, but my impression is that they cater to low budget, someone who may not actually live with the cabinets. Kitchen cabinets should function well in addition to looking nice.
  • forevernow
    5 years ago

I've seen a lot of mention of people using Ikea boxes with Sherr doors. Apparently it happens so much that they make doors specifically for Ikea boxes. No personal experience with them but you might check out that option. I've looked at their website and they make a lot of different styles.

• HU-727401318
    2 years ago

AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS. ONCE YOU PAY IP FRONT, YOUR AT THEIR MERCY. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• Denise Perez
    2 years ago

I had the worst experience working with the newly promoted manager at this store Victoria Krol. I have never in my life experienced such terrible customer service, lack of professionalism and entitlement from another human being. When you go to a place like Cabinetstogo you believe that you will get some design ideas and go through revisions. There are some unexpected things that can come up in the midst of a remodel. You can say I want this put ultimately when you knock down walls etc you find out well this can't be done. Prior to the project beginning Victoria was doing the design apparently I asked for too many changes. Like I am an expert in design I mean if you say I would like the cabinet here but you go home and you see that won't work well sorry it has to change. Isnt that your job? When I first came in this lady was a sales rep she was promoted soon after and that's when she became ignorant. After the fact that the installer was at my home at 7 30 am that day and noticed that Victoria ordered the A. Wrong color ... ok it happens which she blamed on me and the many revisions see text. She then B. Ordered the incorrect sizes on my island. Lets see who she blames that on. Her mistake cost me weeks in delay for the kitchen. The day when I messaged her in the AM in front of the installer she texted me that I woke her up. I texted as an fyi so I later in the midst or chaos wouldnt forget. In her text she is ranting that there is no way to change the order with out cancelling the install when the installer was already in my home! She is always negative always telling you what she cannot do! Fine I apologized then with the installer there WE call her she then starts yelling at me on the phone telling me she doesn't care that I spent $18k on a kitchen therr are people that spent more that I made changes. I then handed over the phone to the installer because there is no way I am going to get yelled at by someone that is working for me right. Beyond this there were foot rests missing boards that where sent extra that get THIS if you want your money back YOU have to find a way to get these heavy cabinets or boards back to them to u can get you money back!! I complained about that and was able to get assistance in picking them up. Gabriella saved the whole situation there. She was kind empathic and post this issue I never spoke to this Victoria again. Literally triggered PTSD. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY BUT IF U MUST GO TO BOLINGBROOK STORE. It looks like Gabby should be the promoted one. After such a terrible experience I plan on going to the Better Business Bureau next.

O and here is the kicker do not buy granite from them either the company they used messed up on my over hang look at the pictures I cannot make any of this up. Past 2 months and I now have to resolve this quartz overhang issue with the co the sub contract. WORST COMPANY EVER!

• Marcie Indelicato
    2 years ago

Save yourself the grief of dealing with a series of problems. I ordered the cabinets from Cabinets To Go in St. Peters, MO, writing a check for the full amount on September 25, 2021. Six weeks later, we picked up our cabinets. The camlocks were bad on 6 cabinets. We were told that if we used L brackets it would void the warranty. We had other damaged cabinets that were damaged before they were wrapped and shipped. Note, once you hand over your money, the store is done helping you. You have to call the customer service line. Last week 1/8/22 all of the items were in so we could move forward. The manager, Terry that designed my kitchen, used the 30" sink base instead of the 36" sink cabinet and shortened the measurement of the wall from 155" to 148". The three stooges could have done better. Last night we discovered the corner base is a wall unit and is not deep enough or tall enough for the corner unit. My dream kitchen is now a really bad nightmare. We have missed hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and rescheduled trips and the workers time. Supervisors are hard to come by in this company. Go to Hoods, Ikea, Home Depot, Lowes.

• Frank Giannizzero
    2 years ago

Don't use them, they did my cabinets and flooring .Nothing but problems. They gave me a 10 warrantee on the flooring and 6 months after it was done it starting cracking and separating in spots. They installed the flooring under the cabinets and appliances which I found out later was incorrect. Now they want to charge me more to level the floor ,something that should have been done right from the start. Also They originally overcharged me for extra cabinets they ordered in error and it took a while for my refund. They measured incorrectly .Their installers are very unprofessional .Stay away from this company. My floor was installed in November 2020 and the problem still hasn't been corrected and I still haven't received a refund.

• Dee Martin
    last year

So a yay or nay on cabinets to go?? Also, I heard IKEA cabinets are particle board??? I bought furniture from IKEA before and starts falling apart a 2 years??

• Charlie
    last year

Low quality. Not recommended for sure. Only thing worse is their people designing for them.

• sushipup2
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ikea has some of the highest quality cabinets available, Forget "particle board", it's MDF. Does not compare to furniture. Ikea sells both cheap furniture and sturdy furniture -- learn the difference. The cabinets are excellent.

• HU-624213132
    last year

I like Ikea but the cabinets I seen at Ikea were crap. The ones I seen did not have structural backs just a couple of thin pieces of board for mounting and the back panel was a cheap thin flexible panel If they have higher quality I seriously would like to know where they are because I would then consider them.

• Dwight Nicholas
    last year

Horrible quality. Cabinets are held together by plastic clips that eaisly break! Wrong parts in the boxes ahd to stop and wait for new parts to be shipped. When I finally did get the correct parts and finished the installation, 2 of the cabinet doors were made too small. Contacted cabinets to go again and I was told the order was over 60 days old so they would not replace the doors. STAY AWAY FROM CABINETS TO GO-HORRIBLE SERVICE and HORIBLE QUALITY!!!

• Nikki Ray
    last year

@beej210 - Who did you end up getting your cabinets from?

• HU-48659701
    last year

i had a very bad experience with CABINET TO GO IN HOUSTON I PAID FOR A WHOLE KICHEN MAKE OVER . THAT WAS TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO , I FINALLY GOT THE LAST CABINET DOOR INTALLED TODAY, THEY HAD ALL THE MONEY UP FRONT,AND CAME UP WITH EVERY EXCUSE IN THE BOOK ABOUT WHY IT WAS TAKING SO LONG, VERY UN PROFESSIONAL , THE ONLY THING I CAN TELL YOU IS I WOULD NEVER RECCOMEND ANYONE TO DEAL WITH CABINET TO GO. NEVER RECIEVE A CALL ABOUT ANYTHING , I WAS THE ONE ALWAYS CALL TO SEE ABOUT PROGRESS ON MY ORDER. .NO ONE EVER CALLED ME . I DO NOT RECOMMEND CABINET TO GO TO MY WORST ENEMY,,,,,PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CABINETS TO GO, TAKE MY SUGGESTION SERIOUS, I LIVE IN TEXAS. STAY AWAY FROM CABINETS TO GO

• julesgriffith
    6 months ago

I used to work for CTG in kitchen design sales and I would not use them unless it is a small project like a vanity or something simple. They are RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets and are similar quality-wise to others on the market, but overpriced compared to others. Customer service has improved in 2023 but has a LONG way to go. We were told they come from Vietnam or Malaysia. Some companies get them from China and send them to Vietnam and Malaysia to be packaged so they can avoid the Chinese tariffs. I don’t know if this is the case with CTG but can tell you the owner used to own Lumber Liquidators and had to sell it after getting into major hot water years ago. (Check out the old 60 Minutes investigation on YouTube with Anderson Cooper) The one thing I will suggest is do not buy anything that does not have plywood boxes (the sides and back of the cabinet) and at least CTG does use plywood. Many cabinets out there have particle wood boxes which are horrible quality. It could be called MDF or other names but if it is not specifically called plywood, then it is not. They may look gorgeous but if the box gets wet (from a leak etc) it will warp from expansion and contraction and cannot be fixed. A great indicator of particle board boxes is the pricing. If it is considerably less than a plywood box cabinet, it is likely particle board. This is the case with IKEA. They look fantastic but are sub-par quality wise. If you want quality cabinets they will come with a higher price tag no matter where you get them from. In cabinets the old saying is true: you really do get what you pay for.