SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Is your Christmas meal....

amylou321
5 years ago

Different than your thanksgiving one? A lot of people that i know have the exact same thing. Turkey with all the trimmings, sometimes they will ADD ham, but the staple is the turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc. My sister will be serving the EXACT same meal at Christmas that she served for Thanksgiving. She says its because people like it, its festive and seasonal. Okay.

Growing up, we would have the same meal both days, because my mom was and is not a joyful or skilled cook, and frankly lacks imagination. When I was 10, I took over daily dinner preparation as well as the Holiday meals. When i took over, Christmas meals were everything from standing rib roasts to lasagna to a feast of finger foods(my favorite way to eat, BTW)

This year, I will be working Christmas Eve and Christmas Nights, and won't be attending my sisters feast. However, my mom will be having her Christmas meal on the 29th, and I will be cooking the whole meal for her. It will be a mish mash of sorts. The menu planning is made a bit more complicated by the fact that my BIL is allergic to beef, pork, dairy, and nuts. So I have to make sure i have enough for him to eat as well, which is why i am doing both a ham and a turkey breast (or a chicken, haven't decided yet) as well as shrimp. So we will have 3 main proteins, but instead of sides i am making a bunch of little nibbles and dips that we all love so we can graze all afternoon and evening. So far I have decided to make:

Salsa

Guacamole

Our family chip dip

Buffalo chicken dip

Popper dip

Olive Bread

Devilled Eggs (2 kinds, because my recipe has bacon and BIL cant eat them, so i make a different kind for him)

Mac and Cheese

Stuffed Mushrooms

Fruit Tray

Veggie Tray

Cheese Tray

Rolls (for sandwiches of course)

Stuffed Mushrooms

Meatballs (Probably turkey,ick)

Some sort of potato

More to come i am sure.......

So what about you? Do you do the same meal or do you have a different tradition for Christmas?

Comments (34)