SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morricone

Is there a standard for handrails on a stairway? For a 1920s craftsman

morricone
5 years ago

I'm installing a handrail on my 1920's craftsman style house, and just wondering what should be standard for my layout. I have the previous owner's railings, but I think it was overkill and I'd like to keep it minimal. Not sure what the standard may be. Stairway is 7 steps up, then 2 landings doing a 180 turn, then another 5 steps up to the second level. I have a fairly large banister that spans the first 5 stairs up. There was a full railing on the right side spanning all 7 steps up, plus another railing above the banister covering the top 2 steps. And of course for the second half there was a railing that spanned the top 5 steps, which I will install.

Main question is would I need the full 7 step railing on the right? Or does the banister suffice, and I can just make do with installing the 2 step piece on the upper left? It's a standard 36" wide stairs on the lower half. And I'm not doing this for safety - had no railings for years. Just want to get it up to standard. There were elderly people living here before, so possibly they had more railing than needed.

So if anyone has input on what would be standard for a modern feel but still retaining the original style of this type of house. Which is similar to a bungalow layout on the main level, but has a full 3 bedroom upstairs. Any input would be appreciated.

Banister from main level

Looking up the stairs

Looking down from half way point

Looking down from second level

Comments (7)