SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleshbits

Yard Drainage - French Drain, Planting, Other?

fleshbits
5 years ago

I recently closed on my house. I knew it was going to have drainage problems. The construction manager insists he is going to make it right even after they have my money. I am trying to make plans in case he doesn't. Alterations will void my warranty, but I doubt they are going to honor a foundation warranty anyway given how many outs are listed on it.

So, to do the best I can with what I have, I looked up what I can do for yard drainage.

I know that I really need rain gutters, The roof has two slopes that come together on a seem and all the water comes down from that point into my backyard by the porch. This is so squishy that if I step on it, it feels like a water bed. The sod will fold up and sink down and I will have mud up to my ankles.

The yard is about as squishy along the side of the house running next to the fence. The slop from my neighbor and I both empty out there, but it is not angles enough toward the street for the water to go anywhere.

I was thinking of digging out a french drain there. I googled it up and I think I can manage to dig a trench, angle it, and lay some plastic pipe. I wonder if I have to get permission from the HOA or the City to do it. It is also on the side of the house where all the water, gas, and cable connections are, so I am a little scared.

I was also wondering if the yard would be better with some plants. I am sure the sod hasn't taken root yet. How long does it take? Will it make my yard more solid? Are there any bushes or other plants I could plant along the fence that will help suck up the excess water, but be able to live through Texas droughts too? I can't have anything too tall, but up to 5 foot is fine. I got a few feed width to play with, it it kind of narrow between houses.

I can also see if I could get a dump truck of loom soil and buy myself a wheel barrow and start trying to raise low spots.

Any other suggestions?

Comments (4)