SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gng1103

Kitchen help...hate the granite countertops

gng1103
5 years ago

To make a long story short, we decided to update our countertops. In the spring, we will get new floors as well. The laminate counters that were in our house when we moved in had been peeling and falling apart. I just couldn't take it anymore. After my husband and I finally compromised on a granite (santa cecilia) we had it installed yesterday and we hate it in our kitchen. I know it clashes with the floors right now, but I think almost anything will until we replace it in the spring. Huge mistake was not going to look at the slab, so yes I now, not smart on our part. I feel like these counters are too light. I will share a before and after photo. I actually like the laminate we had better and wish we had never even changed anything right now. We have family coming out in a couple weeks and this is just a disaster. We have countertops we don't like that clash with everything, no backsplash picked out because I want to change the countertop color (I like a little darker with more brown I think) and it's just a mess right now. Honest opinion, do I change it out? Do I try and make this work? I have sherwinn williams accessible beige in the kitchen wall and then tony toupe in the morning room that is open to the kitchen. I don't even know what color backspash to get with this to make the countertops look darker. Would getting stainless appliances help? \ It's way more creamy and lighter than I thought. Huge lesson learned with this small project. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated, whether it is a new countertop color suggestion or backsplash and paint suggestion to keep the counters. thank you!!!!

Comments (70)

• gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just hate how it looks very creamy...like cookies and cream lol It looks more gray because the cream color and more black in it than what we saw. Do you all have any backsplash suggestions? I don't even know what to do with this color countertop with backsplashes. I would like to at least get that put in asap instead of leaving the walls above torn and with holes.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

My suggestion is to get better lighting, under the counter lights for a start and then possibly a few pendant lights over the counter areas. It would make a huge difference.

• Related Discussions

Menards kitchen countertop stock granite

Q

Comments (21)
    Just to clarify, we used water and painters tape with our circular saw. We taped the line we wanted 4x then I held the water hose to the blade while he cut. We never had an issue with overheating. I'm not sure what you mean about someone getting hurt, Sophie? We were first timers and just winged it and we had no issues? Obviously, if you have NEVER used a saw on ANYTHING before it might be dangerous. We didn't have any warped cuts either? This was not a hard job and doesn't have to be for just the pros! We still have extra pieces, so I might see if hubby will make you a video of him cutting it kathieloftis. That might help you decide if it's right for you.
    ...See More

ugly outdated brown kitchen with granite countertops!! help!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Boxerpal, I appreciate for your comment, do you have a boxer ? We do too he is the sweetest. About our kitchen , our main goal is getting away from the cabinet color we have now and change to something light , but we don’t want to have to change the granite top for budgeting reasons , but it’s also setting limits for our options for the cabinet colors. Our home is basic and traditional since it is a new home that look like like everyone else in the neighborhood so we are changing things up slowly. We want to go more contemporary, minimalist style . Light , earth tones would be ideal . I will try to take some better Pictures after I clean up the kitchen . 😂
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodel ideas for countertops - granite or quartz?

Q

Comments (24)
    You have such a wonderful opportunity when doing a remodel. Contrast is exciting but the more contrast, the busier and likely more crowded and smaller your kitchen will look. I'm with Calidesign on continuing the maple onto the island. If the only decision you can still make is the countertop, definitely use the same on both types of cabinets. In choosing colors, colors closer in value (level of light and dark) can add dimension without looking as busy. Note in the kitchen above that they've used a muted blue with the wood.. not a dark blue. But also note where your eye stops. It's at that black hood and range -- due to the contrast. And the same would be true on the dark countertop if there weren't so many reflections. As for the countertops, I opted for a very high-end natural quartzite because it's less porous than granite and I wish I had chosen a quartz product. Stone varies so much and can stain very easily in lighter colors, even those touted as being non-porous. Good luck with your renovation!
    ...See More

quartzite vs. granite for kitchen countertops?

Q

Comments (2)
    We have polished quartzite in our kitchen and absolutely love it. No staining issues, but different quartzite slabs (and certainly dolomite slabs) can react differently so you will just want to get a sample of the quartzite you are interested in and test it at home with water, oil, condiments, lemon juice, etc. to see how it reacts.
    ...See More
  • stillpitpat
    5 years ago

When we received our turquoise flooring, I got scared. I was afraid I would be overwhelmed. I took a few tiles out and placed them here and there in order to get used to the color. Once the floor was finished, my "prep" had helped, and I loved it. Unfortunately, you didn't get to have that slow introduction, but hopefully over time you will come to like your counter. I would at least give it some time and see if you come around. Personally, I like it better. I am not a brown kitchen person, so I'm definitely biased, but I do think the new counters are nicer that the "what I expected" picture.

• Hill W
    5 years ago
    Following
  • gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really wanted to pick out backsplash this weekend. What colors would even go with this?? I'm at such a loss.

• gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really appreciate all your advice!!! You are all amazing. I guess I just don't like all the black in the granite against the cream. Then with our cherry cabinets it's just not what I envisioned. =( What we looked at was a lot more brown.

• damiarain
    5 years ago

I think there’s good advice above & it does look nice.

Also, it looks like there might be both Santa Cecelia (golds and browns) and Santa Cecelia light (whites and greys). Do you still have the sample you looked at from before you bought?

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

the cream shade in the counter in a good ceramic subway tile will work. You need samples as there are many tones when you working with lighter colors. Just get to your tile store and bring home 5 tiles and prop them up. This isn't needed right now, but if you want to do it, you have to be mindful and not rush.

• gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was actually kind of wondering if they gave us santa cecilia light instead of just santa cecilia. But I don't know how to even tell.

• Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    It looks like the granite you wanted, based on that photo, is Giallo Fantasia. It’s a builder grade granite from China. Very inexpensive. (It’s what I have in my kitchen and was not an upgrade, just standard for the builder.) So if you did decide to replace it that color is pretty cost effective. That said, your granite looks nice based on the photos. Flooring and backsplash make a big impact. Ultimately what can YOU live with? It’s your space and should make you happy.
  • damiarain
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It’s possible the name will be stamped on the underside of your counters - grab a flashlight, open your cabs and take a look (I found ours in 1 cabinet).

ETA just realized ours are quartz... I guess I’m not 100% sure if granite is also stamped)

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    I saw that when I was looking for granite and thought it was too dark for my mid tone with cabinets. Sure, go ahead and rip it out, toss it landfill and get something darker. But I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything darker either.
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Your new counters look lovely. The real problem is that you are "between" looks. Your floors are dead wrong for your new counters, and your paint color isn't helping (not terrible, just not helping). Start choosing your new floors, so you can assure yourself of where you will end up. Consider new paint (SW Neutral Ground comes to mind, at least for the interim). Also consider slowly changing out your black appliances for stainless; to better coordinate with lighter countertops. Decorate your lighter countertops with deeper/darker colored décor--the opposite of the "lighter" objects you used on your dark countertops.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

I think it looks great. If you want it to look more like your inspiration picture then you have to change your lighting to more yellow bulbs.

In in terms of a backsplash, as someone else said, your best option is probably to pick a creamy tile that matches the cream in your countertop. To make sure the cream matches your counter, buy samples of a bunch of creamy tiles and bring them home to put them next to your counter in your lighting to make sure that it isn’t too warm or cool for your counters. Once you find the right tile, choose a grout that is as close to the tile color as you can.

But if there is any chance you will change your counters, don’t buy backsplash because the backsplash that goes with this counter won’t necessarily go with a new counter, and may be destroyed when you remove your old counter anyway. You can live without a backsplash until you make a final decision.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I think it looks MUCH better! Go with a light solid color backsplash with matching grout & enjoy your kitchen.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago

Don’t rush into another decision on the backsplash - it’s not going to help you love the look when you hate the floors. Take a deep breath and live with what you have for now - update/add lighting as suggested and see if you still hate it AFTER floors are done. I agree with others that it is much better than what you replaced, though I understand it is not what you were envisioning in your head and thinking you were getting, which would upset anyone. But don’t compound the issue with another hasty decision when it will likely be a waste of more money.

• gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

now my husband wants to just replace the countertops. He thinks I would like new Venetian Gold better (less creamy and a little darker) but I worry it will just end in the same result And it already makes me sick we spent thousands. I’m going To have him read all these responses. You all have been a HUGE help. Any more advice I would love to hear!!!

• elunia
    5 years ago

Once again, listen to the excellent advice posted above - don’t rush! Paint the backsplash area and concentrate on enjoying the holiday season. I do agree with chocolatesnap - I think the current wall color combined with the flooring are working against the new countertops. Some examples of what neutral/cream tiles may look like in case you end up keeping the granite (obviously, get samples and try them out at home).

Santa Cecilia Light granite countertop · More Info

True North Cabinets · More Info

• traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

If you had the same lighting as in your “what you were expecting “ photo I think you’d find the overall look is pretty close. I think it looks good.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

One should be vary cautious when using photographs when judging how a particular material will look. Those beautiful pics have been heavily Photoshoped. Color, brightness, hue, saturation and many other aspects have been adjusted to maximize the visual impact of scene, as such, they may not be depicting how a material actually looks. You always need to obtain samples and view them in your home under your lighting conditions.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Rather than spending thousands more to replace the counters, maybe you should just consider changing your vision for the kitchen. I much prefer the lighter counter than your original. If you think the new counter reads more gray, go with that in your backsplash and paint. When you get new flooring, take the gray into consideration. In the meantime, paint the backsplash and get runners for the floor, live with it and don’t fret over the holidays.

• forevernow
    5 years ago

I was basically going to suggest what already has been. Get some rugs for the kitchen area for now to cover the floor. A warmer lighting will also give it more of a brown look. Since you are out of pocket on this already wait and see how you feel about it later. It feels like a disaster to you because it wasn't what you are expecting, but chances are your family will like it. No one is going to walk in and say "What the heck is this?" Let this thing go for now. Worry about it later.

• natesg
    5 years ago

I just googled images for St Cecilia granite with cherry cabinets and came up with lots to compare. It will also give ideas for plain backsplash. I think your kitchen looks lovely as is and you can temporarily use solid rugs on the floor. You can always paint the backsplash until you decide on the tile. Don’t rush this. Take a breath and try to enjoy it.

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    The floor is a little busy but I don't think it clashes. The granite is beautiful. What was there before was dark at dreary. You need a light and bright counter with dark cabinets and it looks really nice with them. You didn't make a mistake! You made a change that you're not used to yet. Use a simple subway backsplash that's similar to the lightest color of the granite with matching or slightly darker grout and you will have a beautiful kitchen!
  • iheartsix
    5 years ago
    I think your new countertop is beautiful and a nice addition to your space.
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love your new counters. I know this is not what you dreamed. But I like it better than the inspiration you chose. Your inspiration pic looks too brown and too gold. I prefer the cooler brown and gray. I think it looks great with the floors and is a perfect color for the cherry cabinets. Cookies and Cream! .YUMMMY. I like your daughter's statement.

Start enjoying those counters. Granite is a perfect place to roll out gingerbread cookies and pie crusts. I love the idea of poinsettias on the counter. The coolness of the stone is super for cooking and clean up will be a breeze.

Don't rush on a backsplash. Slowly think about what you would like to do. Keep it simple and coordinated with the colors in your new BEAUTIFUL stone. And before you buy the tile try updating you bulbs. Find some that are uber bright and others that are soft soft warm yellow. See which you prefer and you might discover that the bulbs can update the colors of the space without ripping out counters. Find what you love before buying tile for the backsplash. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    5 years ago

I think the granite is beautiful and is a great improvement.

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    5 years ago

Granite over laminate any time! Kitchen looks much better now!

• Olychick
    5 years ago

If you look at your "what I was expecting pic" you can see that there are very warm toned pendant lights that are throwing a warm light cast onto the counter below. Perhaps look at getting some warm spectrum lightbulbs in your can lights or do as others suggested and add some pendants.

On my monitor the floor looks quite nice with the counters (which are lovely). I think you'll get used to them and hopefully be glad that you chose the one you did!

• shead
    5 years ago

Get warmer light bulbs and see how that affects the granite colors. I think the granite looks lovely. Cheap runners will downplay the flooring until you can replace. Don’t make any rash decisions because you may dislike the next choice just as much. I wouldn’t change anything until you do your floors and lighting. I’d even consider changing the wall color before the granite because paint will be far less expensive.

• athomeeileen
    5 years ago

I don't see the problem! I think it looks great, and I like it with the floors. Is your faucet installed yet? Maybe you're reacting to the unfinished look and the messy ripped wall? You made a beautiful selection. Your kitchen is lovely. Get the back splash finished.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I have to agree with everyone else -- I don't much like speckled granite, but I think this looks pretty good! The granite works really well with your cabinets, and makes the space feel lighter and fresher than a more yellow/gold tone would. Follow all the advice above about lighting, flooring (temporary rugs, like indoor-outdoor for easy cleaning), paint and accessories.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

while santa cecilia wouldn't be my first choice, it looks fine in your kitchen.

you must go to a stone yard and walk around the giant slabs to get an idea of how it looks. if you go to Home Depot, they show you tiny samples. granite slabs vary greatly. if you're dealing w/an entry level granite, you're going to get the very basic, cheapest looking variety.

Go to a stone yard.

if you keep it, get some decent hardware for the cabs. those dinky knobs are too small for those tall upper cabinets. find some nice handles. this style is nice and you can find it in nickel

for a splash I'd go w/a creamy white, larger subway. done like this if you like. Byzantine-tilebar.com

or this on in ivory

this is Santa Cecelia Gold. You may have gotten the lighter one. (double check to see if your order was wrong)

this one,,Giallo Ornamental. (also entry level)

CleTiles on my own granite.

gng1103 thanked Beth H. :
  • gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Beth!! If you don't mind me asking, what countertops would you suggest?

• kim k
    5 years ago

I also think your inspiration picture is St Cecilia and what you had installed is St Cecilia light. I actually like the light version better but it's all personal preference. Look up a bunch of inspiration photos of kitchens with St Cecilia light and see if you can find any you love... I think you just need a change in perspective. Only you truly know if it makes financial sense to switch the counter. IMO what you wanted and want you got aren't drastically different enough to make the change. Think of all the fun things you can do/buy with that money! Once you have things back on your counters and start living in the kitchen again I hope it won't bother you as much.

gng1103 thanked kim k
  • afcgirl
    5 years ago

I had to laugh at your daughter's comment about cookies and cream. Did that affect you more than you realize? When I first saw my new paint color I loved it and then my teenage son came home (in a bad mood) and said it looks like prison walls, haha. After that I kept seeing prison walls and over-analyzing. Finally, I realized I love the walls (and now my son does too). We still joke about our prison walls. Change is always hard especially when someone makes a comment that makes you second guess it. I think the counters look good.

• gng1103
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The countertops we ordered were just "santa cecilia". No "light" and no "gold". I just feel like ours is very gray looking because there is a lot of cream and black color in it. I'm trying to get used to it and love all these suggestions. You have all been wonderful!!!

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

Your counter looks very nice with the cabs and gives the kitchen a much needed light visual lift and a more modern color palette to work with. The counters in your inspiration photo look visually heavy to me; what you have is a huge improvement. Personally, I would be thanking my lucky stars for getting the slab you did; the darker versions of the stone will be a step backward not forward to an updated look. There is no way I would spend thousands of dollars to replace what you have with another Santa Cecelia slab....put the thousands into your floor and backsplash fund.

Truly, you have no idea the number of people who have posted on here regretting their counter choice....it is the jarring of visual change that throws them. Most report back that they end up liking their counters.

It would be very wise to live with what you have until after Christmas (unless you have exrtra thousands of dollars with no other place to go) to make a final decision. I suspect you will choose to keep them and also expect everyone who comes for the holidays to love your new, updated-looking counters.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

gng1103,,,, you really don't like yours? At all? like, it's worth spending thousands more to replace them?

if that's how you feel, then please go to an actual stone yard and walk around. there are so many beautiful slabs on the market. Look at examples of quartz , if you want something less busy looking.

Take a look at pre-fab countertops too. they can be less expensive. they will already be cut depth-wise, and come in 6', 8', or 9' sizes..

don't ever purchase something without seeing the slab that you will be getting. Not even a "well, it will look like this". No. because it won't look like that. look at your slab before paying (take a pic of it) and know exactly how they will be cutting your slab. mkay?

do you want something w/a white base? tan base?

Princess white granite,

or TajMajal quartzite

Sea Pearl quartzite

Delicatus Cream (aka Alaska white)

Jet Mist granite, honed

Cambria quartz

caesarstone

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

I think this was a happy accident.

• charmintoo
    5 years ago

Sometimes it's just hard to get used to change. It really does look pretty.

• Donna E
    5 years ago

It looks great.

Don't go darker, it would be horrible. Your old laminate did not look that good.

I think you'd be crazy to rip those out.

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    Your counters are beautiful! I think it takes awhile to get used to change. Give it some time.
  • gardener123
    5 years ago

It's the floors. Change the flooring before you touch the granite. Like so many posters have suggested, I predict you will come to appreciate this counter top once the floors are updated. Get some neutral rugs, and enjoy your family this holiday season.

• Mona
    5 years ago

I enlarged the pictures expecting to see something ugly, but it looks great. The new counters really brighten and modernize the space. I'd leave them and just focus on the floor.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

After reading your post I mentally prepared myself for something horrid-looking and wildly inappropriate. Instead, I saw something wonderful. I tend toward warm tones, but with your very dark cabinets the granite you have is fresh and lovely, much nicer than the yellow tone you were expecting, which I frankly think looks fuddy-duddy with your dark cabinets. To my eye it doesn't clash with the flooring, and warmer light bulbs may make it easier for you to accept the change. It is worlds better than your previous laminate. I actually like it better than the choices Beth showed because the larger, more sweeping patterns don't look right for your kitchen. Please give yourself a chance to like it and even love it, although it is so dear of your husband to offer to replace it. I wouldn't replace him!

• townlakecakes
    5 years ago

Wow. That’s a bit of unnecessary ugliness. As mentioned, a lot of us have regrets immediately after a huge decision or purchase. I don’t agree with the “tear it out because it’s not perfect“ mentality that is EVERYWHERE on this site, but no need to get nasty. Pretty sure the reassurance she has gotten will help a lot more than your high And mighty judgment.

ETA: this was aimed @tatts who posted a comment no longer here.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

townlake,,, she's like that with everyone. on almost every post. says a lot about her.

did you flag it or did she delete it?

• townlakecakes
    5 years ago

I didn’t flag it but somebody else may have. People like that aren’t usually shamed by being called out so I’d be amazed if she deleted it.