SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - train my own help in the garden?

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

Having had bad experiences in the past with "gardeners" for hire who barely know what plants are, and relentlessly pruned new buds off all kinds of flowering bushes (along with a flowering crab apple tree!) so that they would look "neat", and wanted to blow all of the leaves off the beds as well as the paths and sidewalk, and ..... I had about given up on that plan.

However, my garden is neglected (by me), and really needs some serious help. We have a (very well brought up, polite, family oriented) great nephew who took a year off after high school, and worked at various agricultural jobs here and in South America, and has recently come home. He has registered for college, and wants to major in some sort of botanical, or viticulture, etc. type of major. He is looking for a part time job.....light bulb! I talked to him about working for us in our garden a few times a month for a generous amount of $ per hour, along with me, and getting training on hands on working with plants! He is thinking about it. I have no idea what he will decide, but I figure if the commercially available garden maintenance people are so ignorant and dangerous to my plants, I will be better off starting with someone who is relatively ignorant, is already interested in plants, and wants to learn. What do you think? Anyone tried this sort of thing before?

Jackie

Comments (21)