SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indierhythm

Flab Slab Style Cabinets -- Flush to Ceiling? Add a Trim Piece?

indierhythm
5 years ago

This kitchen design is about 90% complete. Still several tweaks to be done. I'm trying to decide whether the cabinets should: A) go straight up to the ceiling , B) have a small flat trim piece between cabinet and ceiling - currently they are designed with 2.75" trim or C) end before the ceiling and add some uplighting in the gap. Was considering adding lighting inside the glass cabinets over fridge and the four to right of microwave that will hold glassware and "bar" items.

I typically prefer cabinetry flush with the ceiling. The advice I've gotten so far is that contemporary slab style cabinets like this do not typically have a trim piece. Also that if the ceiling is not super straight, a trim piece will make that even more obvious. The ceiling height is 104". Standard 36" counters. Uppers to start at 18" over counters, or 54" from the ground -- so that is a 50" tall cabinet if I went to the ceiling. I'd prefer one cabinet over stacked.

Lastly, if there is a trim piece, it was not supposed to be over the hood. That was supposed to be open to the ceiling as in the second picture. But the designer thought it should be there. Would also like thoughts on that. -- Thank you!

Comments (19)