SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forevernow

"Antique" looking sink base in kitchen island?

forevernow
5 years ago

So I kind of like the look of a sink base that looks like you used an old antique piece of furniture in the kitchen, with otherwise new cabinets. Like these below. The thing is our sink (I do plan on getting a farmhouse/apron style) is going to be in the island so I was wondering if people could see this working in an island? It will only be a 6 foot island with a dishwasher (24") on one side, 33" sink base and at 18" trash pull-out on the other side. I wish I could make the surrounding cabinets symmetrically sized but that is all there is room for. I'm planning for a 21-24" overhang to the back of it right now.

Aside from liking the look the other reason I'm considering this is that DH is determine to build all of our cabinets by hand. I would really prefer not to do this. I need a dishwasher now though and he could build the island, and I would have time to (hopefully) convince him to let us purchase the other cabinets and felt like if we're intentionally making the sink base different I would still have lots of options and maybe he'd get the do it all himself bug out of him.

I'd have to think it would work though. He wants to do a mission style cabinets to fit the house, so maybe make it look like an old mission style vanity (last picture)?

Misson style vanity:

Comment