Some evergreen natives

carol23_gw(7a western NC)

Something has been chewing on the Hexastylis.

SaveComment8Like2
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Carol, did you have a question or did you just want to show us your beautiful flowers. The pitcher plants are awesome!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The only thing I know of that eats gingers is Pipevine Swallowtail.

Save    

Since gardens are winding down at this time of year, I thought I would take a few photos.

I grow Aristolochia but never saw that it was eaten. I planted it for butterflies like I planted Passiflora lutea.

The bog gardens have been in my possession for more than ten years. They sit out all year long. I have two of them.

The Chimaphila is native on the property. You can see the seed pods in one photo.

Save    
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Jay... In my garden, the local deer love Asarums, and particularly the European ginger. I have trouble keeping it growing as whenever I get a fair patch going, they browse it to the roots.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Chimaphila, I was wondering what it was. I've never heard of it. That's great that you have 2 bogs. I'd like to add one so I can grow Justicias and Rhexias and maybe an Asclepias rubra. I have a pipevine that has never seen caterpillars also. I figure it's because I'm so far north. I tried growing a ginger that looks like your Hexastylis years ago. It never grew much and eventually expired. Nice talking with you. Thanks for the pictures!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Hi Carol, I have a thread here with a list of natives I'm growing. I have many extra seeds. If there is anything you are interested in I'd be happy to share. All my Asclepias seeds came in small quantities so I'm planting all those out. I have all but 4 of the milkweeds native to Illinois. Things can get crazy. Someone was selling 25 Asclepias variegata seeds on ebay for $640.00. I think that is obsene!

Jay

Save     Thanked by carol23_gw

Jay, thank you for your offer. Over many years I donated and received seeds from various organizatons - HPSMAG, NARGS, and Scottish Rock Garden Society for a time. Although I'm retired I have too many chores and realized I couldn't cope with constant care of seedlings, etc. except for a very few of my own native Clematis which don't require stratification. The one acre property requires vigilant weeding and keeping up with various outdoor projects. There are also houseplants and my two dogs requiring attention. The weather patterns have also been destructive in extreme rainfall which rotted out many plants. I decided to deal with what would survive. I do appreciate your kindness.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just thought I'd offer because I've sensed your deep connection to plants for a long time. Sorry to hear about your weather damage. I enjoy your comments very much.

Jay

1 Like Save     Thanked by carol23_gw
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 15 Native Flowers That Feed Native Bees
These perennials offer superfood to hundreds of bees and are gorgeous in their own right
Full Story
Flowers and Plants Try This Unthirsty Evergreen for Fall and Winter Interest
Juniperus virginiana, with berrylike seed cones, adds an exclamation point to eastern North American gardens
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Evergreen Huckleberry Appeals All Year
Spring flowers and summer berries are only half the story with Vaccinium ovatum, a versatile Pacific Northwest native plant
Full Story
Every job is unique and different with Alfa Landscaping and with over 18 years of experience, our staff will work... Read More
We specialize in foundation and framing repair, remediation of wet basements, yard drainage and stream... Read More