Thanksgiving prep, what did you do so far?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (58)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
What do you think of my compost so far? pics
Comments (12)Hi sandra christie, your last picture looks like a perfect mixture to me. The others looked a little too course and you wouldn't get good contact with the greens and browns if that's true. Keep the whole pile damp like a wrung out sponge and turn it every so often and that stuff will shrink, get loaded with worms and turn into the black gold we all crave here - that's after it heats up and breaks down some. Of course we've got winter to drag through and compost slows down considerably over the cold months. Hang in there, you're on the right track....See MoreHow many Palms do you think you lost so far
Comments (12)Sorry to hear about the damage Prinbama and everyone else reporting their damage. I really hope your palms surprise you. I've got plenty of damage to report too unfortunately. So far I know I lost my Saw Palmetto for sure and my Med Fan palm is very close to death. I will always regret the fact that the lights were not turned on for the coldest night of the winter 3F for all the plants in the front yard. Because of it, my med fan palm is about 90% fried and one oleander is completely dead and my 6 foot tall oleander is going to completely defoliate and possibly die to the ground (or die completely). My Frostproof gardenia has some leaf drop already but I'm optimisitc that it will survive. My Camellias all look okay but I noticed some light damage on my most cold tolerant one! I have a zone 8 camellia that is currently showing no signs of damage but this camellia that is rated for zone 6 has a few leaves with some discoloration. I'm sure it will grow with no problem in the spring, but I was surprised with the damage. My newly planted southern magnolia is showing a little damage to a few leaves but I think it will pull through (I sure am hoping at least!) This has been a miserable winter. My Trachys were well protected but with my white fence, it is impossible to keep them from overheating on sunny days (I have tried everything and I'm not usually home to take protection on and off throughout the week) so they are experiencing some burn where the lights touched the fronds but I'm hoping it survives and looks good in spring. So my count so far is 1 dead palm, one severely damaged palm, and lots of so-so things in the yard. The one good thing will hopefully be less bugs. I have so many mosquitoes in my yard so maybe this winter is what we needed to get rid of some of them. The ponds here haven't been frozen over like this in years. I saw some people playing ice hockey on a pond this week! (probably not the smartest thing though haha) Good luck everyone! 28 more days until the first day of Meteorological spring! -Alex...See MoreMaster Shower/Tub Combo what do you think so far?
Comments (8)Here is a picture of the fiberglass that was done. This picture is BEFORE we had to put in the platform for the tub. The plumber wanted us to put in the platform but neglected to tell us that from the start. We then re-fiberglassed the platform into the shower area. Are you saying we should have fiberglassed the shower walls too??...See MoreChristmas Centerpiece . . . what do you think so far?
Comments (11)sheesharee, Thanks for the tips on the paint and clear coating. Have you considered using a red or cranberry colored cloth instead of the green? Which ever matches the color in your runner. I think it might contrast better. Especially if you use something with a shimmer or sheen to it. I also had the same thought Lovesummer had; placing them on the counter and bunching up the fabric at the bases, instead of putting them in the basket. They might be more stable that way. I know they won't be as tall as you had envisioned but they may be more stable that way. You can still get the varied heights, using bricks or other heavy objects to set them on, then bunch up the fabric to hide the elevators. These trees sure are a whole lot heavier than I would have thought they'd be. I think you've done a fabulous job on them! Getting the display just right is trial and error and keep playing with it until its perfect. Its sometimes harder than making the stuff that goes on display....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

HOLIDAYSYour Guide to Stress-Free Thanksgiving Prep
We break down shopping, cleaning and cooking into manageable bites so you can enjoy yourself on the day
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThese Are the 10 Most Popular Kitchen Photos So Far in 2019
White, gray and black cabinets shine in these stunning new kitchen photos saved by Houzz users
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Kitchens So Far in 2020
Hardworking islands, custom details and functional layouts stand out in the most-saved kitchen photos this year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe Top 10 Kitchen Photos So Far in 2021
Get design ideas for cabinets, islands and other features from the most-saved kitchens this year
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHow to Host a Big Holiday Meal in Your Not-So-Big Home
Here are 7 things you can do to make your dinner party a success
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHoliday Party Prep: Plan Your Table Settings
Do a dry run with dinnerware, table decorations and the buffet setup now to avoid surprises and stress later
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNOut With the Old Tile: 8 Steps to Prep for Demolition
This isn't a light DIY project: You'll need heavy-duty tools and plenty of protection for your home and yourself
Full Story

MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
amylou321