SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgmd_gaz

Sweet Nothings, add yours

lgmd_gaz
5 years ago

You know what I mean, those little things that brighten an otherwise mediocre day. Yesterday, I emptied my jar of peanut butter. This morning when I opened a new one, 'someone' had already taken the inner seal off and in the smooth top of the peanut butter drew a heart and Hi! into it.

That would be the same someone that I heard speaking from another room a few days ago. Something like, "'cmon, cmon in, she will like you and feed you, you can spend the winter, no, no don't go that way, this way, thats it, Oh no, darn, she flew". I went to see who he was talking to. Would you believe that he was trying to coax a Lady Bug to come in off the window in the kitchen.

Its those little things that can make a day brighten up and help you put aside some of the minor irritants....and count your blessings.

Comments (37)

• roxanna7
    5 years ago

Dawn - I love that!!

• Related Discussions

Nothing brings out your inner serial-killer....

Q

Comments (17)
    Rabbits! They ate my newly planted eggplant and I think they ate a tomato plant. Although that would be odd, they usually don't bother the tomatoes. I'm not sure how they're getting in anymore since I reinforced the fence this spring. I've filled in the holes under the fence when I've seen them, but they would have had to have gotten in last night since I only planted the eggplant yesterday.
    ...See More

Plse Add your Location next to your Zone

Q

Comments (9)
    Mindy has voiced her frustration about this issue on more than one occasion and l believe she has a valid point. I do think however that her frustration may be misdirected I think it should be addressed to Garden Web powers that be directly, after all the fix is so easy if when a new member is completing their profile for the first time zone and region was mandatory this would not be an issue. Mindy I would suggest you contact GW and make that suggestion or write a post giving members instructions on how they can add their zone and region feel free to edit for clarity what I have written below. If you are a woman with a mission you might post those instructions on each and every forum, or at least those you spend time at. Katy At the very bottom of this page in the green bar select Member Services This will open GardenWeb Members page, select If you are a member already, please log in! (note that you may need to do this even if you are already logged in) This will open your Members page, select Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences (note you will be asked to log in againÂwhat can I say itÂs GardenWeb) you will now be able to edit your member profile. Below gender you can add your Garden Zone and region (mine for example is z7aMA.) If you do not know what your zone is now would be a good time for you to find out and GW makes this easy by providing a link Find Your Zone enter your zip code and wala GardenWeb will tell you what your zone isÂ
    ...See More

There's nothing more fun than growing your own Avocado Tree!

Q

Comments (5)
    I love this kind of supermarket gardening! Others I have tried with success--as long as your local grocery story supplies the produce: mango (easy) sugar cane (even easier) dates (pits need bottom heat to hasten germination) loquat "Eriobotra japonica"(fruit can be found around June in more gourmet/specialty produce markets--at least here) Guava (mine has flowered and fruited in a container) Ginger (easy) Taro and related tropical tubers ("Elephant ears"; easy) coconut (you need an unhusked, fresh coconut, sandy soil, heat and patience--can take up to 6 months just to germinate) And many others.. Happy shopping!
    ...See More

HAVE: Free Passiflora unrooted cuttings--please add yours

Q

Comments (4)
    My cuttings have found homes. I just wanted to direct people to a fantastic set of directions I stumbled across for sending cuttings and plants in the mail. From Ian Webb's site. Here is a link that might be useful: Ian Webb's Posting Details
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

Well, this is a very, very old one. It was one of those "afterglow moments", if you get what I am saying. ;) I was laying in his arms and I said to him, "If I died, what would you remember most about me?" Without a moment's hesitation, he said, "Well, you were a good cook." And truth be told, that probably would be what he would miss the most about me. Not what I was hoping to hear at the time. :)

lgmd_gaz thanked marilyn_c
  • ladypat1
    5 years ago

For me, the last little sigh of each of my dogs as we settle down for the night. Contented and safe.

lgmd_gaz thanked ladypat1
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

Visiting son, when grandson was around 3ish.

One morning, grandson crawled in bed with me, onto my chest, and looked me right in the eyes and said "Grandmother, will you be my friend?"

My melting point! :o(

lgmd_gaz thanked glenda_al
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

My DH does very little in the kitchen, unless I specifically ask for help. One day a couple of weeks ago, I had a heavy day at work (I work in lawn care.) I was tired, sweaty, hungry and needed a shower. Then I got stuck in a road closure and took 2X the amount of time to get home. I didn't let him know where I was, as I was concentrating on traffic.

I had commented that I might make crock pot lasagna, but I didn't get around to it. So I was thinking I'd probably throw together a pot of spaghetti, that was all I could muster.

When I walked in the door, DH handed me a plate. The spaghetti was cooked, he had conjured up sauce, and the garlic bread was ready to heat. The wine was opened. He figured that since I was so late, it must have been a bad day, so he figured spaghetti was something he couldn't screw up too bad.

I thanked him about half a dozen times that evening. :)

lgmd_gaz thanked aok27502
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

These are all so sweet!

lgmd_gaz thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

Marilyn, you’re a hoot!

lgmd_gaz thanked sjerin
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Standing around talking at a party with a group of people including our 15 yr old son when said son gently moved me slightly aside as I was gabbing. I was kind of confused but oh so touched when he pointed to a little hole in the ground and said he didn’t want me to fall. Also, separate time when our 17 year old son came into the kitchen to see if I needed any help when he heard me angrily mumbling about the mess our dog just made. Those 2 boys are turning into such kind young men it just warms my heart.

lgmd_gaz thanked thinkdesignlive
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

Oh, another one. Hard to explain, but years ago I took sign language classes. One of the little things was a sort of slang gesture with the thumb, index and pinkie fingers extended and the other two folded down. It was a combination of the I, L and Y, and meant I love you. \ l i i /

DH and I used to scrawl that on notes and such, but I had forgotten about it. The other day, he was power washing the driveway. He only did part, and he washed a ILY into my parking space. Awwwww.

lgmd_gaz thanked aok27502
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

Charlotte and I went out to:

Mine is on the right. ;)

That was our morning sweet something... we had to get out of the house. She is off today, because of Veteransday. Just got back home... we went out again, on foot again, this time went shopping at Burlington and Sprouts. Just needed some fresh air, to clear our heads.

lgmd_gaz thanked OklaMoni
  • Janie
    5 years ago

This is the sweetest thread! The first thing that comes to my mind is not about me, but a memory of my parents. I was a teenager coming home from my job in the supermarket after school. It was late December and dark and cold. As I came into our dead end street, I saw that the house was dark and the outside light not on (very odd). As I got up the front steps I could see that the kitchen light was on but the rest of the house still dark. When I got inside, I saw that my parents were baking Christmas cookies together and they just were so busy that they hadn't noticed that the rest of the house was dark. I'll just never forget that warm/sweet/cozy feeling and looking into their light from the dark living room.

lgmd_gaz thanked Janie
  • two25acres
    5 years ago

A couple of weeks ago we bought a small table and couple of chairs for out dinette. Up until then we had been using my mothers table and chairs as she insisted when she moved in. Not my style and I tried to cover it with table cloths and placement when I could. Mom moved out and we finally got to decorate our home the way we wanted it. Hubby was going on a week long charter to DC and NYC, the boxes were in the garage, the table and chairs had to be assembled. He knew I really wanted to see them up but he had to leave so I resigned myself to them sitting in the garage till now. While I was working he brought all the boxes in and assembled everything by himself. No simple task, much of it was a 2 person job. Bless his heart, he had it finished for me and I was able to enjoy it while he was gone. We had our first meal at the table last night. Love him.

lgmd_gaz thanked two25acres
  • satine_gw
    5 years ago

My mom had dementia and was at a low point. I lived 5 hours away so didn't get to see her often. It was my birthday and my Dad called me and said"hold on just a minute" and the next thing I heard was my Mom singing Happy Birthday to me. I will remember that until the day I die.

lgmd_gaz thanked satine_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

When my DGD was small, we had a couple of goodbye terms we used instead of an actual ‘goodbye’. One from me to her was ‘Be Particular’. As she grew older I hadn’t really used it in a long time. When we helped move her into her college dorm in August, I hugged her, told her I loved her and was so proud of her and said I really didn’t know what else to say. She said, how about ‘Be particular?’ I nearly lost it then. But I did say it and laughed.

lgmd_gaz thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    5 years ago

We each have our own favorite spots to sit. DH has his recliner, I have the corner of the sectional sofa and Ellie has her little bed. Every evening before the tv goes on, DH and Ellie like to take a short nap and I’m serenaded by their snoring while I crochet. It’s one of my favorite times of the day.

lgmd_gaz thanked User
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

Satine reminded me of this one: My father had suffered a stroke which affected his cognition 9 months before my 50th birthday. We were having a nice conversation on my birthday when he asked how old I was. When I replied that I was 50, he responded, "Wow, you're old." Then he sang his usual happy birthday to yooou. I replay that conversation and songfest over and over in my head and heart.

Here is one from my husband. On the drive to the hospital to deliver our first, he turned to me and said that he had heard that newborns are funny looking, so we should not be disappointed. Turns out she was beautiful and still is.

lgmd_gaz thanked happy2b…gw
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Hearing my late husband on the answering machine if I was out. He’d always start by saying, “This is your darling husband...”. Oh, how I wish I had saved that last message! I can still hear his sweet voice in my head after over 13 years, but I wish I could hear it again with my ears.

lgmd_gaz thanked Anglophilia
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

I do the sweet nothings around here. I will buy him "I love you" cards,cook everything in heart shapes, and leave little notes. He just doesn't think to do things like that. He will buy small things here and there that catch his eye that he knows I will like. I collect hearts and my favorite color is pink,so it's usually one or the other. But that hasn't happened in a couple years at least.

However,I will brag that I get a back/shoulder rub every single day. Sometimes more than one.

Also,when we moved to our new house,he told me that he would buy whatever Christmas decorations I wanted but he wasn't gonna help me put them up or take them down. I was okay with that. He got me a 20 foot tall inflatable snowman,as i requested. Well, i had not gotten around to putting it up. Last year,after Alabama lost the Iron Bowl,he must have known I was gonna be ticked off and disappointed. So when I got home from work the following morning,I turned into the driveway,and there was not only my giant snowman,but some sort of projector thing that projected christmas pictures on the house. He went out and bought it after the game to make me feel better. I was so touched,especially since he has a touch of the fuddy duddy about him and doesn't really get excited for holidays like I do.

lgmd_gaz thanked amylou321
  • provogal
    5 years ago

Oh you all! I could only wish.

lgmd_gaz thanked provogal
  • lgmd_gaz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Loving all your stories!

Anglophilla, your post reminded me of an answering machine message that we often got from our daughter. She had witnessed DH and I when checking for any calls that may have come in while we were out saying jokingly, "well, I guess nobody cares" when there were none. So anytime she knew that we weren't home she would call and leave the message, "I just called to tell you that somebody cares". It has been 12 years since her passing, I sure miss her caring calls.

Oh, and another one. The little 5 year old girl next door, kept trying to get away from the smoke from the fire of leaves we were watching. I told her to come stand by me, "'cause you are beautiful, and the smoke likes to follow beauty. Since I am not beautiful, the smoke won't come by me". She came over to me and looked up at me with her big brown eyes and said, "but Margaret, you are beautiful to me". She is 13 now and as sweet as ever.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

DH one year brought me Baskin Robins ice cream and gave me a check he had written to me for One Million dollars. Of course, it was signed by the Easter Bunny.

I don't think I appreciate him as much as I should.

lgmd_gaz thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • weezel
    5 years ago

A few months ago my daughter was talking to her husband who is a deployed Marine via FaceTime. They are newly married and they were discussing how many children they'd like to have. He said he wanted 3 boys and no girls. She replied that she had to have a daughter so that they could be best friends like her and I. This melted my heart!

lgmd_gaz thanked weezel
  • User
    5 years ago

"Grandma, you are the very best grandma ever" said yesterday by Parker Noelle who will be three on the 18th and will be here for her birthday. Lord that child has my heart!

lgmd_gaz thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

It's amazing how those little things can have such a standout impact from the rest of our routine.

Oh so long ago when I was a young teen, walking home from the bus stop, a certain fall scene by the pond was so spectacular centered with a really red maple, surrounded by other colorful trees. It took my breath away.

I went home and saw my mom inside doing her usual rushing to get housework done, start dinner, etc. etc. And I said, "Mom, stop what you're doing and come with me." She said, "I can't. I have too much to do." I insisted, and she finally relented. I refused to tell her where we were going. We walked outside up the street a bit and when I got to the spot, had her turn around and see the view.

I'm not sure which I enjoyed more...having her stop to 'smell the roses' then or when I heard her retell the story to a friend dozens of years later.

lgmd_gaz thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

I used to visit a small zoo with my youngest GS a lot. When he was about 4, and we

were on our way, he said, "Ganna...when we get old, can we still come and visit the

animals?" In his mind...he and I were about the same age and getting old together

and he didn't want "us" to outgrow the Zoo fun. :) Makes me smile...but with a

tear in my eye.

lgmd_gaz thanked Uptown Gal
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

Love all these stories! Great way to start my day. : )

When my dh and I were dating he took the cardboard back off a rectangle style notepad and wrote in big letters I LOVE YOU and hid it in my bathroom. It put such a smile on my face! So I then took it with me to his house and hid it for him.

The cardboard is pretty ratty now, but we still hide it for each other.

lgmd_gaz thanked share_oh
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

We keep this vignette on our piano to remind us of that day. DH and I were walking on the water's edge of a long and beautiful stretch of beach. We were talking about a family member who tragically died at 27 and we were feeling very sad. There were comments of "if only" and "I could have". I looked down and found the heart and showed it to my DH and said look "the universe is sending us some comfort." The, as you can see from above, just moments later we found the piece of wood with the words. It all came together for us in a huge rush of emotion that this was a clear message of love from the one who was gone, but wanted us to know his journey was ongoing and happy.

lgmd_gaz thanked dragonflywings42
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Son and I are huge movie fans. Love them! I had a hard year August 2017- August 2018 with my mom, son going away to school and very mid-life crisis. We were talking about him going off to school and I said something to the effect of how exciting it all will be for him, clean slate, fresh start, interesting things to see and do! somehow it got back around to me and I said, I've already hit the climax of my life, what's left, the end? He said, heck no! That's the best part of the movie-when the resolution comes. Such peace I had after that. He was right. He's always right.

lgmd_gaz thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

Another one I still recall about my sweet DH. We had been married a couple of years or so, and I had a terrible nightmare that so scared me, I woke him and asked him to hold me. He did. I then apologized for disturbing him for such a foolish thing and he replied, "Nonsense. How could I ever be upset when it's you that's waking me."

lgmd_gaz thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • caflowerluver
    5 years ago

My adult son, who has Autism, always starts the day by giving me a big hug and saying "I love you." I started that when he was very young and he has continued it. He loves to go grocery shopping and always wants to buy me something like a candy bar, bakery cookie or brownie and instists on paying with his own money. He knows I love sweets. Good thing we only go once a week, don't need the extra calories. It is funny how it is the little things that mean so much.

lgmd_gaz thanked caflowerluver
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

What a wise son you have, Rob! I'm sorry I didn't know you were going through a rough time. Sometimes I do go through the 'what now' feelings, since my kiddos are grown and gone, but I know there is more...

What sweet stories these are! I know I have some in my mind somewhere, but I've always been plagued by a lousy memory.

lgmd_gaz thanked sjerin
  • User
    5 years ago

These stories are so special. I’ve really enjoyed reading all of them.

A few years ago, my DD gave me a set of refrigerator magnets that are shaped like quote balloons and you can write notes on. I put them on the back door which is steel and put an I love you message so DH would see it every day as he was leaving for work. They stayed like that until a couple of months ago when I guess he decided to post a response.

lgmd_gaz thanked User
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Awwwww, you guys! Such sweet stories about how important the simple things in life are.

lgmd_gaz thanked DawnInCal
  • sealavender
    5 years ago

I was in a cosmetics store this weekend and became overwhelmed looking at eyebrow products. I've noticed that mine need help, but there was just too much choice. Today, perched on my glasses, the parakeet groomed them for me.

lgmd_gaz thanked sealavender
  • lgmd_gaz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, such heart warming stories of little things that stay with us, that we will draw upon for years of small comforts. All of the posts here had that four letter word in them. LOVE

• natesg
    5 years ago

My DH and I had a bet and the loser was to give a backrub before we slept. Luckily I won. That was over 3 years ago and he is sill giving me a nightly backrub and doesn’t want one in return.

Also DH always wants to hold my hand while we fall asleep I know how lucky I am

lgmd_gaz thanked natesg