SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I'm worried about Jeri in Ventura County

There are two wildfires there, and at least one is spreading towards the coast, and I believe Jeri is not too far from the ocean. I hope she and Clay along with their sweet dogs are safe. I hope someone can find out if they're okay. I believe Kim (roseseek) might be in touch with them. This is such a terrible time again, with the high Santa Ana winds making it even more dangerous.

Comments (44)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    I wrote Jeri an email on Wed . She always responses to me quickly. So, yesterday, I waited to hear from her very eagerly. She did not respond which is not her style.
    I have no idea there is a fire in CA. I learned that from Kim about it.
    Ingrid, I am glad you are okay. I know Lisa is okay Bec we we're texting each othe yesterdayr around 7ish pm my time.
    Oh dear ! I hope our friends are all right. Thinking of them and prayers for everyone .
    Prayers to those who lost their lives in fire . This is so sad and very disturbing.
    Jeri , Clay and their beautiful dogs pls be safe.
    How is Ann ? I know a number of you guys are in CA but I can't remember who ? Pls be safe !!

jin
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Ingrid, I hope you are safe. Be careful of the smoke and all. pls keep us updated. How is over there where you are at ? Heard there is an evacuation there too.
    jin
  • Related Discussions

I'm worried about our friends in California !!

Q

Comments (79)
    Hi folks...I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. We got back last Friday, and there was a TON of work waiting for me, garden and desk work. I have been very busy. No excuse. We were spared. The firemen were great. They even used this place as a 'base' of sorts one of the nights. What great men. It was ashy here, but I cannot complain. The deer have not been touching the roses (Liquid Fence, yay!) and we all returned to the best fall flush I have ever had. Thanks to all of you who have been so wonderful through all of this. Please keep in touch with e-mails too, it's great to hear from you. Amazing when you consider this thread has gone from all across the bottom 48 to England and Denmark and Italy. God bless you all! Jerome
    ...See More

worried about rose mosaic virus (RMV)

Q

Comments (25)
    This April 2009 "University of Georgia Agricultural Extension article" is of interest because it does NOT mention the confusing, misleading term "RMV" and DOES mention spread by prunning and insects: "Viral Diseases There are several viral diseases of roses. Most of these maladies are transmitted to non-infected plants through vegetative propagation processes used by commercial rose producers or through pruning. There is some evidence that at least two of these viral diseases are transmitted to other plants by insects or spider mites. Viral infected roses tend to be less vigorous, are more susceptible to other diseases, and are less likely to tolerate environmental stresses as healthy plants do. There are at least six known viral diseases of roses. Yellow and green mosaic patterns, leaf distortion and ring spots are possible symptoms of virus infections. (Figure 12) Others that exhibit viral-like symptoms have not been linked to a particular virus. It is not unusual to encounter plants infected with more than one virus. Also, such occurrences usually cause problems in positive identification. Some chemical toxicities and nutrient deficiencies express symptoms similar to those caused by viral diseases. Removing severely infected plants may be the only solution. Preventive measures to prohibit the spread of viruses include disinfecting pruning shears when moving from one plant to another, and a good insect control program is a must. Also, buy plants that are apparently healthy and exhibit no peculiar foliar symptoms (Figure 13)." ----------------------------------------------------- The 2010 University of California Davis -Ventura County extension article on rose virus also does not use the term "RMV" and also discusses pruning as a means of spread: http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/Coastal_Gardener/Rose_Virus.htm Here is a link that might be useful: U. of Georgia article
    ...See More

Planting Different Fruit trees--worried about Soil pH

Q

Comments (6)
    What about our hard water? I've read some other posts where people hand-water their plants with vinegar-spiked water. I was kind of thinking of taking some fat (wide) 15 gallon tubs, cutting out the bottoms, and using those to plant the blueberries inground. That way, they would be somewhat isolated and I could treat their soil more locally (iron sulfate, elemental surful, peat, and some of the other amendments that people have mentioned in other posts). Maybe it would be easier to keep their immediate environment more acidic if I was treating a smaller area? How does that sound? Do you think doing that buys me anything? I don't know what I could do about watering though... seems the hard water would be fighting my attempts with the soil...
    ...See More

Worried about small town politcs and

Q

Comments (6)
    "But - the advice to contact a realtor, its not that simple - The ones from farther away won't understand the market at all. Same with appraisers." I'd take my chances and see what an objective appraiser says anyway. At least you will have a ball park price to start with. List with a non local agent for three months. Tell them if you are unable to get your asking price that you plan to rent the house until the market picks up again. Offer the agent a bonus for every amount over the asking price ($1k ?) he/she can get. Hard nosed negotiators? Let the REA agent deal with them, thats what they are being paid to do. Just my opinion! Good luck.
    ...See More
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I hope everyone is ok. I didn't know ya'll were having wildfires!? Prayers for you all!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Alana8aSC
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

jin - Thanks for your concern! We are fine for now. We live about 125 miles from the town of Paradise (pop. 27,000) which burned down yesterday after just a few hours. We are smelling smoke in our house, even though we have all windows and doors closed. There is so much smoke in the air that people are smelling it San Francisco which is about 40 miles away from me. I'm definitely worried about Beth because I think she lives near Chico which is only about 15 miles Paradise.

We were warned about high winds and high fire danger a few days ago. Wildfires are now something we have to worry about all year. Last year we had to evacuate during the Napa Atlas Fire which was only three miles away. That fire took 2000 firefighters to put out and it was only one of three similar fires that were burning in the wine country during similar conditions to what we're experiencing now.

Ann

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Watching the morning news this morning and seeing the devastation is heartbreaking , so much loss, again.

My prayers for Paradise and all of those affected by this fire.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I know! I can hardly stand to watch the news, yet can’t stop myself. I hope Jeri is safe. Surprisingly, our forecast has been for high winds, yet it’s calm outside. Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Take care to you as well

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Thanks, Kristine. I hope Ann continues to stay safe, and I’m really worried for everyone in the fire areas. It’s just SO scary! Every time a Santa Ana comes through, we all wonder where the next fire will be. We no longer wonder IF there will be a fire, just WHERE it will hit this time. There’s some despicable people out there, lighting fires. They are just waiting for the “right” conditions. I’m not saying they’re all started by these sickos, but plenty are. Shame on them! I’m really worried about everyone. The winds are supposed to die down after tonight, but another Santa Ana is forecast to come in on Monday. It’s a scary time of year. If anyone hears from anyone, please keep us updated. Lisa

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to those effected by wildfires!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Here's a map of where my son's family lives. They have been up all night, ready to leave, but are still at home this morning. The pics of fires he sent are devastating, and so close. I'm not sure why they're still in their house, but he's staying abreast of what they're told to do. Their home is where the arrow is pointing.

I am relieved to hear this morning that Ingrid lives in San Diego county, not Thousand Oaks, Ventura county, like I thought she did.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Goodness, flowers, you must be beside yourselves.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeri, I am so glad you're all safe. I hope that continues to be the case since these fires are so unpredictable, especially with the high winds, and Malibu is also now being evacuated. There is now a fire in Los Angeles by Griffith Park, where there is a zoo. I just read that they've evacuated the birds they use in the shows and some of the monkeys, perhaps because they're more susceptible to smoke, and the rest of the animals and staff are staying, with their many sprinklers going, and the L.A. Fire Department on site. Once again, my greatest admiration and respect for these brave men and women who fight to keep us safe, and sadly sometimes lose their own lives in the process. It's difficult to even imagine the horrific conditions they endure, and how much they suffer in the heat and smoke with their heavy fire gear, working so hard hour after hour, day after day. I cannot say enough about them.

I'm grateful there are no fires where Lisa and I are, but we take nothing for granted. Unfortunately we are all at the mercy of unthinking or criminal people who are responsible for so many of these fires.

5 years ago
    Flowers, you must be worried as a mom. Your son is following orders and I am very sure at first sign he will evaluate. Keep us posted.

Ann, I am glad you are far away . That is good to know. This is crazy how fire started again.

Jeri, I am glad you guys are ok. I went back to look at my emails then realized I send you a tree mail at garden. org. I was giving you my great news not realizing something went horribly wrong in CA.

Ingrid, I thought the same thing about Thousand oaks as Flowers mentioned. Good to know it is San Diego county.
    I have not seen the news as I got home after work to read this thread and Beth's. will be watching soon.

jin
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Glad you guys are all Ok! How is Kim? Hopefully he is Ok too.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Glad to hear from everyone. I remember how frightening it was when we lived in OC. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone facing the fires and smoke. Keep us posted.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Jackie is far away from there, right?

• jerijen
    5 years ago

Kim is WAY away from it.

And to give you an idea . . . Malibu is on the other side of my hills and a bit further South . . . Going up in smoke.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jerijen
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks Jeri. Glad to hear that. Hope the terrible fire disappear soon. It must be hard to breath in the heavy smoke near the fire zone, hopefully everyone got out in time.

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

My inlaws are evacuated, this one is really scary :(

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Amanda, I hope their house is away from the fire. It must be tough to pack in a short time frame. I wouldn’t know what to do.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Thank you all for updating us. Amanda and flowers, I hope you, your sons and your in-laws stay safe. It's hard to comprehend the footage we're seeing.... it's just incredible. I can't fathom what sort of person would voluntarily cause such damage.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm glad you're that far removed from the fire, Jeri. It's not clear to me where Kim is. I hope he's okay. It's a nightmarish situation. We need rain desperately but none in sight.

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Summers, it is right now but I think they're trying to keep everyone safe because it's not that easy to get out of the hills. Thank you vaporvac, yeah i think this one was accidental but dumb (a campfire), at least that's what I heard.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Thinking of all of you in California who are facing these terrible fires, or with family in affected areas. Bushfires (as we call them) are a regular occurrence for us too of course and can be devastating, so we feel perhaps an especial sympathy for others going through this. We hear the basics of the situation on the news here, but not the details. So good to hear Ingrid, Jeri, Lisa and all are OK, for now anyway. Please stay safe. Isn't Kim in Escondido? Or was that his former home?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • ozmelodye
    5 years ago

Thoughts and prayers for all. Melodye

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ozmelodye
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

Jeri, so glad you are safe, although it sounds as if you are between the two fires - must be nervous making. We are 200 miles South West of the Camp fire which as of last night had burned up 6,000 homes in Paradise and other places, but the smoke is here very badly. Yesterday it was a crystal clear, blue sky morning, but by noon the entire sky, in all directions, was full of smoke. I thought it must be local until I realized it was everywhere. Some sort of weird wind pattern is blowing most of the smoke from that now huge fire all over the SF Bay Area. I can't smell it in my house, but I can if I go outdoors.

The TV said that yesterday, when that fire "exploded", it was burning 80 football fields of land A MINUTE. I can't imagine that, although I do believe it.

Good news is that our long range weather forecast last night said their might be rain coming in the next 10 days - that is the only thing which will really help.

Most of these fires, and the Camp fire for sure, were started not by evil people, but by up here PG&E (electrical utility) long range electric transmission lines. In these very very high wind conditions they blow against trees in the wild areas of forest they go through, and that's it. PG&E has even decided to turn off the power in certain areas as a precaution when these hot, dry, incredibly windy conditions prevail. They have only done that once, but they are muttering about it now.

Jackie

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

“80 football fields a minute”! I can’t even imagine how firefighters would deal with that sort of fire! No wonder there have been so many deaths. The fire could be a good distance away, and within 20 minutes be in your backyard. I feel just terrible for everyone affected. Those words sound so inadequate in the face of such devastation.

Ananda, I’m glad your in-laws are safely evacuated, and sincerely hope they have a home to return to.

Flowers, any updates on your son and his family? That map looks mighty scary to me. Supposedly the winds have died down overnight. Ours certainly have, even though they weren’t as strong as predicted. We’re gearing up for another Santa Ana on Monday.

Comtess, how good to hear from you, even though these are sad circumstances. Kim lives in Santa Maria, and I believe he used to live in Encino. The only reason I know his former residence wasn’t in Escondido, is because Escondido is the single city between Ingrid and me. I’d be lamenting the fact that I didn’t know him back then, if he had lived in Escondido. That’s the only reason I’m sure about it.

I haven’t yet checked the “Has anyone heard from BethNorCal” thread this morning. I SO hope she’s alright. I would imagine posting would be difficult for her(Internet access) and/or the last thing on her mind right now. I hope she and her husband got out with their pets.

I know first hand how difficult it is to evacuate at a moments notice. It IS hard to think clearly in those few moments. Later, I realized how ridiculous the things I threw in the car were, and couldn’t believe the things I’d forgotten. Everything turned out fine, but what an eye opener!

I strongly suggest that everyone living in an area that could be evacuated for any “act of nature”, make a plan ahead of time. Keep important papers and pictures together in a container that can be grabbed and thrown in the car. Make sure you have carriers/ portable kennels for your pets. Pets often panic and hide in these situations. Have a plan in place BEFORE you need it, and arrange a meeting place, or designate a person OUT of your area to be a “contact” person. Write down some phone numbers and put them in your wallet and vehicle. You’d be surprised how many of us don’t know people’s phone numbers anymore. We press a single button and the call goes through, no need to dial. If you don’t have your mobile phone, or it’s dead, you may not know anyone’s number.

I just feel so helpless in the face of all this, that the above suggestions make me feel like I’m doing some small thing. Please be safe, and keep us posted. Lisa

• jerijen
    5 years ago

Hey Lisa! I was born in Escondido! Small world (though it was a far different place then, than it is now).

Hey Jackie -- I don't know what started the two fires down here. I just hope they weren't deliberately set.

As the wind changed, conditions here have changed mightily.

Last night:

Early this morning:

Mid-morning:

Midday -- The wind has turned, and is coming from Due South:

Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeri, I had no idea you hailed from these parts. We live in a small community six miles from Escondido and I've worked in Escondido for many years. Small world. Your picture of the night sky certainly brings back memories.

Comtesse, thank you for your concern and good wishes. Australia is certainly no stranger to catastrophic brush fires, although I suppose most areas where that occurs are not as heavily populated as California, except of course for the animals. Fires are especially horrific for them since they can't get away quickly. I find it rather sad that people only seem to count the human cost, or at most their pets.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Thank you all for caring about my CA family. As of this morning, everyone is exhausted but getting back to normal. My heart goes out to any of you who were in harm's way or have family there and the worry in being helpless to do anything.

Lisa is so right in her suggestions in having a plan for emergencies like this. I often think about not knowing any telephone numbers and how hard - impossible? it would be to quickly get in touch with people I care about without my phone. We had a plan and did all those things when we lived in the foothills in CA, and I'm sure my kids still do.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

Ingrid, my family left Escondido when I was yet a baby, and I'm sure the old farmhouse where they lived is long-gone. But my mother grew up there when THE local cop caught her speeding on High School Hill and told her to slow down or he would tell her mother.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Flowers, I’m so glad to hear that your family is alright. It’s also comforting to hear(on the other thread) that Beth is safely in a hotel with her husband and pets.

Jeri, I had no idea you were born in Escondido! So was I! I was born in Palomar Hospital on Valley Parkway. Escondido was THE place to shop for everything when I was a child. It had the only grocery store, “Food Basket”, and a smaller grocery store, Rube Nelson’s. I loved going to Rube Nelson’s and seeing the GIANT farm animals on the roof outside the store. We shopped at “Walker Scott, Sears, and Woolworth’s. What a tiny town Escondido was, back then! It IS a small world....

One more suggestion in case of evacuation and natural disasters. Please have your pets microchipped! I don’t remember the exact number, but after hurricane Katrina, a huge number of pets couldn’t be reunited with their families. The pets that had been microchipped could be identified. Many of the rest, never saw their families again.

Again, we’re thinking of all affected by these fires. Thank you to all those wonderful firefighters! Lisa

Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeri, I wish Escondido were still the small town your mom knew as a teenager. What a different world we live in now, and in my view not a better one.

The fatalities keep going up and it's horrendous, with no end in sight. I can't bear to turn on the TV. Please stay safe Jeri, along with Clay and your doggies.

• suncoastflowers
    5 years ago

I'm thinking of you all in CA. I hope the conditions improve and that gives the firefighters an advantage.

Stay safe y'all!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked suncoastflowers
  • jerijen
    5 years ago

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

To sum it up, there are three huge fires in California right now (along with some smaller ones that are not causing such concern at this time). Two are near Los Angeles and Ventura County. Jeri described them for us. (So very glad you are safe, Jeri!) One of those is just down the road from the dance hall/bar in Thousand Oaks were the mass shooting took place just days ago. I thought of Jim Delahanty who lived in Thousand Oaks, and how grieved he would have been at the recent events. Over 200,000 people have been evacuated from that area, and apparently there have been 2 deaths.

The third fire is the Camp Fire in Butte County that destroyed the town of Paradise, CA in under 24 hours. At the current count 23 people died there. If you look on a map, it is located near Chico, and north of Sacramento. It is now 20% contained, but predictions are that unless we get rain, it will burn for the rest of the month. At this point, more houses have burned in this fire than in any other wildfire in California's history, even more than last year's fire in Santa Rosa. If you add in the evacuations there (a more rural part of the state), we are up to a quarter of a million displaced people.

We have not yet had any rain in most of the state, and rain is what we need. We will be in dangerous fire conditions until the winter rains start.

Here in the Bay Area we have smoky, polluted air, dangerous for babies (there is one in our house) and people with certain medical conditions, but compared to what is going on elsewhere, we are very lucky indeed.

Counting our blessings as Thanksgiving Day approaches, and wishing the best for all.

5 years ago
    Beth just wrote I paste it on Kim's thread. Pls look at Kim's post .
    My heart just broke reading what she wrote .
    wait let me see if I can paste it here too.
    https://garden.org/thread/go/98561/
    If this did not work try on Kim's thread.
    jin
    5 years ago
    Jeri, the last pic is unbelievable. It took me a while to guess what I am seeing.
    First, I thought it was a cat Bec of head and ears than I realized it is a hand. I barely make out the features of the fireman's helmet.

what a pic !

jin
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

Re evacuation recommendations, luckily most folks in California have "go bags", and plans for uniting families, etc. because of the constantly emphasized threat of catastrophic earthquakes. Now wild fires are evidently much more likely, it seems. I am considering how to tweak our "earthquake plans" to take that into consideration. Two main problems I see are that: 1) no matter how you handle the growth of trees, etc. on your property, a true wild/firestorm will burn everything from radiant heat from pretty far away, no matter how well your bushes are pruned. The other, in any place with a lot of people, is that the roads become grid locked pretty fast, making driving away problematic. It reminds me of when I was in first and second grade (a LONG time ago in the mid 1950s), and the schools all were having nuclear bomb threat drills (which involved hiding under your desk, and then being sent home!), and I was eyeing the creek in our back yard, which was lower than the rest of the property. Not good memories.

Jackie

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

Last year shortly before the Santa Rosa fire made our place more fire-hardy by removing trees close to the house and replacing wood-based mulch with stone mulch within 8-10 feet of the house. It is also important to keep gutters clean and not to have a wood shingle roof, which amazingly some people still do. Our house had one when we first moved here, but we replaced it long ago. All this will help keep a house from igniting from wind-borne sparks, which is a major cause of houses burning. You can tell that is what happened when you see houses burned the ground but other houses nearby left untouched. However it won't help at all in a situation like the one in Paradise, where a wall of flame moves through destroying everything in its path. You can only do so much, and you should do what you can.

Knowing what you will take (in our case the baby, the dogs, the wallets, the phones and the laptop) and knowing more than one route out, and leaving before it is a crisis if you have a chance, will all improve your chances of survival and recovery afterwards. And it's a good idea to have a designated meetup place if there is more than one car, just in case cell phones go out. That last is something we have not done ourselves, and should consider.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Great advice here from everyone. Not sure what government/ fire department systems you have in place there for communication with the public during emergencies, but another thing we're advised to keep in our evacuation/survival kits here in Oz, that you may want to consider, is a good radio with fresh batteries and spares.

This is for when phone and internet networks go out, to be able to continue to receive updates on orders, alerts and current hazard locations via local/community radio stations. This can be life saving, if you have a similar system of local radio public announcements there.

Jeri, absolutely brilliant, newsworthy photograph - BUT that smoke is truly worrying - I am VERY concerned for you if this is near you. Please keep us updated, as far as you're able. We all care so much.

• jerijen
    5 years ago

I should note that I can't take credit for that image. That's too bad, because it is so evocative.

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

Just saying - we went out today and bought a couple of HEPA rated room air cleaners. Residents of our house range from 4 week to 80 years, all of us healthy, and we want all to stay that way! Our smoke is nowhere near as bad as the smoke in the picture Jeri shared, and it is improving a little each day. Still, it is bad enough that we thought this was a good idea.