SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophia_elizabeth8

staghorn fern soil/medium questions

Sophia Elizabeth
5 years ago
Hey all! I just ordered my first “French staghorn fern”. I’ve done some reading up on them and how they grow in their natural environment. The general consensus is to mount it in sphagnum moss and hang it. I really would prefer to put it in a regular pot, instead of mounting it.... at least for right now. With the way my apartment space is set up, if I was to hang it on one of my walls I think it would get way too much shade based on how the sun generally hits them.

Anyways- I read that you shouldn’t pot it in regular soil since naturally it doesn’t grow that way since it’s an ephyphite (sp?)

Here’s a recipe I found for planting medium:

1/2c succulent cacti soil
1/2c orchid bark
1/3c compost
1/3c coco coir

I’m attaching photos... let me know if these items would work and if I should get the composted Douglass fir bark or the regular bark (is there even a difference?) and if I get the composted bark, does that mean I don’t have to buy the worm castings or should I get both? Also, should I do sphagnam moss or the coco coir... and could I skip those and JUST do soil, bark, worm castings or does there need to be the moss/coco coir in there?

Ugh so many questions I know lol I’m sorry! And thanks in advance.

Any help/advice on how I should plant this thing is welcome! I want to buy the ingredients as cheap as possible since I’ll really only need them for this one plant!

Comments (13)