SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbrfd

Overall design - in particular d.r. fixture

cbrfd
5 years ago

This is the third time I'm trying to post my design dilemma without any luck, so hopefully third time is the charm. Perhaps I was trying to post too many photos, so will break them down in a few posts.

We moved into our retirement home recently and love having an open concept space, but picking out light fixtures has been a bit of a challenge for me. Fell in love with the island lanterns and had three installed over our 9 1/2 ft. island. The dining room fixture was existing when we purchased the house and I would like to replace it. The sideboard lamps can be switched out (although I adore them and have had them over 30 years). Although we get quite a bit of natural light with the dark furniture, dark floors and dark counter tops the rooms are looking... well dark, lol.... We have an elderly dog and although little accidents are rare we don't want to get a carpet at the moment, which I'm sure will lighten things up. Dining room table is oval, so I feel that the fixture above would need to be roundish rather than rectangular. Our ceiling heights in the kitchen and dining room are 9'. They are 10' in great/living room. I think we could go with a fixture above the table that would be no more than 41" including chain/rod. That would give us 36" from top of table to bottom of fixture. Presently the dining room fixture is 38" above table which is hung a little high, but I guess this had to be done because of the length of the rod.

DH did not want the tv mounted over the fireplace, so this was the best we could do. I will try to find a piece of art a little larger than the existing one on the opposite side of the fireplace to balance out the tv. Here is an overall look of the rooms. Cannot put lamps on end tables as there is no electricity and the basement is finished. Also think there would be too many light fixtures in overall look. Would love to get your feedback. As mentioned earlier will post more photos in separate post.

Comments (8)