SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vesfl

What mulch and soil amendments do you use?

Soon I will have to add mulch for winter protection. Besides compost, I've been using shredded pine bark because it eventually decomposes into the soil and serves as a soil amendment. I noticed that shredded cedar mulch is used in quite a few yards in the neighborhood and I'm thinking to perhaps experiment with it this year, but I don't know much about its advantages or disadvantages compared to shredded pine bark. I've been happy with the shredded pine bark for protecting the soil from freezing temperatures and good water retention, but it performs poorly in controlling weeds.

I read some good things about cypress as a mulch for rose beds and bought a couple of bags to try in a small area. Not sure if that was a good idea...

This year I am also considering for the first time to use tons of oak leaves from the neighbors' trees for good (instead of constantly having to spend on hires for fall cleaning) and use them for mulching. I don't know though if these should go on top of the wood bark mulch or underneath. So, whenever thinking about how to improve mulching and soil amendments, I find myself with even more questions and dilemmas ...

Let's share our experiences and ideas, especially for our rose beds. What is your approach to mulching? Does any mulching material works better for you than others? And I hope you'll share if you found any successful method to enrich the soil as well. Thank you.

Comments (25)