SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengems

What to do with these Pleiospilos?

gardengems
5 years ago

My spouse grew these from seeds. At first he did not know their care requirements. Now, he has asked me to divide, repot.... I assume the long stems are from over-watering. You might notice they were recently watered. He told me I could, since he lasted watered in early summer.

My thought is to (not all of them) cut them off their stem. Either putting them in a rooting tray keeping them dry as they make new roots. Then potting. Or, I could go straight to pot, still keeping them dry, until they put down roots. The advantage of the first is, I can monitor the root growth. It also allows me to keep them in a medium (small grade pumice with a smattering of soil) naturally stays dry.

When I do go to put them in a pot, should I use the soil blend I make for must of my succulents or the one I make for Agave, Cactus and other plants wanting more grit. For these guys I would use a smaller grit, even my baby agave get swallowed up with the larger stuff pumice and perlite.

Or when i gently divide them, I pot them with the stems buried? That would be the easiest plan. It works for most succulents. I could go with the first plan for the ones, I will break off by mistake.

How many could I put back into the same 2" pot. In their native range, are they typically found crowded in crevices of rock. In a little colony. Or would they prefer to only have 2-4 in a pot. I thinking I remember there were a lot more of these guys in the begining. I'm not sure if it was overcrowding or over-watering that left only these few. My instinct is they like to be crowded. I have the image of making a hypertuffa pot just for them, if their PH tendencies allow.

Sorry for all the questions. I grow 100+ succulent, mainly to sell. I have two categories for watering, everything else & Cactus. I don't typically grow any succulents that can not adapt to one of those watering schedules. I dont have many Cacti for this very reason. And most are vicious bastards. I do have feeling some of these will end up being mine. Unless I can put many together

Dividing Mimicry (Pleiospilos) plants · More Info

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022