SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snailedit

Lithops Q & Pleiospilos nelii (split rock) rot or sun burn?

Christina M
8 years ago

Hi all, I am new to lithops and such so I don't know much about them. I would very much appreciate some input from more seasoned plant owners (:

So i bought a young pleiospilos nelii about 3 weeks ago, with it's 2nd set of buds already starting to come out. I gave it a few drops about 2 weeks in, and over the weekend, I came back to find it with one side of the plant completely yellow... I had also kept it in direct sunlight, right behind a window (probably was not a good idea).
It has been like this for about a week now, with some of the yellowing spreading onto the new baby leaf. The baby leaf that has the yellowing on it hasn't grown much since, but the side that is okay has grown huge and very firm. I'm afraid it'll explode.

The bottom part of the plant is where I'm worried about rot, since it looks rotten, but I can't be sure. There are no white spots that would usually indicate rot. Not sure what I can do next to care for this plant.

As for my lithops question, I bought a lithops shwantesii yesterday from the local nursery, and I realized that they mightve fed it a lot of fertilizer, since its big, but it hasn't split yet. In the picture, you can see a small little split in the center of the plant, but otherwise, it's just round. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I should be watering it either... Or perhaps fertilizer? Or the good ole leave-it-alone technique.

Comments (12)