Supplemental insurance to Medicare?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
Related Discussions
Supplemental Insurance
Comments (6)You might talk to someone from your insurance company. Allstate does have several programs thru Blue Cross. Depending on what state you live in, you can contact the Insurance Commission for ratings on different plans or companies. If you get a HMO, like Kaiser, you could be better coverage, but it does limit you to a specific area. You can call different indepentent agencies listed in the yellow pages. Most insurance companies will send you information free, and sorry to say, also a salesman to convince you that theirs is the BEST. I would not talk to a the salesperson without someone with you. Most information you can get from the office. Also ask your Dr/medical group which one they honor or prefer. You are smart to start now so you will make a good decision later. Marie...See MoreMedicare Supplements
Comments (3)Thanks a lot stargazer. I was leaning in that direction already because I'm covered right now by BC/BS through my employers plan. Is the overseas part of the plan the only reason you would have chosen the best plan? I'm not much of a traveler. The furtherest I may travel would be an Alaskan cruise, which I am very much interested in. Again, Thanks....See MoreMedicare supplemental insurance
Comments (58)chisue, understand the lesser of two evils. They use prednisone for my disease too. Thankfully, I've never been bad enough to have to use it on a daily basis. I'm allergic to one of the main drugs to treat my disease so if my current drugs really stops working I will have no choice but to take those awful , dangerous and expensive drugs. Hopefully it will never come to that. I have one older brother that did not move to the States when my family moved and so I've really been thinking about how much easier it was for him to retire in Canada. No jumping through all these hoops to figure out how to get his health care needs covered. Emma, what I understand is that they don't have to insure you if you have had a gap in insurance and are outside the 6 month open enrollment. Our situation was a little confusing to these insurers because our medicare part A automatically kicked in at 65 and our B took effect two years later when my husband turned 67. So they carelessly were just looking at the date part A kicked in and assumed we'd had a two year gap in coverage. Some asked if we'd been on cobra. They were asking for proof of insurance until I reminded them that medicare B was just starting and we were within the 6 month open enrollment. The drug plan still said that if I had not been covered they would have raised my premium.Not sure if that is legal under the 6 month open enrollment, but I didn't research it anymore sine it didn't apply to me. In my case, if I went without and then ended up going on one of those $3000 a month drugs and then decided at that time to get part D, no one would be too excited to insure me . And you can bet if one of my drugs was $3000 a month and they agreed to insure me, my premium would be pretty hefty. Our total costs for the two of us are around $480 a month United(AARP) is $116.78 for me, $121.94 for my husband. It is community based which means they can't raise your premium just because you are a year older. It goes up according to your zip code. In my state there were only two options for community based or issue age --the two that can't be raised because you are a year older. All the others were attained age which will go up for each year older you get. Then medicare B is $99.90 for each of us. I'm paying $27 for my part D and my husband picked the cheapest for 15 a month. I didn't figure it was as important to get the perfect plan with drug because it apparently is easy to change at the end of the year if what you picked didn't work out so well. It just seemed to me that there was a real learning curve to getting this all arranged. Dedtired, I'm confused why you would be paying 300 a month for medicare part B or something else?? something doesn't sound right....See MoreAre insurance premiums a write off
Comments (21)I live in Iowa and I found this info on the 2014 tax instructions so I guess as long as a person doesn't use it on the Schedule A which is the itemize deductions form than I can put them on line 18. I never itemize because mortgage has been paid off for several years and Iowa gives us a generous standard deduction amount so works out for us. Thanks for all the input. LINE 18: Health Insurance Deduction. Enter 100% of the amount paid for health and dental insurance premiums. This includes all supplemental health insurance, such as Medicare B supplemental medical insurance and Medicare D voluntary prescription drug insurance program (not âÂÂMedicare tax withheldâ on your W-2), and long-term nursing home coverage. The deduction must be reduced by the amount of any premium reimbursement from Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs). Schedule A may not contain any health insurance premiums which were used as a deduction on line 18. Note: No deduction is available to any individual who paid health insurance premiums on a pretax basis. Health insurance premiums are typically deducted from wages on a pretax basis....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

STORAGEA Guide to Self-Storage: What to Ask Before You Rent
Don’t end up on ‘Storage Wars.’ Before committing to a unit, clarify issues like default, security and insurance
Full Story
FIREPLACESDesign Workshop: Smart Ways to Store Wood Outdoors
Consider size, location, protection, air circulation and, of course, style for storing your firewood
Full Story
LIFEBe Prepared With a Household Inventory
Document your household's contents the efficient way, then let your list help you streamline your belongings
Full Story
LIFERetirement Reinvention: Boomers Plot Their Next Big Move
Choosing a place to settle in for the golden years? You're not alone. Where boomers are going and what it might look like
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESContractor Fees, Demystified
Learn what a contractor’s markups cover — and why they’re worth it
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGWhen Simplifying, Which Papers to Keep and Which to Toss?
Find out which records you can get rid of when you are decluttering or moving to a smaller home
Full Story
MATERIALSInsulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESCan Your Potential Contractor Pass These ‘Dealbreaker’ Tests?
Ask yourself these 5 questions before hiring a remodeler
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGLet’s Clear Up Some Confusion About Solar Panels
Different panel types do different things. If you want solar energy for your home, get the basics here first
Full Story
sushipup1