SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Miscellaneous Grasses from a Saturday Drive

I went traveling to a plant swap and stopped by my friends garden in San Antonio Texas and thought I would share some grasses with y'all. It is such a beautiful time of year .

This combination knocked my socks off as soon as I got out of my car. What an exuberant greeting! Muhlenbergia dumosa ( bamboo Muhley ), a desert gras from the wet canyons of the northern Chihuahua desert (the Big Bend - Southern Arizona). It is combined with a type of Blue Mist Flower , a Conoclinium. There are several varieties that are available in this area of Texas.I don't know which one since they are hard to tell apart.

This is either Muhlenbergia dubia ( pine Muhly ) or a dropseed but prairie dropseed usually does not do that well this far south and in alkaline soil.

I Love his use of the Muhlenbergia lindheimeri sandwiched between his agaves. The muhly is a BIG Big Muhley. They differ so much due to the conditions they grow in. In the wild where I live they are usually much smaller due to shallow soils and constrained moisture.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions