SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teachermom

Our poor bricks! Strip them? Paint them? :-(

Teacher Mom
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We bought our him three years ago and have wanted our 1970’s brick fireplace and wall whitewashed or otherwise lightened/brightened. We also wanted the stained brass surround replaced with something simpler and more country/rustic/farmhouse.

Rather than do the whitewashing myself, I thought it would be best to give such a big (square foot) job to a professional. (Oh, the regret!)

Very unfortunately, the professional proceeded to paint the *entire brick wall dark grey* while I was away from the room with my small children, and then basically painted faux bricks—including adding red paint—over our original brick.

The carpenter she worked with built a massive mantle, with many more elements than we’d specified. We had wanted and specified simple in scale and detail.

I am so unhappy with the result. We ended up sanding some of the bricks down to the original color (see last photo), and I then whitewashed those, and painted the grout lines white, too. (<-thinking this was a mistake!)

We pried off the smallest squares of wood on the mantle, and ended up staining the whole thing a darker color (final pic).

The room is now too gray/washed out and just. . . cold. And I miss the bricks. :( I wanted them brightened, not obliterated.

Should we attempt stripping with something like Soy Gel? Just paint over the whole thing in a white?

I have other photos, but seem limites to adding four. (This is my first Houzz post, so still learning.)

Thank you for any insight or suggestions.

Comments (14)