SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Gardeners' World

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I don't think this show is very widely available here in the US. But I dislike most network TV and subscribe to several British TV access applications and cruising through the listings available on BritBox, I found this and was immediately hooked!!

I quite like Monty Don and the other guest presenters. I like that they address gardening issues related to both edibles as well as all manner of ornamentals. I like that they focus a segment on a specific plant type each program, make meaningful and realistic design suggestions, tour larger country house or show gardens yet still address those who do not live on estates and garden in tiny yards. And I really like that they make clear that gardening and landscaping is a process and not an overnight makeover with an unlimited budget thrown at it. And Nigel and Nellie are adorable :-)

So why can't we manage to do something similar here in the US?? Even back in the days when HGTV actually had a 'G' component, we didn't come close to the depth and quality that this show offers. Is it because we are too geographically diverse that a national show would be just too vague and generalized to be of value? Or that there isn't the interest and therefore sponsorship to support it? Or do we just generally lack the degree of gardening appreciation and knowledge that it seems like virtually any British citizen over the age of 10 possesses?

BritBox is only offering the current season so hoping there are more episode to come. But I would love to access previous seasons as well. This show has been in production since 1968!!

Comments (10)