SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

cheap way to grow a dense evergreen 2' hedge? 75 feet

want hedge along driveway about 75 total feet of hedge

Full sun except when cars are parked.

Zone 7a New Jersey.

Want it about 2.5 feet final height.

If requires two trimmings a year to keep in shape that's fine because it wouldn't take very long but don't want plants meant to grow much taller and look very stringy in between shape ups, so I guess a dwarf variety.

eBay has Korean Boxwood starters but are only like one 8" stem with leaves:

$150 for 60 plants:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winter-Gem-Korean-Boxwood-Qty-60-Live-Plants-Fast-Growing-Cold-Hardy-Evergreen/232149891358?hash=item360d36391e

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Winter-Gem-Korean-Boxwood-Live-Plants-Cold-Hardy-Starter-Plant/323409093124?hash=item4b4caf2204:g:6QsAAOSw4M9bfX2M

75 feet is needed, so if those little starters need to be planted 1 foot apart then I'd need 75 plants, or 37.5 plants if planted every two feet.

Basically I want to plant them now within a week and will mulch them with grass clippings to protect from winter and want it to at least somewhat resemble a hedge by next Summer or at least by next Fall.

I have boxwoods that were maybe gallon size to begin with and still took like 5 years just to join only about 2 feet from eachother, and yes I did trim the tops to promote sideways growth, but they're basically in full shade to be fair.

This is for a neighbor. I informed them that just 1 boxwood from a local nursery is about $20 and could cost about $600 for the hedge. I mentioned I can get on eBay cheaper but a) will take longer to fill in and b) will have smaller root system more susceptible to winter damage. They said go with the eBay option.

FYI this hedgerow is going to be planted right on top of a strip of vinca minor being installed as starter plants next week spaced closely together since vinca is so cheap $25 for 100 starters.

there will be a 2 foot strip of vinca right against the drivewat, then the hedgerow starts and terminates into the lawn. The Vinca shouldn't climb the hedge but if I can keep it at bay with a line trimmer if needed.

I don't care if it's boxwood or whatever as long as it's dense evergreen hedge that can be maintained at about 2.5 feet eventualy height.

Can anyone link a good deal on eBay for such plants better than the $150 for 60 plants I linked above? I'm ok with the price but those starters are so darn small. My friend owns a large nursery and has said in the past he'd hook me up but I don't think they have those tiny starters and I don't want to impose and expect to get the normally $20 3-gallon 15" plants for much less.

Comments (14)