SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_fisher79

I’m dreaming of a white kitchen... (NOT!)

Elizabeth Fisher
5 years ago
We just went under contract on this house and plan to upgrade the kitchen ASA we close. Would love some help with granite/backsplash combos (or do I keep the quartz?). Cabinet color perhaps? Anything else you recommend? FWIW The floors are not nearly cherry - toned in person as the pictures. It’s a much more neutral wood than they appear.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Get rid of the fan and add some pendants above the island and a new bcksplash with some color. What exactly do you want to change ? I usually love white kitchens but that is too much white IMO . The wall ovens seem to be not a part of the kitchen, the cabinets needed to go to the ceiling all the heavy trim seems to me to be way over the top with those cheap cabinets. Maybe post a floor plan with as much detail as possible and give us an idea of what your budget is and also your style.

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

I would not alter anything if you have quartz counters. the kitchen can be considered already upgraded with quartz. You have nice classic rooms/good looking floor....so leave the kitchen and use it until the white is ready to go. It's a nice kitchen for the initial time after a move...and then some. A two toned kitchen....better cabinetry ,is what I would have my eye on.....but it's a big project/ not needed right now.

• HU-73591374
    5 years ago

Not a professional, but easy fixes I see to make it less white are switching out cabinet hardware (adding pulls and maybe choosing black) and painting the backsplash wall (It look a like from the photo there is not tile there, just wall?) and I agree about the fan. I wonder if cabinets were white to begin with or painted as part of getting the house ready for sale..?

• suzanne_sl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

For the moment I wouldn't do a lot to that kitchen, especially the countertop. I agree, the white is a bit overwhelming. I suspect they did paint the cabinets for resale; I think that may be the case because the arched doors are often seen in 80s-90s (?) kitchens in oak. They may have even installed the countertop for resale. In any case, until you're ready for a complete makeover, a few relatively minor refreshes will do the job.

* Change out the cabinet hardware. Do black or gold do it for you? Bring samples home from the local home improvement center and see how they look. Try all sorts of things-go wild! (Save your receipts and take unwanteds back.)

* I would desperately want some color in there. You could use "pops" like a red KA mixer, cheerful canisters, flower pots, something(s) that can be set on the counter or placed on the wall. You could change the wall color.

* The problem with doing a backsplash is that they already have a 4"(?) mini-splash back there. You could either have that torn out and add a backsplash or add something above it. If it were me, I'd just paint a color. I'm not sure tearing out is worth the money and adding above the mini-splash looks a little funny.

* How about some under-cabinet lighting?

This kitchen isn't terrible. Not to say that there aren't things that could be significantly better, but it's more than functional as is. I suggest living with it until you decide if and when you want to do something major. Major would include all lower drawers, a better hood over the cooktop, a sink and countertop you love, a pantry, things that make this kitchen personal for you.

Congrats on the new house!

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

How old is the home? I would not spend $ to replace quartz counters on those kind of cabs. I think bringing in color by painting the island and then adding rugs, accessories, and a new wall color would help with the space.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I'd think the cabnets were painted as a part of resale preparation. They seem older cabs..arched door details, etc.

see no reason to change Quartz at all..unless you hate it. Non offensive surface, recently installed.

I wouldn't do anything major, and especially ASAP..live there first a bit, always helps to know more about you in the house..one starts paying attention to details he didn't before, or can stop paying attention to others that seemed big before he moved

It's a nice kitchen. No reason to hurry, well, imo. I'd change out the light, maybe play with hardware..maybe change wall paint color, when you know more about your color scheme, adjacent spaces and all..you can install backsplash you love, but then remove the ledge one, and it's more costly thing to do, but can be fun.

and I'd for sure bring my accessories (that can be very useful as they are for kitchen), and have fun using them everyday.

I'd add some texture-wood..ceramics..something weaved..fabrcs-kitchen towel counts:) color can come from all of these, and mini appliances and plants and fruits..you can introduce different metal finishes too..smth copper? smth black?

Or is your main concern the upkeep of white cabinets? that's a different issue.

just to say that painted means more upkeep whatever color it is. Mine are not white, still upkeep. If they were darker-some things, you'll see less, but scratches/dings, you'd see more.

Otherwise, if you just love color and not white and ready to put money or sweat and lots of time into these, most likely already painted cabinets-color is fun.

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

Congratulations on your new home. If it were me, I’d Keep the quartz and paint the cabs the darkest colour in the quartz. Find a ceramic backsplash a shade or two lighter than the cabs are painted.

• laurafhallen
    5 years ago

If it were my kitchen, I would find a very cool pendant to hang over the island. I would switch the knobs on the drawers to pulls, just to break it up. I would consider painting the island, maybe. That's all for now. I would live with it and think about changing the back splash later.

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

I would not put much money into this. You’ve got no drawers, the island may prove inconvenient, and going by the style I’d guess the cabinets are not exactly brand new. You may decide that you want to do a full remodel at some point.

I would paint walls a nice color, change the ceiling fan to an interesting small chandelier/large pendant and maybe consider painting the island a color and call it good. After you get your stuff in there it will not look nearly as stark.

• Sharon
    5 years ago

Once your things are in the kitchen it won't seem so stark. Colorful canisters, teapot, etc. You could paint just the island if you feel it needs it. Even stick on backsplash might be a simple inexpensive way to add the character to make it your own.

• acm
    5 years ago

For sure keep the quartz. I'd consider painting the lower cabinets, or even just the island, blue. That would bring in a lot of color, allow for some backsplash options, while keeping the feel relatively classic (and even going with your yellow if you keep it).

"The Blues" Kitchen · More Info

Sumptuous Beaded Kitchen · More Info

Bergen Street town house · More Info

Moody Blues · More Info

Second choice, maybe a pale green.

Belgrave · More Info

Third choice, bring in the color in backsplash only.

Classic & Charming Family Home · More Info

• Jessica
    5 years ago
    Paint the lower cabinets charcoal, add some new pulls, upgrade the backsplash and some lighting. I would keep that quartz...
  • sashac
    5 years ago

Keep quartz counters, paint the island and beef it up a bit with some trim moulding, perhaps? I love the suggestions of a deeper blue with brass hardware. A large pendant light with wood or gold accents would be beautiful! Good luck

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

As mentioned above, this was probably painted and zhuzhed up for sale. You can tell by the cathedral detail in the upper cabinets and the lack of drawers in the base cabinets. I agree that you should leave this alone. Down the road if you get tired of the white, but you're getting close to a total kitchen reno you could diy some paint to keep you going until you've got your kitchen budget filled.

When you redo this kitchen, you should look at swapping the fridge and ovens locations for sure.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of white. Another generic uninspiring snow storm kitchen. I would at first do nothing until you are all moved in and are comfortable in your new home. Then turn your attention to the kitchen. Until then bring in some warmth and color with accessories. If the cabinets are in good shape you can always strip the cheap looking white paint off the cabinets and stain them. If not then you might have to save up for new cabinets.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Congratulations on your new house : ) .

I would live in the house and use the the kitchen as-is for at least a year before making any changes; the only thing I might do is paint the island and change the hardware, and maybe get some tile-look decals for the backsplash. After a year, you'll have a much better idea of how functional the kitchen is and what changes you might like to make. Waiting a year also gives you a chance to save up some more money after you've just spent a big chunk.

• just_janni
    5 years ago

I agree with doing less - change fan, cab hardware, kitchen faucet and then add ACCESSORIES with color. (Mixer? towels?)

Then maybe a backsplash - that kitchen cries out for something funky behind the cooktop. (Heck - maybe just hang some utensils or something)

But I suspect you will soon realize that the island is a barrier and the layout isn't all that good and a remodel may be in your future..... so don't go nuts.

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago
    I would do a backsplash in a color and a chandelier instead of the fan. See how it looks. You could do new hardware too. I like marble look backsplashes
  • crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

This is a very nice, very large house. I doubt those are cheapo cabinets that got a cheapo paint job just for listing. However, I do believe that to match the style of the rest of the house, the owner may soon want to replace the cabinets with something new and more upscale. Until that time, I'd paint behind the cabinets (there's no backsplash, correct?) in a complimentary color to the rest of the house, maybe paint the island and wait until the remodel happens. Otherwise it's a nice kitchen.

Elizabeth (OP) - Many people do not realize that a real estate listing photo is very easy to find with a google search. You have a beautiful house. When you get ready to remodel, post your floor plan here. Your layout can definitely be improved.

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

I would add color by painting the walls - and leave the white for now. As others have said, once you've lived with the kitchen for a while, you may decide that it needs more than lipstick - and it would be a shame to put time and money into a temporary makeover.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I would paint the walls a color, and the island -- I am in the camp that loves dark blue for the island, but I have also loved sage greens, yellows, blue-greens -- so much to choose from. Another lovely way to add subtle color to a room is to paint the ceiling with something like Transparent by Valspar -- a great color that works with greens, blues and creams.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Congrats on the new home! If you want to go with a color, blue or black cabinets might be really beautiful. I would keep the countertops. Something very cool we're seeing a lot of in kitchens these days is a geometric/3d tile backsplash like this one: 3d tile

• lulu bella
    5 years ago

I don't know how it wears, but I think those pictures of the cabinets with the long hardware ( I think painted black or dark blue ) above looks terrific.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

The first thing that hits me in the face is the floor - I would need to do something - maybe floor mats - to tone that orange down. (That's just me though - I think most people are fine with that.)

I'd definitely paint the backsplash area - I prefer cool colors but not sure what you are looking for. I do love the picture Brickwood Builders, Inc. posted with the dark lower cabinets. That color would even mesh with the orange flooring you have and tone down that stark contrast.

So, paint lower cabs and island, and backsplash, and add floor mats, for an inexpensive "color correction". If the counters are definitely quartz, I would leave them.

• PRO
    Century Hardware
    5 years ago

Hey Elizabeth Fisher ,

congratulations on the house! over all i think the kitchen has a nice look to it! I would suggest a back splash and new paint color. I'm not a designer but the whole room just looks rather monochromatic to me. I would also suggest looking into new cabinet hardware it would be a way to add a little color and shine to the room. You should check out Century Hardware's Belvedere and Milan collections. Either of those would look nice in your kitchen. Best wishes!

Belvedere Collection · More Info

Milan Collection · More Info

• Donna E
    5 years ago

I would pick an accent color, maybe aqua, red, or navy....then put that on the backsplash above the short backsplash. You could just use paint. Then add in a mixer, other accessories. Bring in a little pattern with some area rugs. Dark hardware. Colored pendant lights.