SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctsnicholas

Modern door but stained wood trim. What color should the doors be?

ctsnicholas
5 years ago

I've got a design dilemma, if you will. I have beautiful stained (and semi-gloss poly'd) pine trim in a medium brownish tint. It's 1x4 and 1x6 very basic square edge profile. My doors are currently a primer off-white. They are modern doors though with a neat design where they look like various panels within the door. There are 5 equal sized rectangles that run 2/3 the width of the door and then one large rectangle going from top to bottom on the 1/3 of the door. Originally I was going to paint the grooves that make these rectangles a darker color and make the panel pop, but now I am thinking just paint the entire door the same color to not attract too much attention.

I am thinking crisp white, maybe a similar sheen to the wood trim, or - bold I know - but painting them the color of the room they are in! I'm trying to work on drawing it up in paint to see how it looks, but basically the door would be the color of the wall, so yes the wood trim would frame out the door but the door would not stick out so much.

I am not seeing this option on google or here with the door being the same color. I see the door being a similar color or a shade darker/lighter, and I also do not see wood trim but instead painted trim. I love the wood trim, and maybe wooden doors would have been the wiser idea, but I think the right paint color would make these look great! The off white primer has received plenty of compliments, but I think that's because the door itself is so cool. I'm hoping to hear some stories of this or even better pictures. I know having stained wood trim makes me the minority, especially in 2018. ;) But I would not have painted trim in any house I call mine. At least not on the main floor.

Comments (3)