SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

2nd wedding recap.

l pinkmountain
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

First, sorry I was not able to contact any of my east coast/Philly area Gardenweb friends for a get-together, but our trip in and out for the wedding ended up being quicker and much more hectic than I had originally thought it would be. Plus we were broke so didn't have money to stay a day longer than necessary!

I have posted a couple of questions so here are some answers for how they all turned out IRL. Here we are in our wedding pavilion. Minister in ivory, me and hubs in ivory floral and dark grey suit respectively. Matron of honor in black print with white daisies. Her husband was the best man. I stood up with them 30 years ago!

Dress, hair ornament, etc.:

This had some disappointments, but not from lack of trying to find better options. I got a lot of compliments on my dress but I think it didn't do my figure any favors, too much of the "stuffed sausage" look, although I think it looked better in person than the photo shows. The print was indeed perfect for me as a nature-geek horticulturalist. Not having the perfect dress wasn't from lack of trying and trying to find an alternative. I thought it would be cooler end of Sept., so my dress was intended to be worn with a bright pink rayon jacket that gave it a longer line. I could have worn a blue and black dress/top combo that I already owned, but those colors don't say, "bride." I had intended to wear that outfit at the reception but was so busy socializing that I never changed.

On the plus side, the weather was picture perfect 74 degrees. I looked and looked for a belt or sash to wear with the dress and then figured I didn't need one. But that was factoring in the jacket. So I really could have used a nice belt or sash. So bad-call on not getting that. I gained about ten lbs. since I bought the dress, due to stress eating. It is what it is. I had fun and nobody in my social circle is body-obsessed anyway. But at some point I need to get a handle on how I am maintaining my body or it's going to start giving out on me!

My good friend and matron of honor booked us into a local hair salon for getting our hair done. I made the mistake of thinking I should wait and not wash my hair because they would do it at the salon. Apparently "just washed" hair is not good for styling. Plus my husband wanted my hair down. My hair didn't look good and didn't hold the style, minimal as it was. On the plus side, my matron of honor, who got to wear an updo, looked fabulous. I wore a rhinestone hair comb that had belonged to my late mother, for something borrowed. That was nice. Appearance of my hair not really a concern for me.

On the big plus side, I splurged and ordered some "out there" (for me) hot pink suede shoes. They were a tremendous hit!! They don't call me lpinkmountain for nothing!

We got Roget Asti upon recommendation from the folks at the liquor store. It was pretty good, on sale and basically inexpensive anyway. Good middle of the road taste, not too sweet or dry. Champagne toasts worked out well with friends opening the chilled bottles and pouring, most everyone took some or some of the sparkling fruit juice alternative. I caved at the last minute and ordered some heavier duty plastic champagne flutes and justified it by thinking that if I left them with the non-profit venue they might get used again. At any rate, they were perfect.

This wedding had a bigger, more bubbly crowd than the first, with some friends reuniting after 10-25+ years so very emotional. Plus my husband's family and friends were there so more of a joint feel for us. The minister and I and many of the guests go back 33 years, and we wrote our own vows for this one, and included some Jewish and African traditions, plus planted a tree, so that was special for us. The day could not have been nicer as far as the weather.

This wedding had more music and dancing, and alcohol, but the aspect that gave us the most joy was just all being together.

Still struggling with how to share photos. Technology is not always user-friendly. We left it open on gifts. Have not opened most of them. Still trying to make our way through the thank-yous for our first wedding!!

Hard to come back down to earth but lots of work awaiting us back home--fall is a busy season for those of us who work outdoors.

Comments (22)