SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

How to locate a septic field?

mxk3 z5b_MI
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Before you scoff and say "call a septic company" -- I did, and they won't provide this service unless I get my tanked cleaned, which I don't need done (and it's not cheap).

Here's the scoop. Previous owner swears the field is in an area northwest area of the house, says so because some guy took a shovel and dug a small part of the field and he saw it (not sure if was inspector or what else was going on). Ok fine. I contacted the both the township and county to get the specific location and dimensions, and the records on file, back from mid-80s, show the permitted 30' x 60' septic field directly north of the house, totally different area. There is nothing on file from either the township or the county regarding my septic since this one in the mid-80s. Two problems here:

1. I don't know where the field actually is and need to locate it before I plant some trees (obviously need to steer clear of the drainage field); and,

2. If the field was relocated to the NW area, it isn't permitted, because if it were there would be a record of it. This is not good -- no reputable septic company is going to place a field without pulling a permit. Fortunately, I've had no problems with the system since moving in 2 years ago, but still methinks this might be a case of a previous-previous owner DYI-ing it. This is really not good.

So, any tips to locate the septic field myself? If I start digging, how far down until I hit it, and what specifically am I looking for?

Secondary question: Do I have any legal recourse if the field was indeed relocated and not permitted and it cr*ps out on me (no pun intended)?

(And yes, my home inspector was lousy)

Comments (16)