SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_902558381

Decor advice for small studio with ocean view

HU-902558381
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, I downsized from a one bedroom to a small studio (for the view!). Before I moved in, when it was empty, lol, it was so bright and airy. Now that I moved my stuff in, it feels cramped, cluttered, and heavy.

I got rid of a lot of things, and as I look at my actual stuff, now I don’t have too much, but it certainly looks/feels like it. I wonder if it’s my decor/design? I created a mood board, and I’m drawn to more-so minimalist rooms with a touch of bohemian. I LOVE white flowy curtains, wooden/woven textures, and low beds. I’m thinking of contact papering my desk with ‘teak’ and getting a lower bed frame...

I’m not good at decorating and I can’t really figure out what I’m doing wrong here... would love some advice before I make anymore new purchases. Also, I work from home, and the couch is new :)

Does this room feel heavy and cluttered To you? I’d be grateful for any suggestions to help me get it to relaxing, comfortable and airy :)

Comments (75)

• lizziesma
    5 years ago

Maybe sofa at foot of bed, desk on current sofa wall, mirror above desk to reflect awesome view, tv still in corner. I think clearing surfaces a bit would help lots. LOVE that view.

HU-902558381 thanked lizziesma
  • Sharyn
    5 years ago

I think you need smaller, airier bedside lamps. And I think those large floor lanterns next to the couch are taking up valuable walk space.

This is a beautiful space to work with!

HU-902558381 thanked Sharyn
  • Related Discussions

Need advice for decorating a studio apartment using this sofa

Q

Comments (21)
    http://palletfurnitureplans.blogspot.com/2013/03/26-pallet-table-moveable-piece-of-art.html DIY with pallets? That web site also have plans for a box with lid. Or coffee table from IKEA Malm slats http://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/01/diy-coffee-table-from-malm-bed-slats.html Also, IKEA used to have a (basement) storage system that had a box with a lid like that. STEN, I believe. Or what about This End up? I'd look on CL for these.
    ...See More

How to decorate the space behind the couch in a small living-room ?

Q

Comments (12)
    This is a larger view. I agree that the drum light calls for a table, although the drum can go. I thought maybe the buffet can be on the left wall ? That furniture looks neat on a white wall. And put an armchair on the right corner like the picture of Nosoccermom. But what in between ? This is the other side, the dining-room. I thought maybe the white furniture can go to the other side as I find it too bulky right here.
    ...See More

need advice on finishing great room decor

Q

Comments (125)
    @HomeInteriirsWithEase- I can see how that would be ideal, bc that would make the fireplace the focal put and connect the room. However, we have a complicated situation. My daughter with special needs is in the room through the doorway by the TV. We need to be able to go from the bathroom (behind the built in) to the room where she is in via a bath chair that rolls. Hence I need an easy path from that room to the bathroom. If the sofa is there, I would have to leave at least 3 ft between the wall and the sofa, it would be an awkward layout. Not to mention that the kids and DH like to watch TV from the kitchen table and that is behind the sofa. I have to make the best of the current layout. We can plan to love the fireplace when we remodel the kitchen. I ha e thought about a electric fireplace under the TV.
    ...See More

Need advice for decorating octogonal breakfast room

Q

Comments (65)
    Ted - You have my taste down 100%. This is gorgeous. It has an Art Deco vibe. It looks like something Hercule Poirot would have in his apartment (do you know the show? You can watch it on Britbox, which is a channel on Amazon Prime. I love the way he dresses, and I love his apartment). Btw, we have a 60” round area rug that we put in the breakfast room, to see how a 60” table would feel. We moved the chairs out to where they would be with the 60” table as well. We are in a quandry - the 60” table would make the room feel much grander, more significant - I was shocked at the difference! It made the room feel much larger, which seemed so counter-intuitive to me. So, yes, would be gorgeous. But this is the quandry - there is just me and hubby and it might feel really strange having 4 empty chairs at every meal. We have a good sized dining room so we don’t need the extra seating. Also, with a 60” table, additional furniture might (not sure) be a tiny bit cramped. However, we don’t need additional furniture - but the option (like the crate and barrel one you just sent) is so nice to have. It’s a hard decision. So, that’s where we are right now... trying to figure out which size table to get. What do you think?
    ...See More
  • HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was just at my neighbor‘s house, who has a two bedroom, so a different situation, but I was so impressed with their living room! It was so airy, and it felt like not much was in there... they had their tv mounted on the wall, with a slim rectangular glass parsons table under it- incredible how little room it was taking up!

I have my tv diagonally situated on a small dresser (although the storage is so useful); I wonder if my tv was mounted on the wall with a slim parson table under it, if it would make a significant difference?

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    following...
    HU-902558381 thanked krottmann
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Why are you not allowed to have a Murphy bed?

HU-902558381 thanked loobab
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Here's an easily movable transparent "C" table. A pair of them instead of the coffee table might help clear the floor and make it seem more open. I see there is a window behind the TV. What's your view there? You might fill that nook with a tall cupboard that has doors for more storage than your chest. Just ignore the window as you are now.

Medley Acrylic C-Shaped Accent Table, Clear · More Info

HU-902558381 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Decoenthusiaste: awesome! Thank you! I’m showing this to my boyfriend now, and he likes it as well :) The view from that little window is of a street, and doesn’t offer much privacy- cabinet storage would go great there!

loobab: I think he was thinking of the traditional Murphy bed, and maybe he was worried about damage to the walls? I did look at the cabinet beds that don’t go into the walls, but they didn’t really resonate with me. I’m hoping a low bed frame will make the room appear more spacious instead.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Will you be able to see the view from a low bed?

HU-902558381 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Click through the "more info" to see all the ways they've used the c table. If you can do without a box spring, you can lower the bed yet maintain room under it for rolling storage bins. If you like the draped bedding, they won't show.

Sliding Under Bed Storage Box · More Info

• Kerry Blossom
    5 years ago
    I would put bed where couch is if it fits. tv on Wall where bed is and couch facing that wall. it Will keep the entertaining space- kitchen on one side and bedroom on the other. if that fits.
    HU-902558381 thanked Kerry Blossom
  • rockybird
    5 years ago

I would stick with white colors and not do woods. Maybe add some splashes of color to the walls with art (blue would be pretty), or dots of color in vases, kitchenware, or trinkets. But the focus should be that beautiful blue ocean view.

I’d think about a lighter bed...maybe a cute tube frame, but tuck the bedding into the mattress. I cant find a pic of what I’m thinking of, but here’s a couple anyway from overstock and crate and barrel. I’d try to use airy pieces, like this table from anthropologie. I like putting the tv on the wall with a thin glass table under it. Your space has so much potential!

HU-902558381 thanked rockybird
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

We don't know that much about your lifestyle (I hate that term, but can't think of another), so these suggestions may or may not help.

Since you work from home, I'd consider using the kitchen table as your workspace, and adding storage for work-stuff nearby. This could be in the kitchen itself, if you don't use your kitchen a lot. You could even hang the open-weave wall-hanging (from your inspiration photos) as a room divider. I think the hammock artwork would look great in the kitchen too.

I think if you can get the desk out of your living room, the space will work more or less as you now have it arranged. You might even sqeeze in a small-scale chair, prehaps in wicker.

chair

ETA: To achieve the look from your inspiration photos, you'll need to hide the black tv screen. If you can mount the tv, it is easy to disguise with pull down artwork, or cabinet, etc. But it does make it difficult to rotate the tv, if you need to. One option for that would be a tv easel.

tv easel

Or perhaps you could somehow mount artwork on it, that you would remove when watching tv.

I'd replace the floor lamp behind sofa - possibly with something like:

I can be a bit OC, but I'd really want the shelf and curtain rod above the closet to align with the curtain rod above the windows.

HU-902558381 thanked mjlb
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

HU-902558381 thanked katinparadise
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    I keep coming back to this thread because I think you have one of the best studio apartments I've ever seen. so much light, the ceilings, so many windows.
    the kitchen is crazy, but I've seen worse...
    I'm still thinking...
    HU-902558381 thanked Oliviag
  • vandar
    5 years ago

Following...

HU-902558381 thanked vandar
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

I've been playing with your layout :-) Used your nightstands as side table/tables..

Other · More Info

Other · More Info

HU-902558381 thanked kulrn
  • Kate
    5 years ago

Your post with its beautiful photos is one of the most interesting I've followed in a long time. Please get rid of those heavy-looking lanterns on floor and replace the one on the desktop with something lighter looking. I like your long white desk facing out the window.

HU-902558381 thanked Kate
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

I'm also a bit obsessed with this space. It would be more logical to have the bed near the closet and bath, and the sofa near the kitchen/dining. However, a straight-on view out the window, as the furniture is currently arranged, is very appealing too.

When I first posted, I hadn't read that OP works from home, and is more effective with a desk. I think the space could work more or less as-is, if the TV could be worked in better. I'd move the dresser to the kitchen and put the tv on an easel. (See my sketchy version of how it would look below.) When not watching the tube, I'd have something decorative hanging over the screen.

Some minor changes that I think would help would be more natural materials, such as in the floor lamp I posted above. I also think adding some pale wood trim on the door mirror, and around the artwork above the sofa would bring more of the inspirational feel to the space.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

This has always been a favorite beach studio of mine here on Houzz. Might inspire you. I could see a DIY bed cubby like this with your desk in place of the console table. They've cubbied off the closet and In your case it would be the closet and bathroom???

Studio · More Info

Studio: Bedroom · More Info

Studio: Living Room detail · More Info

• Molly
    5 years ago
    What a cute studio! The white makes everything so beachy.
    HU-902558381 thanked Molly
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

deco... I thought of that one right away too! The other one that sprang to mind is:

Ladies Street · More Info

[beach - surfy[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/ladies-street-beach-style-living-room-jacksonville-phvw-vp~9400351)

• loobab
    5 years ago

I still don't see how your landlord can forbid a Murphy bed.

Please take a look at your lease.

Some leases forbid waterbeds, and that makes sense because the building may not support the weight, and they don't want to deal with a leak, either.

But are they telling you you can't hang pictures from the wall?

Are they telling you you can't hang bookshelves?

Unless you get something in writing you can't have a Murphy bed, I don't see any reason you can't.

Landlords say all kinds of nonsense that they are not allowed to say, like you can't use the dishwasher after X oclock, or you can't have men in your apartment (!), they will do all sorts of things that are not enforceable, and this Murphy Bed thing may be one of them.

Read your lease carefully,

If there is nothing in it that forbids the Murphy Bed, go for it, and when you move out, carefully repair any defects in the wall just like you would after removing a any shelves or pictures.

• shelleysmith999
    5 years ago
    Following!
    HU-902558381 thanked shelleysmith999
  • loobab
    5 years ago
    Here’s another thought.
    The TV seems like a black hole sucking space and light and in a small apartment that’s not a good thing.
    I would suggest hiding the TV in a console on wheels at the foot of the bed in which it is on a mechanism that will raise it. You can get a mechanism that will rotate it as well or you can have the whole console on wheels so it can be moved when you want to watch from the sofa.
    I would also find another place to store your surfboard. If it doesn’t fit under the bed, find a way to attach it to the ceiling or high, high upon the wall just under the ceiling horizontally. In that corner where you have it now you can build shelves or install a ready made cabinet with a door something like a kitchen cabinet to give you more storage if you need it.
    I would remove the bulky black lanterns on your side table.
    In a small space, less and lighter airy accessories are a better idea.
  • Aphaea
    5 years ago

I love the windows and flow-y curtains too. What I think drags it down is the dresser/desk in front of the window. Can you get rid of it and re-think where to put necessary stuff you have in drawers? The oversized dark television doesn't help. Can the bed be moved further away from the window so you could add a couple of upholstered chairs. Maybe reconsider the coffee table.

HU-902558381 thanked Aphaea
  • HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions :)! I pulled two long back-to-back shifts with a client, but I’m about to drive home now to sit at my desk and read your suggestions with my notebook and pen, so I can put some of them into action!

In that apartment, every little thing makes such a big difference- you guys really helped me even the first day... I gave away the palm (that was dying) to my greenthumb neighbor, and moved those lanterns in it‘s place.

I got home late, lit all my little candles, and it felt so peaceful for some reason. I don’t know if it’s looks better (?), but it changed the ambiance, with the light playing on the wall :) I took some photos to show you guys:

• HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

About my lifestyle and work, you guys will laugh (given the context of my post), but keep in mind that I just downsized about a month ago, and donated/sold about 40% of my stuff in the process :)

I work with people in their homes to declutter their possessions, specializing in hoarders. I’m really great at coaching for decluttering (other peoples stuff). The business has proliferated, and it’s not unusual that I pull a 15 hour shift if they’re on a roll.

A lot of the homes are filled with dust/mold/cockroaches/stuff, and some clients are depressed, some suicidal; and I inevitably care about each one, so it can be mentally/emotionally taxing over the course of the days. When I come home, it would be a respite to have an airy, relaxing space, to let my mind relax from overwhelming ‘stuff’.

I’m a healthy 34 year old, but was recently skipping a lot of meals to handle the client-load, and inhaling that mold/dust was making me wheeze at night (even though I wear masks).

Because of this, since I moved in, I’ve been making sure to cook myself an awesome breakfast and dinner everyday. I put the dining room table in for more counter space, but always eat at the coffee table :) I usually eat late and alone, and cherish good food with my drama series after a long day :)!

To keep this shorter, I’d be so happy if somehow this space could support me in these 5 aspects:

- work (priority): to finish writing my book and focus on my business/clients

- to cook healthy meals

- surf a lot (to get my exercise)

- paint (creative outlet)

-read (love to read when there is time)

I consolidated all my office supplies and client/personal files to fit into those desk drawers, so if I could somehow keep the desk, as my dedicated workspace, that would be so handy... mostly because the book and business are my main priority in the coming year.

My books that I love/want to read are displayed on that shelf to remind me to read (downsized that from a library that lined my old garage when I moved) :)

My easel is tucked away in that closet, so painting is a tough one... would love to somehow use that cubby as a painting/surfboard storage area... :)

Lastly, I’m half American, and half Japanese, and grew up between California and Japan, so I think I’m drawn to clean, low lines, but casual? I also lived in Morocco and Indonesia in my 20’s, so that little Moroccan lantern and tropical things make me feel nostalgic (in a good way).

Now maybe I’ve just confused everyone, lol. Sorry for the long post!! Ok, heading home now to read through your awesome suggestions/comments :)!

• PRO
    Mogul Interior
    5 years ago

BRASS WORK HAND CARVED ARMOIRE · More Info

antique gothic mid century doors cabinet- add in the old world charm

HU-902558381 thanked Mogul Interior
  • User
    5 years ago

White and driftwood. If you keep buying light your space will be light. You have a lovely space. Enjoy as much and often as you can. And kudos for working with people who are struggling :-)

HU-902558381 thanked User
  • Donald
    5 years ago
    I’d say, keep the taller bed frame if that means you have storage underneath (contained and accessible) but I don’t think the bed height is making a difference. Do you need 2 nightstands? The books up high really draw the eye, maybe instead of one nightstand you could use a vertical spined bookshelf (cb2 has one and it holds a bunch without taking up a lot of space)
    HU-902558381 thanked Donald
  • kodiac23
    5 years ago

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. You really need a beautiful stress free, un cluttered environment! you have been working hard to get there, so great progress so far! getting rid of 40% of your stuff is quite an accomplishment , even for a professional like you.

My suggestions on s would be :

1) use the vertical, hang the lanterns you love,

2) is there any wall large enough that you can hang the surfboard? and it stilll be accessible?

3) hang the plant or get a smaller plant

4.) hang taller and wider drapes on closet on rings - cieaning up the visual space and you would have more function

5) I really like the sketch above thaaas tthe bed into the bathroom wall and the ddesk to. The corner.

And the tv stand / dresser be one piece of furniture. Looking forward to updates!

HU-902558381 thanked kodiac23
  • lizzierobin
    5 years ago

Can we get a picture of your bed to the kitchen? Trying to get the entire picture of your place. (And space possibilites or limitations)

HU-902558381 thanked lizzierobin
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

Hu - thanks for the update. You are an interesting person leading a meaningful life!

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Doesn't sound like you have much time for your own projects, but you could take kulrn's plan #1 and build that lathe wall around the side and foot of the bed. That would tuck sleep, bath and closet away but let light through the lathe. Note too all the storage under that bed when the mattress is raised on a box base with drawers. They could open into the closet side and the sofa could back up to the side of the bed facing the entry. TV could go on the wall where you have the bed now and you could even hang some of your art, or even the surfboard, on the lathe. I think clearing floor space will make things feel more open and airy. With the TV moved, you could stack your two end tables in that niche to clear more floor area. I'm not even sure I'd have a rug except by the bed in front of the closet. If the "C" tables don't work, a dual function coffee table could be helpful. These lift top ones give you options for dining in front of the TV or for working. The top one would still allow for a feeling of the open floor, but the second one has more storage underneath, especially if you could find some seagrass baskets to fill the niches.

HOMCOM 39" Modern Lift Top Coffee Table Desk With Storage, Coffee Brown · More Info

Cannery Bridge Lift Top Coffee Table · More Info

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

I keep coming back to read suggestions and see what you've done. Wow, bless you for the work you do! One thing that comes to mind with the candles are articles that came out several years ago about fumes, etc from them. So if you're already inhaling things, too many candles/daily burning might not be good. I am not a candle person (fumes/smells trigger migraines), so do your own research.

HU-902558381 thanked Allison0704
  • Sister Sunnie
    5 years ago

I 'm following this with interest, such a great space. Just a tip from a long time allergy sufferer and someone very affected by exposure to mold and mildew. Take a shower as soon as you can after returning home. Wash your hair also. I never thought about it but a Doctor told me, and it makes sense. You carry all those spores and allergens in your hair and on your clothes and then you lay down and breathe them all night long. It has helped me tremendously.

HU-902558381 thanked Sister Sunnie
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    even in a small space like a studio, it's important to crate "rooms", or zones.
    I like the bed where it is. Anywhere else, it's the first thing you see as you walk in the door...

If I lived in your studio, I'd think about moving the desk to the kitchen. sell the table and chairs. Buy a narrow counterheight bench and two stools. place them bench and desk back to back, perpendicular to the kitchen window. The bench could be as simple as an 18 to 24 inch wide piece of butcher block with four IKEA legs, at 36" height, for a landing zone when you bring home groceries, a prep zone when making meals, a buffet when you have company.... with two stools that slide under, you might even choose to eat there, occadionally. The kitchen/office becomes your "work zone. "

Seated on the sofa, you can turn your back on the work zone, and live in the " relax zone" , without staring at the desk and its unfinished projects... Since you eat at the coffee table, it's also often your dining zone.

the bed (sleep zone ) may need some rearranging to create more storage. you may want to go higher.. create drawers underneath, at the very least... And, I'd again suggest turning it 90 degrees... If it's a queen, consider replacing with a double. you'd gain almost 6 square feet of open floor space, and open up the view.
    I'm rambling, and I can't edit this since I work on a phone, but I'll try to post a version of your drawing.
    I love your space. wish I'd had something like that when I was young and single. you're both smart, and brave, to downsize. enjoy.

Can you create some storage in the bath for underwear, towels, and bathing suits? Baskets on shelves, hanging shoe racks from a pretty fabric? a shallow chest of drawers??

I'd like to see the surfboard more visible and accessible, so you can use and enjoy it more often.. Maybe hung from the ceiling on pulleys, or standing up by the door, supported by laced straps...
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    very crude drawing of your beautiful space. sorry
  • HU-245049435
    5 years ago

OP, you have a beautiful space already, albeit challenging because according to your drawing. You have about 150-200 sq ft? Going back to your original post, yes, it does look cluttered and heavy. Sorry to say, but it looks Ikea-ish and does not look like your inspiration photos.

Obviously, you like the aesthetic look of low beds. Go for it to get that look you are drawn to, at least in one section of the room. If you do so, yes, it will take up less visual space, you could probably see some of the floor on the other side of the bed, can see more curtains, and it will make the ceilings seem taller, i.e., the room bigger. Replace night stands with wicker or airy side tables in light wood if you want that inspiration photo look. Oliviag is right that it needs to be in it's own zone, easy to do with a rug. Figure out how to add more plants without cluttering up the place.

I like the couch and desk facing the window, because you say you spend time at the desk, coffee table, and couch. Guests also have a further focal point, tricking the eye, so it does not feel as small in your house.

However, there is too much white. White walls, white curtains, white couch, white dresser, white coffee table legs, white desk. Get some light woods in there for more texture. Keep the white curtains, rethink the other items for a more tropical look.

You don't necessarily have large bulky furniture, but it looks like it given your space. I have the same 3-drawer Ikea chest that your tv rests on. It looks tiny in my bedroom, large in yours. I would want to take that away as well and put a Parson's table you had mentioned in it's place, maybe hang the tv.

Three things I need from you. We are worried about your storage, so please inform us more of your storage needs/what other storage space you have. If you take away your side tables and 3-drawer chest, you lose precious storage space, which you may need, but those do not work in that space aesthetically. Low bed will also take away potential storage. Is that closet bigger than it looks? Also, you can declutter, but you cannot decorate, you say. Please post more inspiration photos so we can figure out better what color scheme textures YOU are drawn to.

Lastly, I am in the process of downsizing my office and it is hard. How do you keep all of your office in your desk, if I read that correctly? Details please.

HU-902558381 thanked HU-245049435
  • HU-245049435
    5 years ago

Other information that would help you. We all have meaningful items in our lives. What do you really love in your space, furniture, artwork, lamps. What can you take out and what do you want to keep in. For example, you just bought your couch so that will stay. What are you attached to?

• HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love, love, love you guy’s ideas!! You guys are so thoughtful and talented at this- thank you so much- I am so impressed :)!

So far, I’ve ordered curtains rings for the closet, and my boyfriend has agreed to move the furniture around with me on Sunday according to your suggestions :)! I’ve also found this low bed frame that I’m eyeing... and have identified more clothes to let go of... :)

More floor space would be amazing, and those storage coffee tables would be so handy for little projects I’m working on... When I get home today, I will post a picture of the bed to the kitchen :)

The closet is the same size it appears in the photos... relatively small and doesn’t go up high at all. Currently, I have my clothes, shoes, purses, printer, easel, suitcase, linens/towels/extra throw pillows, vaccum, and memory box in there (basically, a catch-all for most of my smaller items). It’s pretty organized, and still has a bit of space. I think I can organize/declutter further and put some of the items from the side tables in there :)! Then I can replace the side tables or the dresser with airier ones, maybe the light wood and leggy as suggested. Will have to really assess what storage space I need after I do that (this week).

As for downsizing your office, I once read that you should have everything at arm’s reach of your chair for peak productivity (like your car has all the controls at arm’s reach to function without having to move). In my top drawer on the left, there are business cards, usb sticks, post-it’s, a calculator, the basics I grab for a lot. Middle drawer is notebooks with different genres/ideas. Bottom left drawer is excess office supplies: empty notebooks, printer paper, manila files, lined paper. On the right, top drawer are work files and bottom drawer is personal files. Other than my printer, I can access everything without leaving my chair- but it took a month of decluttering to get there- I bet you can condense and accomplish what you are aiming for :) Start with decluttering excess paperwork- that’s what I see make a difference in most in offices! Go on paperless and auto payments to reduce paper bill space, and let go of things that you could use, but will probably not. Everything ‘could’ have a potential use, and that is where the problem often lies :) One of my clients told me a couple weeks ago, “let’s get real, I like it, but will I ever actually use it?” lol, with that mindset, cleared out an SUV load that day. Good luck!

• arch123
    5 years ago

Have not read all the comments - I might be repeating but my thoughts are that it all seems to drapey - the bed and the windows and even the sofa - I would go for a cleaner, tighter look for the bed and windows and maybe replace the sofa with two or one small chairs - maybe nelson type or MCM - could the desk chair also work for the conversation area?

HU-902558381 thanked arch123
  • HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For items to stay: Thinking about it, I love my mattress, my desk, my couch, and the two paintings above my bed (I painted one, and my dad painted the other). I do really like the zebra wood on the floor lamps (but they don’t show through in the pictures), and the curtains.

I don’t necessarily love: the bed frame, side tables, dresser, dining table, and coffee table... the picture above the couch is more for inspiration on a minimal/clear space, but that could go :)

My favorite inspiration photos are the other ones, but here are some more- they may not work for my space at all, but I saved them because they made me relaxed and happy:

• HU-902558381
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Arch123: yes, I think it may be too drapey- I just wrote this down and will think of a way to clean and tighten it up- thank you :)!

• gm_tx
    5 years ago

Great space! Lucky you!

What about swapping your sofa and bed, and hanging a ceiling-mounted white sheer curtain about half the length of your bed, to visually separate it from the front door? You could even place a slim console table in front of the curtain, and use it as place to drop keys and such when you walk in the door. If you style it sparingly, I don't think it would look cluttered.

You could also place the slim console by the sofa, perpendicular to the door, and use the same way.

By the bed, though, it could double as a nightstand, if you just draw back the curtain at night.

In this layout, you could either keep the dresser and desk where they are; or, essentially swap the TV and desk locations: Get a lower media console to run along the long window wall, and place the TV there, and get a smaller desk for the niche.

I think it was mentioned above, but I'd also suggest getting a glass (oval?) coffee table, to take up less space visually.

• judymn
    5 years ago

following

• lizzierobin
    5 years ago

Was thinking, if you move the bed to where the couch currently is, you could get a headboard with a little depth, that could work kinda like a shelf and as your pseudo nightstand. You could either wall mount lights above the bed-or that shelf would have lights and a little space for what else you’d need. Kleenex, books...etc. if anything, facing the windows from your bed would be a beautiful view to wake up to. So many great suggestions here! :-)

• rockybird
    5 years ago

This is similar to above what is posted above, but I would put the sofa facing the view, with a small table with a tv on it in the corner. I’d try to add a divider to keep the sleeping area a little separate. It could be curtains, shelves or a cute folding screen. I’d replace the dresser with a large storage unit, maybe a PAX unit?

The ikea shelf unit listed in this article could be cute, and stands alone. It might e kind of wide, but maybe you wouldnt even need a nightstand if it was against the bed..you could use the shelf as a nightstand.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/ideas/201811_idor01a/