SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question on cutting back climbing rose

Lynn Nevins
5 years ago

Hi all!

I have never grown roses, but I'm sure it's a type of flower that has its own set of practices and do's and don'ts...

That said, I am familiar with growing perennials in general, and I know that in many instances, old growth can be cut back, and that new growth will do just fine, re-appearing each successive year. However, I know there are other plants (i.e., hydrangea, blueberry shrubs, etc.) where you need a mix of old growth and new growth to ensure flowering each year.

So.... I just bought a climbing rose. My plan is to keep it in a large pot alongside a trellis of sorts, on my rooftop. However, it's entirely possible that from time to time I may have to move the pot to another location on the rooftop, or else on my balcony.

Once the plant has established itself and started growing onto the trellis, if I need to move the pot, ergo cut back all the stems to say 6" or so from the soil line, will that compromise the overall plant, or should it have no problem growing again and developing flowers?

Thanks!!

https://www.prairienursery.com/store/native-plants/climbing-prairie-rose-rosa-setigera#.W6fPmWhKg2w

Comments (7)