SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_thomas44

Solar Tax Credit Advice?

Addition Planner
5 years ago

We're planning on building an addition on our house this winter/spring, and will re-roof both the existing and new structures at the same time. I know next year is the last year for the full 30% national solar tax credit. I still need to get estimates and all that, but here's my two big questions:

1. People seem on the fence about whether you can include the cost of the roof in the 30%, but most signs (e.g., the solarize-your-neighborhood community rep I spoke to, Turbotax FAQs, solar company info) seem to be giving a tentative "all signs point to yes." Has anyone done this, and either had problems or not had problems with including the roof costs in the credit?

2. Someone mentioned that because it's a tax CREDIT, I won't be able to claim it fully unless I *owe* taxes for the year. For this year, we've used the tax calculator to try to make our withholdings as exact as possible. If I do go ahead, would I try to "short" my withholdings for next year by the amount of the credit? Am I right in thinking that if I owe $0 in taxes I would not get the credit and would have to see what I could rollover to the next year?

Any other tips from someone who has done this? I saw that you have to be sure you OWN the system and are not leasing it from the solar company to claim the credit. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored