SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_142303158

I thought I could take care of one of these things but i can't.

What did I do wrong?

The new leaves that were sprouting are drooping and never turned dark green and one by one leaves have started dying.

I did everything the internet told me to so i don't know what's wrong.

I really don't know what else to say I'm sorry.

Comments (8)

• Robdb8
    5 years ago

Drainage hole, well-draining soil, warm (above 50ish) temps, letting dry out between waterings? From your post, it seems as if you've been reading the forum for a while?

• Solaire of Astora
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The pot has a drainage hole and I have let it dry out between waterings, as far as I can tell by feeling the upper dirt. I water it every 2 weeks or so. I'm in Florida so the temps stay pretty warm in the house. I have been reading up on them since I got it and it seemed to be doing pretty well, even producing new shoots, but the ones in the middle have turned yellow and are a little droopy. I'm wondering if because it's Florida and it's rained a lot this summer, that maybe I should have been watering even less? And that maybe it needs a bit more sun? Maybe I should repot and add something a little more gritty so it drains better?

• Robdb8
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sans do just fine in partial sun. At this point, you should probably let it dry out completely. The soil from your picture looks damp, I'd redo it if you like to be a little heavier on watering. Best soil from most people's posts tends to be cactus and succulent mix with added perlite, this ensures a well-draining, lightweight, and porous mix... but when you repot, I would still hold off a little while to let the plant recuperate. Remove all rotted material when you repot as well, leaves or roots... if there is rot, it will spread. This is just based on my experience, hopefully, someone else will chime in soon and add to it.

• woodnative
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The new leaves emerge a little lighter but I see those central leaves and it looks like a pup on the side emerging very light. Also those central leaves are far larger than they should be.....both indicating lack of light? Did all of those emerge under your care or were they starting to grow when you got the plant?? It almost seems like those leaves emerged when it was in a very dark room, but I see it is right by a window(?). I don't think a watering issue but not sure what is going on......

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    5 years ago

I don't think that's a window. Looks more like it's on a sink in the bathroom. What looks like a window is a mirror

• robinswfl
    5 years ago

I myself am afraid that your plant is either dead or dying. Of the leaves that I see, the two near the top are yellowed and one appears a bit withered, yet I see brown and drying leaves at the bottom. You say you live in Florida and wonder if the plant is dying because we have had so much rain. To me, that suggests that you are keeping your plant outside.

If you are, and if your plant is not under some type of cover or roof, then you don't need to be watering it every 2 weeks, at least not during the rainy season. Your soil looks very rich -- not enough drainage material -- for a plant that is outside in Florida. If I were you, I would remove it from the pot and see if there are any decent roots. If so, remove all the dead and dying leaves and try to save what's still alive -- with a blend of C/S soil and WASHED perlite that is probably 60/40, if you're going to keep it outside. Just for comparison, I have about 20 Sans that are outside under a covered lanai. Most are medium to large size, and even though they are covered by a roof, I water them every 2 or 3 weeks. More Sans have been killed by over-watering than anything else, IMHO. But -- give it a try and see if you can save and regrow it.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    5 years ago

Take it out of the pot and set it on newspapers. If the paper get wet, you have way too much water in the soil. Let it dry out completely. Don't tear apart the roots now because in it's weaken state it may finish it. Most sans do well when they get almost no water. Also it looks like it was grown in a back closet with no lights what so ever.