SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

Do you like to dance?

yeonassky
5 years ago

If so where do you go dancing and what type of music do you dance to? Also where did you go dancing last time?

I love to dance! DH can be persuaded to go with me. We now seem to dance only at summer festivals and now only go to one or two a year.

We like rock and country rock. I like to dance to pop as well but DH doesn't care for it as much.

Our last time dancing was at the Hope Brigade days on Labour Day weekend.

We enjoyed the first band, Swampwater more than the second band April Wine. April wine's voices were not as good as they used to be. We sort of swayed to the music and stayed most of the time. We would see Swampwater again though.

On and off I turn on the music here at home and I dance around the house. :) I have a few music and dance pictures for inspiration. For one of the pics I found a dance video which brings it to life.

Comments (17)

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Singing Butler dancing video:

https://youtu.be/dTH0jdolKkg

• chispa
    5 years ago

In my 20's I went dancing nearly every Friday and Saturday night. These days not so much. We just don't end up at events that have dancing. We do go to the yearly school fundraiser, which is a big fancy event and do a bit of dancing.

yeonassky thanked chispa
  • pudgeder
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have 2 left feet. Unfortunately, I never learned.

However, I do dance around the house occasionally with the grandkids. ;)

yeonassky thanked pudgeder
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

My DH & I met in the 7th grade and we say that our first real "date" was a dance at our school. Boys on one side of the room, girls on the other. The music was on but no one was dancing. My DH, the brave boy, was the first one to make that long walk across the room to ask me. I think the first dance was a twist. We also cha-cha'd and slow danced. It was an exciting night.

We still love to dance, but there just don't seem to be places to do that anymore. We dance at home, of course, but the last time we danced in public was at our son's wedding two years ago.

yeonassky thanked dragonflywings42
  • party_music50
    5 years ago

I just remembered that I won a dance contest they had when I was in grade school. :) My partner was a friend who also loved to dance -- he went on to dance with the NY ballet!

yeonassky thanked party_music50
  • Springroz
    5 years ago

I love to dance!! These days, mostly line dancing at our local Senior Center, which most think of as country, but we manage to only use a few country songs! We entertain at nursing and assisted living centers, dance at park concerts, and recently auditioned and were chosen for our local “.....’s Got Talent” competition.

yeonassky thanked Springroz
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I go the Y for Zumba and cardio funk classes. i'm not really a dancer, but we have some great instructors with dance backgrounds who make the classes a lot of fun and good workout.

We listen to hard rock/metal and classic rock, so it's not really dance music.

MIL does Carolina shag. She and DH's aunt go to Myrtle Beach for the Shag on Strand.

yeonassky thanked gsciencechick
  • deegw
    5 years ago

I had a mean girl make fun of my dancing in 5th grade, which ruined public dancing for me. She was right, I was self conscious and wooden but she still should have kept her mouth shut.

I'm far better now but haven't danced in public in years.

yeonassky thanked deegw
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So sorry to read about that mean girl and I agree she should have kept her mouth shut d_ gw. I think everyone should dance even if it's just tapping your toes. But that's just me because I have loved dancing since I was little.

One of our announcers on the CBC Radio, Lisa, is very interested in heavy metal and gives us bits and pieces of it and that gives us some exposure to that. I love all kinds of different music. That's why I loved the hot topics Friday night music thread.

Apparently the cult is a heavy metal band that people dance to.

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Not sure that the cult is really a heavy metal band though. I'd have to ask you gsciencechick or Lisa :-)

Thanks for the interesting answers. I see lots of people out dancing but not particularly around my age.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I absolutely love to dance. In my younger days I was on the dance floor as often as possible. Mom and dad loved to dance and so did my sisters. We would all go dancing in the Cajun zydeco joints, whole families together on the dance floor. Wonderful. Today I dance in my wheelchair and I dance in my chair, where ever I am and hear the right music I find myself dancing. Moving to the music. I love watching YouTube videos of dancing. I can spend hours watching and moving.

yeonassky thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • frankginakay
    5 years ago

My husband plays in a band (as a hobby) so I get to dance... with other band wives, if that counts! They play Classic Rock, music from the 60's-80's. Fun music that you sing along to. It really is a lot of fun and they play at Country Clubs in our area of SW Florida!

yeonassky thanked frankginakay
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I love to dance; my husband does too, so that works out well.

yeonassky thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Lars
    5 years ago

In my 20s in San Francisco, I lived two blocks from my favorite disco, and so I used to go almost every week-night. On week-ends there was a $2 cover charge that I did not want to pay, and so I just paid the 25 cent coat check fee when I got it. It was always too cold at night to go out without a jacket. I did not drink, and so the disco really did not make money on me, but they probably needed people for tourists to dance with, and so I don't think they cared. Also, it was not that crowded on week-nights.

In Mexico City I would go to a salsa club with friends I had there, and so I got pretty good at salsa dancing. By my 40s, I had stopped going out to dance. My niece belongs to a group that does swing dancing, but her husband does not, and so he lets her go out by herself and dance with other men.

yeonassky thanked Lars
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Danced a lot to the Cult, LOL! There was even a club remix of that song. They're a little bit of goth, classic rock, and metal so they have a pretty broad appeal. Love those guys. I have been seeing them since the 80's including a few times in Toronto. I have had a huge "crush" on Ian Astbury forever and DH take it in stride. He still has amazing hair . They just finished a big tour with Bush and Stone Temple Pilots, but they didn't do any shows locally--the closest was Nashville. I had my gallbladder surgery and really couldn't travel, then school started. The show at Red Rocks was supposedly awesome. Just had to live vicariously through Instagram.

yeonassky thanked gsciencechick
  • User
    5 years ago

I learned to dance from my father. Such a great dancer, still is at almost 85. I love to see him dance with my mom, they so go together. When I get back there to visit I always dance with him to Dance with my Father Again. And yes, I cry all the way through.

i adore dancing. Any kind. Salsa is one of my favorites. My toes and hips and shoulders are always moving if music is playing.

yeonassky thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    5 years ago

I love to dance, but prefer to do so solo. A crowded dance floor in a group is where I'm happy, or at a concert or music festival where others are bopping away to the music as well. Couples dancing is not my thing, even though I admire others who can dance well with a partner. DH and I took salsa lessons a few years ago in a group class where we were expected to change partners regularly during each lesson. I didn't care for that, as it placed me with all different levels of dancers (the good ones made me especially self-conscious, because I had a hard time getting the steps right and felt I was limiting their experience), and DH and I wanted to learn to salsa so that we could dance together, not with others. Anyway, I was a dropout, while he went on to complete the beginner's class, just to be able to say he had stuck it out.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County