SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_devol

Ponytail palm leaves breaking

Jill DeVol
5 years ago

Something like 90% of my ponytail palms leaves have kinked and broken. The bonsai shop said it was because the leaves are hitting the table and to trim them, but those leaves are actually mostly fine, the ones that are broken aren't hitting the table. I thought maybe it was etiolated so I just added a supplemental light a couple days ago, but since I started using it just for an hour or two a day a good foot above the tree, the leaves are drying out too much like its frying. (Im using the same light 6in over another newer, less estsblished ponytail and that one is fine ‍♀️). The new growth was red and now is progressing to dried out brown. I'm also seeing this brown in the middle as pictured of leaves that were previously healthy and then they split, that's new since I added the light. I've had some trouble with watering, it shows signs of thirst and stress but it also gets a few sickly yellow leaves on occasion, which I thought was related to overwatering but now I'm not so sure because this last time they appeared three weeks after watering and the tree had long since dried out. Don't know where I'm going wrong. It's planted in very well draining bonsai soil, dry all the way down within a day or so, watered every 3ish weeks if showing signs of thirst until water drains out the bottom.

Is it just etiolated and needing me to introduce the supplemental light more gradually? (Is it actually etiolated? The bonsai shop said no but I don't think I believe them.) Is it being kept too thirsty? Why do I get gross yellow leaf tips when the plant isn't wet? What gives?

Comments (2)

Sponsored