SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmfruit

How many things have you ripped out?

nmfruit
5 years ago

I know my situation may not be typical, but I wonder how many people share similar experiences... Right now I am in a contraction phase with my fruit going. For many years I just kept adding plants, trying out new things, and converting larger areas of my yard into (optimistically) fruit growing space.

But, the ravages of the local conditions (mediocre soil, gopher hell, intensifying aridity, high cost of water, other climate and weather issues, etc.) have made me narrow my focus to things that I can't easily find or that are expensive in markets, and that my family really likes to eat. But most of all, I have had to stick to things that do really well with a minimum of hassle.

So now I find myself growing only a fraction of the total number of species I have had in the ground over the years! Though I refuse to give up on certain things (I'm keeping a few apricot trees, some peaches, and cherries even though I don't get many harvests due to late spring frosts), I now recognize only a very few that are worthwhile to plant more of.

These are:

• raspberries
  • jujube
  • grapes
  • mulberry hybrids
  • autumn olive

And now a list of some of the things that I have ripped out:

• goji
  • blackberry
  • black raspberry
  • rosa rugosa
  • pomegranate
  • fig
  • seaberry
  • gooseberry
  • golden currant
  • plums

Plants that I am still trialing include:

• maypop
  • American persimmon
  • wineberry

Is this just crazy, or are there others of you out there who have been through this? I would love to hear about it, particularly if you have had experience with any of the same plants.

Thanks

Comments (12)