SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadia_aslam11

Improving exterior appearance

Nadia Aslam
5 years ago

We purchased a 1989 home and while we've made the interior our own, we feel like something is not quite right with the exterior and looks off-balance. We are willing to put in a bit of money to somehow fix the look (like changing window sizes, new front door or garage door, or textures for example.) You can see from the side-elevation pic where I outlined in red, we are already changing that to a double glass door to match the width of the window below it (to add organization to the windows).

We prefer modern or modern cottage/farmhouse style. We like the white-black motif for colors if we were to paint, but we have white vinyl windows so not sure if just paintnig the trim around the windows will give the right effect.

We are thinking to either change it to:

1) Modern:Try to make it feel modern, maybe adding sections of wood siding in a modern look (see inspo before and after pic)

2) Modern Cottage: Try to make it like a modern cottage --which is a great compromise but not sure how to execute it (see attached white-black homes)

3) Just make it a cuter cottage/ranch (whatever it is) and forgo our preferred architectural styles above, and just embrace what it is--maybe add shutters or window boxes?

Any suggestions on how to execute the styles above? I really need those designers on HGTV to make a photoshop edit to show me what my home is like---how can I find those people!?

Attached are pictures of the home, we have two fireplaces that are covered in a rounded brick/pebble like facade and then stucco thats like a grey-with a purple hue to it. The roof is a brown concrete-tile that is straight not rounded/spanish style

And attached is a modern home and modern cottage home

Comments (26)