SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpoanie

The Company Store......grrrrr

Joaniepoanie
5 years ago

Piggybacking on Shee’s “outlet bedding” thread we are redoing our bedroom and I found numerous duvets I liked at Company Store....but matching shams are sold out and no back order. WTH? Do that many people buy patterened shams only? Why wouldn't CS make sure they have plenty of shams to go with every duvets and comforter? Sooooo frustrating. Now I’m back to square one and I’ve shopped at every online store I can think of.

Comments (25)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Have your tried Garnet Hill. Yes, more expensive than The Company Store, but the quality is terrific.

I was watching a quilt until it went on sale. So, sales can be had!

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

I wonder if it's because The Company Store is now owned by Home Depot.

https://www.retailwire.com/discussion/what-will-the-company-store-do-for-home-depot/

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

Are they sale duvets? This has always been an issue at The Company Store with sales — and esp this time of year (back to school?). Garnet hill too with sale items.

Yes. People mix and match. Also there is the one duvet and 4 pillows situation.

The turnover of patterns is high at both stores. I appreciate it — but it’s a pain if you’re late to the style

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Just in case anyone here is looking for down comforters, Warm Things is a great Northern California company with a solid selection of quality comforters in various weights and construction types. They also sell some bedding.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that The Company Store was bought by Home Depot! I have bought from them for years and have always been completely happy with every purchase. Guess it will now be only Cuddledown in Maine, unless I discover they have been bought out, too. Sigh.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cyn - Since we moved last year I've purchased several bedspreads, coverlets and shams from the Company Store and since I ordered online I had to exchange quite a few because the color wasn't quite right. As recently as last month I had to return an item and the customer service people were just as helpful as ever - I even commented that I was aware of the ownership change but was pleased that the customer Service phone reps seemed just as helpful.

My new bed is 11" off the floor and with the new, taller mattresses I had trouble finding a comforter/duvet/coverlet that I liked. I do not like bed skirts so I needed a cover that was large enough to cover both mattresses and the bed frame. I found an oversize matelasse bedspread at The Company Store that was large enough to use as an oversize coverlet - works perfectly. And they also had shams and decorative pillows to match.

I've been ordering from them for over 30 years so I'll continue unless I see a change for the worse.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I also just ordered from The Co.Store. A flat sheet, a fitted, and std. pillowcases, plus a twin duvet cover. I have plenty of light comforters so figured I'd save money and just buy the cover. I got free shipping and was so happy, but after a hung up and thought about the total cost of my order (!) I wondered if they had made a mistake. Yeah, I got free shipping, but $14 in tax was added. :(

• maggieq
    5 years ago

Have used Company Store bedding for years, and often experience the lack of sizes/pieces on sale items. If you sew, you can buy a flat sheet and make your own pillow shams. Have also done that to get pillowcases to match.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

My matching pillowcases fade or become stained after so many years. Then finding the same pattern is pretty much impossible. The idea of buying an extra flat sheet to make pillow shams or cases is a good one, IF I could sew.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

MaireCate, so glad service hasn't changed. I just try to buy from small companies whenever I can.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

As long as you are in no hurry for delivery, check out zulily.com I have bought 2 coverlet sets from them over the past 10 years, both still look nearly new. Shipping can take up to 8 weeks though.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I imagine that some people buy shams for lots of pillows, not just the requisite 2 that sets often have.

I really like zulily's deals too. Sometimes the orders are fulfilled quickly, sometimes it takes longer.

Recently, I had ordered a pair of shoes I really, really wanted and they communicated to me that the shipping would be delayed beyond their accepted limit. I replied I was willing to wait, but they cancelled the order after more wait time, refunded my $$, and gave me a $20 credit for my trouble.

They do have a 'ready-to-ship' category of items w/ no lag time.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Update on my Company Store order. Package came today. I thought I'd try sateen sheets.....I unpacked one pillow case and decided sateen is not for me. Yes I knew what sateen was, just never had sheets of the material. So I repacked and put the return label on the box. Since I had gotten free shipping I was curious. I called Co.Store. Yes, of course I have to pay for return shipping but I did grumble a bit. Co. Store rep said, "We don't make any money on shipping!"

I took it to the UPS store and the postage was $15.55. When I made a face, the UPS lady asked if I wanted to continue to ship. I answered yes as I didn't want the merchandise. She added that many people decide to keep it instead of paying the high postage. Well, I wasn't going to keep $243 worth of bedding I wouldn't use!

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ordered the duvet I wanted tonight from CS and an extra one in a smaller size to make my own shams. I didnt want to have to make shams but I had looked high and low for new bedding and DH and I liked this one best. I also ordered sheets (I don’t like sateen either) and they had bath rugs on clearance so got 3 of those as well. Now on to a rug, lamps, blackout curtains and maybe a chandy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I miss their sheers. I used to order them frequently. I have had some towels from Co. Store for YEARS, still nice.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh darn... now I wish I had tried their towels. Still makes me mad though that they run out of shams to coordinate with the duvets/comforters and I’m forced to make my own.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update.....i get an email today stating that the duvet I ordered is no longer available. What? Why was I allowed to order it? Isn’t their inventory tied to the ordering system? So grrrrr again to the CS. I’ll never order from them again. Im back to square one looking for new bedding and I feel like I have exhausted all avenues.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Now I know why there was a Home Depot catalog in my package, along with a Co.Store catalog. I thought it was strange.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

I’ve sometimes found matching shams/accessories for bedding on another website by searching for the pattern name.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Bad thread for me. Never heard of Cuddledown before. Just bought two new down comforters, yikes. Teaches me for lurking!

• Cat Chandler-Tressler
    3 years ago

I see people on here talking about Cuddledown - READ ONLINE REVIEWS before buying. Their stuff is apparently made in China and is horrible quality now. Check out BBB and Yelp reviews before purchasing anything!!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I bought a few things over the years at the Company Store as we have almost no stores that sell anything along the lines of quality bedding locally. But my experience with Home Depot customer service has been dismal. So dismal we now drive 20 min. to next town over to shop Menards when possible. The selection at HD usually is sub par too. Not saying I never get anything there, but fewer and fewer things as time has gone on . . . sigh. I have so much bedding though, I am probably good for the rest of my days . . .

• bpath
    3 years ago

Cat, it‘s a three-year-old thread. Seriously.

• PRO
    Gallery Ali
    2 years ago

Bpath. It might be a 3 year old thread, but it is still usefull for people picking between cuddledown and company store pillows, or whatever. Cats review was helpful to me. I did go to the BBB reviews and saw that other people had some trouble with charges from them. This hapened to me in 2016 with Cuddledown. A discount was not applied and when I called, I was told the difference would be refunded, but it wasn’t. I love their pillows so I was just checking recent reviews. When I did a google search for, ”Cuddledown versus comapny store”, a link to this houzz conversation was the first link google search provided. So, seriously…no need to harass Cat because she provided her opinion and relevant information.