SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Problems with Monarch cats

caterwallin
5 years ago

I have tropical milkweed planting in the garden and have been finding hundreds of eggs and cats (the ones I miss as eggs) and bringing them inside over at least the past month. Then my daughter feeds them and cleans the containers that we put them in. We had great luck with them at first, but now for about the past week we've had a lot of them die. We either find them hanging limp or lying in the bottom of the containers dead. Sometimes there is a mess of black goop under them. It's very discouraging!

At first I thought it was some kind of a disease, but now my daughter mentioned to me seeing some kind of small insect flying out of some of the containers. I haven't seen them so can't really describe them other to say what she's told me, that they fly out when she opens the lid and they're two or three times bigger than a fruit fly. I'm assuming that they're small enough to be able to fit through the screen that I have put on part of the lids of the containers. I'm assuming that something flew in there and laid their eggs in the cats just like the tachinid flies would sometimes when we'd find a caterpillar outside after a tachinid fly has already gotten to it. So I'm kind of assuming that these "flies" are the offspring of whatever insect got in there in the first place. I haven't seen any pupae of any kind unless they're so darn small they're almost microscopic or they blend in with the cat frass.

My daughter has been disinfecting the containers with Lysol wipes if that helps get rid of any diseases that might be going around. I was hoping that since we have them in so many shoebox-sized containers instead of one or two huge storage containers that that would help prevent the spread of disease if the problem is something that can be passed around, but they keep dying. It isn't just happening in one container but in all 20 or so containers

We've released hundreds of Monarchs this year and I had said to my daughter soon after the Monarchs started showing up here this year that the way it was going she might just pass her record of 650 or so last year, but now with all of these casualties I'm having my doubts.

We were just at Walmart and bought some of the same shoebox plastic storage containers with the lids, only now we're going to leave them as they are instead of cutting a big long hole in the top and putting screen in its place. That way if something has been flying in the containers, I'd think that should put an end to that. I just don't like the fact that then there will be a lot of condensation in the containers with no air flow, and I'm not sure how much oxygen the cats need each day. I've been doing this since 2005 and have never felt so baffled with what's wrong and what is the solution.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm at a loss what to think

Comments (5)

Sponsored