SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaceman13_gw

Monarch eggs & cats - first in 3 years

spaceman13
9 years ago

I always cut my Asclepias Syriaca down in mid summer when the pods start to get big (so I don't have to deal with all the seeds) and they would quickly re-sprout new shoots which would be 2-3 feet tall with many new leaves for the southbound migration. This year I cut them late, as I hadn't seen a single Monarch in two years. I put some powdered diatomaceous earth on them to see if it would kill all the flies that seemed to love to hang out on the milkweed, or the aphids or whatever. I had cut 9 of the 10 canes, and when I went back for the last one, and there was a Monarch!
I watched as she laid an egg then found another the next day, which I took into the house to raise. I washed the DE off the remaining stem as best I could. Since that day, I've seen Monarchs almost daily!

I now have a 3rd instar, a 2nd, 3-1st instars and 3 eggs. The only problem is I cut my milkweed late, and the 2 older cats have devoured the only shoot that came up, and the one I didn't cut is yellowing and nasty looking. I went to the field where I used to collect milkweed leaves before I transplanted some in my yard, and it is all yellowing and nasty looking. I have one small voulinteer from an Asclepias Curassavica, and I'm afraid I wont have enough food for all the little dearies I have in my enclosures.

I'm hoping to find some decent milkweed to get the little dearies to butterflys and send them Southward, but I may have to go back and forth from field grown common milkweed to nursery bought tropical, wherever I can find it.

Can the caterpillars be switched from A. Syriaca to A. Curassavica and vice versa without problems?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022