SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsals12

Looking for tree selection advice...

Dawn Salsbury
5 years ago

Forgive me, this picture is two years old but I haven't had a chance to take another, it was taken in early fall after we moved into our new home. It hasn't grown much taller but it is certainly a lot fuller and bushier. Over the last two years I have grown to despise the 4 giant maples, 2 dwarf japanese maples and 1 lace leaf japanese maple on our property. Except the 4 larger trees, we believe the 3 other maples were planted shortly before our house went on the market so they are now 2-3 years old.

Our 4 giant maples seem to have something to mess up our yard with for every season and when they're not doing that they're murdering whatever plants were planted under them. I had been tolerating the smaller trees because other then leaves they haven't really been a problem. However, I just noticed the other day that this tree now has helicopters on some of the branches and the two liriope plants closest to it are dying (not terribly visible in the photo sorry but there are 6 liriope planted around the rock in the middle), it never did this before! Now that it has decided to be messy and murder-y like our other giant maples, it's got to go.

This is a southern exposure area (zone 6) and we could really use some shade on that side of our 2-story house but I don't want something that will get too big. It can't be too messy and we need something fairly low maintenance/disease free. As a kid we had these gorgeous giant tulip trees in our yard which I adored, I've found a dwarf variety that will only grow about 20' but I'm thinking that may be too big? I've also considered a dogwood or maybe magnolia, but I think they might grow too wide for this area. There is maybe a 10-12ft radius of grass around this island. I'm at a loss as to what kind of tree would be good for this spot.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (3)