SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_503322111

Bulging outer balloon stud wall

HU-503322111
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am in the process of purchasing an older home that was built maybe in the 1800s. The home has an unfinished basement, and two stories above with an attic for third level. Home inspection determined that the front outer facing wall is bulging outwards a little at just above the center line. It has a full brick foundation for most of the house and brick crawlspace in 2 portions. all of which need re-pointing in some places

Normally these things would scare away potential buyers. But my reason for buying the home is as a land value investment and to get a 10 to 15 years out of it after which I might decide to gut it down and sell as land or build something else there. It is currently a 2 family rental with people occupying it continuously for past several years without any known issues.

Floors in some rooms of both levels are not level but not noticeable unless you are a home inspector or put a level on the floor. Some doors in the house don't properly shut - nothing that cannot be fixed.

So the question I have been trying to find an answer is what if I leave things as they are? Will I be able to get the 15 years I am seeking out of it? I know bulging studs could be fixed, but should I really do it?

Comments (25)