SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

How difficult to take out these junipers? (Zone 7B, Birmingham, AL)

CJ Mac
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We had these junipers planted 10 years ago as the slope was too hard to mow (wrong kind: I had asked for Pacific blue). They have spread onto our neighbor's property, but they probably have appreciated them as well since they don't have to mow that area, either. However, the woman has found vines to be her solution to everything, and it's a nonstop battle keeping them from taking over our yard from front to back.

A landscaping company was going to remove the junipers and plant some shrubs there instead, but long story short, they didn't. And they didn't even clear out the vines as they had promised: they said they never go on a neighbor's property.

So how big of a job do you think it would be to have someone else come out, dig those up, and plant something else there? You can see the utility boxes in there.

My plan is that if we have small shrubs or perhaps dwarf tea olives planted (we have one in front of the house), she couldn't let her vines just take over because the vines would be more obviously out of place--and she does have a lawn crew come every week to mow and trim who could maintain them.

How much obligation to we have to her in doing this? I would of course tell her what the plan is, but do we need to replace sod where it would have stopped growing with all the vines and junipers? Being Bermuda, it will certainly come back in time.

In the photos below, all the new growth sticking out to the left and up in the air are from the vines on her masonry wall.

Those are Miss Huff lantanas around our junipers which the landscaping company told me will grow up high enough to cover the junipers and look very nice. I love Miss Huffs, but this just looks messy to me.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living