SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Has anyone tried 'Al's gritty mix' for conifers?

maple_grove_gw
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'll be potting up some of my dwarf conifer cultivars this weekend. In a recent post here, someone provided a link to a prodigious post about soils for containers, over in the container gardening forum. The primary author described two mixes, one which primarily consists of 3:1:1 pine bark-peat-perlite, and a second grittier mix, consisting of equal parts of pine bark, Turface, and perlite. He states that the first mix is only good for a single growing season, and the second is to be preferred for woody plants that will go >1 season in the container.

Several questions: do people here agree that a primarily organic-based potting mix needs replacement (entailing complete bare-rooting of the plant and at each repotting) every year? And second, has anyone tried the gritty mix or anything similar? How did it work? I have, until now, used a mix of roughly equal parts pine bark, peat and perlite in my conifer mixes. The author is pretty downbeat on the use of peat at anything more than ~20% due to its relatively rapid decomposition to smaller particles and the resulting impact on aeration. Any thoughts?

I know this subject has come up recently in some other posts on this forum and I'm sorry if this sounds like a rehash. I'm mainly interested in anyone's experience with "Al's gritty mix".

Thanks as always,

Alex

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022